Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Get real: to compete with Sony, a Samsung FF camera doesn't need a whole complete lineup of lenses. They can buy some rebadgeds lenses from Tokina or/and Tamron, to present a three f/2,8 zooms and few primes selection. The camera will be aimed at current Pentax users with old lenses and Samsung user wanting to "upgrade". It will be a huge loss of money, but still will be do no damage to the company, as the only scope is to answer, marketing-wise, to Sony's flagship.
Yes, but when I met with Samsung at PMA I talked about this. They are trying to find more lens manafacturing capability but I think their is a problem w/ patents or something that is restricting them, and/or an issue that no one wants to make them for them. (official: more lenses, un official: why they can't get them out) They want "pro-lenses" but currently the only way they could get these are through sigma and tamron who at the moment also do not have the added manafacturing capacity to produce that much extra in K-mount (tooled up mainly for C+N, plus sony is puting stress on them too.
I would like to see easer atainable telephotos in K mount like the sigma 300 F2.8 500 F4.5 or 800 F5.6 and the big zooms and the 70-200 F2.8 etc but right now its not happening. Simga is realising they are missing market share now and are kicking themselfs. the K10D was too big of a hit and they realised they missed the ball on it.
And true, Samsung will cut their nose to spite their face to compeat w/ sony (great for us K-mounters) but they do have to realise they must have support for the body first. Sony has just re-tooled al the FF Minolta Lenses, so no crop factor on most. Samsung has relied on Pentax and their line of crop-factor lenses mostly (with excptions I know, but you can not announce a FF with a wopping 3 FF lenses, all primes to fit it)

04-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Samsung has relied on Pentax and their line of crop-factor lenses mostly (with excptions I know, but you can not announce a FF with a wopping 3 FF lenses, all primes to fit it)
But a lot of the "DA" lenses are really FF. E.g., the 50-135, the 300, the 200...they really need a 24-75ish/2.8 zoom really and maybe some really long zooms like 600mm since it's FF.
04-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I am a bit reluctant to share this bit of information with you because I cannot be sure about its origin. But this section is called "rumors", right?

So, here we go: A gentleman from my German forum claims to know from a trustworthy source he isn't going to disclose the following:

The professional camera which is upcoming will be from Samsung, not Pentax. Pentax to stay semi-pro. Likely a GX2. Likely with Samsung CMOS full-frame sensor (same technology base as GX20 sensor, i.e., 5 micron cells). Likely not high frame rate.

It turned out impossible to digg any further
If Samsung has a full frame CMOS sensor, then it would be stupid for Pentax not to have a camera using this sensor. I wonder if the Sony 24mp sensor is affordable and available to Pentax, because that would speed up the process of going full frame for Pentax.
04-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
If Samsung has a full frame CMOS sensor, then it would be stupid for Pentax not to have a camera using this sensor. I wonder if the Sony 24mp sensor is affordable and available to Pentax, because that would speed up the process of going full frame for Pentax.
You like Sony a lot?

I doubt Pentax will ever use Sony sensors after this 10mp CCD.

04-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
You like Sony a lot?

I doubt Pentax will ever use Sony sensors after this 10mp CCD.
I'm not ashamed to say I like the Sony sensors.

Last reference I read was that Pentax were open to using sensors from any source.

bazz.
04-12-2008, 02:34 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
I'm not ashamed to say I like the Sony sensors.

Last reference I read was that Pentax were open to using sensors from any source.

bazz.

I like the Sony 6mp CCD too...but remember, one of Pentax main struggles was Sony delivering Nikon and itself one year before them: one year late in this fastly evolving market is a killer. Having the sensor developed "in house" [at least in the design area] is so important, they won't turn back under Sony slavery. Then i recall Samsung one and only CMOS was for cameraphones...and then *BANG* a 14.6mp advanced one, all of a sudden: they have a lot to thanks to Pentax R&D
04-12-2008, 03:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok folks,

now other sources spreading the rumor seem to pop up.

E.g., by Barney Britton from amateurphotographer.co.uk as pointed out in our forum here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/24863-samasung-hints-f...me-camera.html

Before we all turn there, let me say that my information turned out

- Correct.
- Was from 1 day BEFORE this information leaked on amateurphotographer

Yeaaahh!

04-12-2008, 05:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Or Pentax selling the prints and fixtures for the FA line of lens to Schneider for a tidy profit along with a small royalty would speed things up.
What si the use of that?? I bet the lens formula needs some tweaking for best optical performance, especially as teh FA* lenses appear to contain stuff that makes it impossible to sell in Europe...
04-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
What si the use of that?? I bet the lens formula needs some tweaking for best optical performance, especially as teh FA* lenses appear to contain stuff that makes it impossible to sell in Europe...
You might be right. It seems to me that in this age of cadcam programs and C & C machines developing the needed fixtures and design for production in a short time should not be a problem. I suspect manufacturing capacity is the bottleneck. Sales of all DSLR cameras are up and the demand on all existing capacity is probably running at full speed. It might be a case of new manufacturing facilities are needed.
04-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

If Samsung will go FF, they will need Pentax as Partner. This is due to Samsung being experts in electronics, and Pentax being masters at camera design. One cannot be without the other.
As I see it, a number of the DA lenses, mainly the longer focal length, WILL work with FF and film cameras. Infact I have I have known that the 200mm DA* F2.8 shipped with the FA * 200mm F2.8 manual.....
The only issue would be the wider lenses, which only work with the APS-C crop. I can see sooner rather than later, that Samsung, along with Pentax, WILL produce a FF camera, which will at least match the Sony 24MP Camera.
Whether it will be the fabled K2D/Samsung GX-200, is another issue (I doubt, as this will be an APS-C 6+fps 21+AF points model).

I would probably say that the FF is on its way, in both Samsung and Pentax guises, but will be after the top range APS-C range is out. The Lenses need to be in place first.
04-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
If Samsung will go FF, they will need Pentax as Partner. [...] I would probably say that the FF is on its way, in both Samsung and Pentax guises
This is one scenario which was the standard story before this leaked.

Another scenario is that Samsung forked a side track from the joint development with Pentax. This is what the leaked story claims (team for own SLR). And no doubt Samsung can do this. Look at their NV20. And the 14.6 MP sensor. They may still partner with Pentax. Just not for FF.
04-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I cannot see that Samsung will go it alone. They are probably paying a certain amount to Pentax for use of the K mount, even if it is quite small. I would be VERY surprised if Samsung would develop a separate mount solely for them. Anyway, It was due to the linkup with Pentax that Samsung have got into the DSLR market in the first place. I cannot see that Samsung would go it alone with FF, and anyway, according to various sources, Hoya are going to invest in Pentax DSLR's to make them a major force again (Sony will have to watch out!), with this information, it would be commercal suicide for Samsung to break from Pentax.
04-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I cannot see that Samsung will go it alone. They are probably paying a certain amount to Pentax for use of the K mount, even if it is quite small. I would be VERY surprised if Samsung would develop a separate mount solely for them. Anyway, It was due to the linkup with Pentax that Samsung have got into the DSLR market in the first place. I cannot see that Samsung would go it alone with FF, and anyway, according to various sources, Hoya are going to invest in Pentax DSLR's to make them a major force again (Sony will have to watch out!), with this information, it would be commercal suicide for Samsung to break from Pentax.
I could see a samsung developed ff that pentax rebadge.
04-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would be VERY surprised if Samsung would develop a separate mount solely for them.
Nobody said so.

The folklore now is that Samsung makes their own FF body with K mount.

And my speculation is that Samsung is in a rush for it (poor fps, AF etc.) which Pentax refuses to bed upon right now. I foresee a GX2D-mkII with everything like GX2D (rebadged Pentax K2D) except for sensor, matte, mirror, pentaprisma sizes and viewfinder ocular.
04-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #30

Regarding lenses, wasn't it possible to adapt digital APSC lenses on some canon (I think) FF bodies with an adaptor ? I seem to recall this is possible with one of the makers. No idea what impact there is on light/optical quality though.
Presumably such a stunt could be pulled which would considerably augment the number of available glass.