Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rumor about pro model be Samsung, not Pentax

I am a bit reluctant to share this bit of information with you because I cannot be sure about its origin. But this section is called "rumors", right?

So, here we go: A gentleman from my German forum claims to know from a trustworthy source he isn't going to disclose the following:

The professional camera which is upcoming will be from Samsung, not Pentax. Pentax to stay semi-pro. Likely a GX2. Likely with Samsung CMOS full-frame sensor (same technology base as GX20 sensor, i.e., 5 micron cells). Likely not high frame rate.

It turned out impossible to digg any further

04-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

that would be interesting, and I could easily samsung going more seperate ways particularly as samsung want to be be big and will want something to compete with the sony 24mp (which apparently is the same as 10mp sensor for pixel density etc) so if they just made a FF version of the 14mp sensor that could be pretty huge (30+mp?) and be impact mf market.

The flaw of course as always is lenses. the number of ff lenses available is pretty dismal and pentax aren't going to be in a hurry to make them if they dont have a ff camera.
04-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If Samsung was to bring out a pro model without cloning a Pentax, it wouldn't be FF. If they did FF, they would have to change there lens mount to something else or make there own lens. This could be interesting if they make there own FF lens and still use the Pentax mount.
04-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
Inactive Account

falconeye it's not april 1st!

04-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

And what lenses would they recomend you put on it... "Here general public, we have just come out with the greatest camera. Now as far as lenses, please see the used section at your local shop for the only FF branded lenses. OR check out these awsome oferings from makers like Sigma and Tamron."
Samsung is atempting to ramp-up production on their own for lenses but so far have been unable (I am not at liberty to say any more) The current problem is that both samsung and Pentax are too joined at the hip to get a date with only 1 girl (must have 2) and untill they do this "seperation" like they have said since the begining, it will stay a problem.
04-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #6

they cant get schneider to do sth? wt's schneider famous for anyway? in my short dslr life i havn't heard of slr schneider lenses...
04-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Get your primer on Schneider-Kreuznach products here: Optical Lenses, B+W Filters and Servo Hydraulics from Jos. Schneider Optische Werke GmbH

04-10-2008, 12:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Schneider may become the new dig for LBA then.
04-10-2008, 12:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Get real: to compete with Sony, a Samsung FF camera doesn't need a whole complete lineup of lenses. They can buy some rebadgeds lenses from Tokina or/and Tamron, to present a three f/2,8 zooms and few primes selection. The camera will be aimed at current Pentax users with old lenses and Samsung user wanting to "upgrade". It will be a huge loss of money, but still will be do no damage to the company, as the only scope is to answer, marketing-wise, to Sony's flagship.
04-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelpruner Quote
falconeye it's not april 1st!
Doesn't April 10 pass as April 1 as well, just a little 0 added?

Seriously, this is what a person at DFN classifies as "if my information is correct" and it isn't fished from the net and others in the forum take him seriously.

This is also in line with the statements made by Pentax and Samsung in a round table discussion done by a German magazine (I have reported here). Pentax dismissed FF and said APS-C be the only suitable format except for some niches. Samsung said both APS-C and FF be the formats known from analog times and actually made no distinction between the two...

Personally, I can imagine Samsung putting a FF sensor into the K20D just to showcase their abilities and compete against Sony on the sensor market. I don't think they change the mount as this would destroy the trust from prospective buyers. But the K-mount market has enough FF lenses and Schneider-Kreuznach can easily build a 25-100 kit zoom for them.

In this speculative scenario of a premature FF Samsung, fps would still be slow and SR may be removed to ease up things. But now, its not rumors, its mere speculation.
04-10-2008, 01:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
While we are at it...

They offer a great little optical calculator for free. It is based on 1st year physics (high school in some countries). They based it on DIN 1335 which is a norm how to name all things.

It is for people having heard about a "optical nodal plane" and not for those who have trouble to understand why the crop factor affects the FoV rather than the focal length.

Once you installed the program, you will find some great documents explaining optics (German version only), and the meaning of sharpness in the digital world (in both, the English and German versions). Having both versions is great for translation as both contain a disctionary of optical terms in the repsective language!

The GUI is some 10 years old but installation is just unzip to a directory and run.

Here you go:

English version: "Gaussoptik" download (Engl. version), Jos. Schneider Optische Werke GmbH
German version: Gaußoptik Download, Jos. Schneider Optische Werke GmbH

Enjoy
04-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #12
Not Registered

Who tells that samsung will not announce a FF camera and a hyperfrentzy-Stravaganza release of lenses from Schneider just to set the things clear and show they are not bulls**ting with laundrys or sisters of 6 45 years old mothers with 38 moles in the bottom? They have been in bussiness with Schneider for some time and in that time-span they might have come out with a few designs ready to go.
04-10-2008, 07:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Or Pentax selling the prints and fixtures for the FA line of lens to Schneider for a tidy profit along with a small royalty would speed things up. That, along with buying OEM lenses from several sources would give them a complete line of lenses in short order. God I love crazy speculation like this!! My old A, M, and screw mount lenses would jump in value overnight! If it's under $2,000 and If my old lens work well on it I'm in! I could care less what features it has or doesn't have since 95% of my shooting is in manual mode. Anywhere between 14 and 30 MPs is fine.

Now where is the speculation on them bringing out an Oly E 420 size body?
04-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Not much new in this thread that hasn’t already been discussed :

Re: Pentax stopping 645 digital development: News Discussion Forum: Digital Photography Review

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/22254-any-rumours-next...tml#post203272

Pentax have been brewing on a high-end DSLR model for some time. It is expected to be announced at Photokina in Cologne this fall, along with a Samsung sister model. No indication that it should be FF.
Samsung will go FF at some point, but I don’t think yet. The profit is made on lenses, and there simply isn’t the line-up available. So far Samsungs lenses have been rebadged Pentax ones.
04-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, it's certainly possible Samsung will go off on their own with a FF body. However, I suspect the more likely scenario is that we are just dealing with semantics. What may be "pro" to one is "semi-pro" to another. Both could be talking about the same clone of the other, just marketing it differently.

Mike.