Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
All to be expected.

You forgot to mention that the prices will be increased by 30%.
It seems to be another way for Ricoh to bump up the price...

My understanding is that they want to build up enough HIGH PRICE lens line before the ready of FF camera like Canon's red and also mark the price comparable or 50%-100% higher than Canon's (remembering the brute price bump DA* 60-250 F4 for $2000, DA*16-50 $1400, DA*50-135 $1600 last year?)

12-25-2013, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Wonder what that'll do to the resale value of the ones I have already? :-(
If they remove the aperture rings and switch to rounded aperture blades the value of the old glass is likely to go up
12-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QS, WR and DC motor will be instant buy for me... been waiting for update announcement before I jump on the FAs. But then of course, it's going to come with 30% price increase so hopefully there will be BF deal next year
12-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
I suspect part of the reason behind this revamp is to rationalize production and if I am correct we will see QS, rounded blades and loss of aperture rings.
Yes and to rationalize production we shall see a HD DA 300 too. It is a nonsense to keep 2 different coating lines.

12-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WR would make them attractive and fit into the Pentax profile. I would guess they would keep the aperture ring, but who knows. This is all rumored anyway as there was no attribution to the "announced leak".
12-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I have a feeling that the FF offer from Pentax will go in a different direction than K-mount DA (APS-C) option.
I believe they will make a clear distinction between the two, and don't be surprised if every single FF lens comes with an aperture ring. I suspect they will build K-mount APS-C line for speed and convenience, electronic aperture control, etc. But the K-mount FF line for sheer photographic bonanza and amazing shooting experience. It won't be a slouch, though, nor crippled like Nikon Df, but it won't go in direct competition with N and C behemoths; rather, create its own set of values.
I assume the difference will be VERY simple : RICOH will be written on any FF compatible lens / body

That would actually be the simpliest and clearest thing to do.

Lets' recall that it is not what was annouced last summer... BUT ... there are lots of advantages to that option :

1- obvious product-line differenciation
2- no "undefined heritage" with FF/OK DA* or DA lenses, that anybody will be able to use at it's variable and unwaranted expenses on the new FF body line
3- would include some innovations RICOH is aiming at
4- step-by-step continuation of RICOH's logic since PENTAX's take-over in 2010
5- better marketing perspectives once all the "Hoya" problems are treated

Certainly, the FF mount will be the K one, and then, everybody will find it's way...

BTW, happy Christmas everybody !

Last edited by Zygonyx; 12-25-2013 at 10:32 AM.
12-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
QS, WR and DC motor will be instant buy for me... been waiting for update announcement before I jump on the FAs. But then of course, it's going to come with 30% price increase so hopefully there will be BF deal next year
I don't think WR is feasible in the current FA Ltd glass configuration, especially the compactness of the 43 and 77.

12-25-2013, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Ricoh official told publicly about the "revamping" of the three FA Limited lenses, with details as follows:

- The "update" will happen soon,
- The Japanese style green "pearl" of the lens-changing mark on the existing Pentax 31 and 77 Limited lenses will be removed,
- The new lens will still be screw-driven for the AF, i.e., no SDM nor DC nor whatsoever in-lens AF motor,
- New HD lens coating will replace the old SMC one for better performance,
- Ricoh red ring will be added
So only a cosmetic change, like with the hd da limiteds? What a joke! They need to put in dc to justify the high price these days...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I assume the difference will be VERY simple : RICOH will be written on any FF compatible lens / body

That would actually be the simpliest and clearest thing to do.
Confusing things by having to explain how Ricoh lenses would fit Pentax cameras, how Ricoh lenses covers "full frame" while Pentax lenses would cover Q, APS-C, "full frame" or medium format? As opposed to using a new or an existing (D FA) designation for "full frame" compatibility?

I think you're trying to get a reaction here, rather than find a solution

For Ogl - is the source RH's blog, which links to an incomprehensible automated translation from Chinese? I'll paste it here:
QuoteQuote:
After a month into the K3 sale, Pentax Guangzhou preach long missing.
The whole process is relatively boring, talk, hair blow gifts (gift actually pen and picnic mat, but a hundred dollars from quality to price can be a)
In addition to providing K3 body with HD lens applicable, the most Madden is still the problem of presenters talked about three princesses. Moderator preaching process to determine , Ricoh will be refurbished three princesses , according to presenters describe this update will remove the body of metals and burning mirror, renovation coating, while he does not think the SDM AF ~ ~ This may be the preaching will be the greatest value. Ha ha ha, Princess refurbished after coating, purple fringing and anti-glare will be much better - on the floor right Zhang model town, K3 shot not let the test came back, there is no mistake, K3 are on a price to this.
By the way, from the same blog - it's an extreme Pentax hating Sony fanboy enclave now, worse than ever, but from time to time it still has useful links (I never trust the "conclusions", only going for the source); a nice PDF with Impress Japan's interviews with various camera maker officials - including, of course, Ricoh:
http://www.impressjapan.jp/pdf/271401/1113110212free.pdf
(Japanese only; almost 30MB. For Ricoh, go to page 78)
I'm now trying to make sense of it using Google Translate. (Failed. Document protected against copying) Hopefully, some kind Japanese-knowing soul from this forum will chime in and translate for us

Last edited by Kunzite; 12-25-2013 at 10:52 AM.
12-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Well the rumour specifically says the AF will be regular. Not SDM, not DC. So I don't think there will be any big surprises. I mostly see this as an indicator that things are moving, maybe even toward FF.
12-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
mark the price comparable or 50%-100% higher than Canon's (remembering the brute price bump DA* 60-250 F4 for $2000, DA*16-50 $1400, DA*50-135 $1600 last year?)
That'd be crazy. Their lenses even include IS/SR built into the lenses
If they do that, I'm going to have to seriously reconsider switching systems...been debating whether m4/3 is "good enough" for me lately...
12-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I don't think WR is feasible in the current FA Ltd glass configuration, especially the compactness of the 43 and 77.
I just feel they need to put a bit of work into it instead of the HD upgrade to the DA Ltd. That whole 'update' feels like a rip off and missed opportunity. But I think the reality is that they will put minimum amount of work into re-releasing these lenses and perhaps release brand new ones a bit down the road. If it's just cosmetic upgrade I'll definitely continue to wait and see.
12-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you understand the ethos perfectly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I have a feeling that the FF offer from Pentax will go in a different direction than K-mount DA (APS-C) option.
I believe they will make a clear distinction between the two, and don't be surprised if every single FF lens comes with an aperture ring. I suspect they will build K-mount APS-C line for speed and convenience, electronic aperture control, etc. But the K-mount FF line for sheer photographic bonanza and amazing shooting experience. It won't be a slouch, though, nor crippled like Nikon Df, but it won't go in direct competition with N and C behemoths; rather, create its own set of values.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-25-2013 at 12:23 PM.
12-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
By the way, from the same blog - it's an extreme Pentax hating Sony fanboy enclave now, worse than ever, but from time to time it still has useful links (I never trust the "conclusions", only going for the source); a nice PDF with Impress Japan's interviews with various camera maker officials - including, of course, Ricoh:
http://www.impressjapan.jp/pdf/271401/1113110212free.pdf
(Japanese only; almost 30MB. For Ricoh, go to page 78)
I'm now trying to make sense of it using Google Translate. (Failed. Document protected against copying) Hopefully, some kind Japanese-knowing soul from this forum will chime in and translate for us
Well, I'm a computer scientist so a mere password protection will not stop me so easily. It appears to be the baseball interview lensroar translated here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/246044-interview-ch...ing-japan.html
But with the automated translation, who can tell?
12-25-2013, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Where, when? I've missed this.
A few days ago during a Pentax gathering in Guangzhou, China:

Pentax Guangzhou preach return