Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suppose we'd need to understand the definition of "new camera." I know nothing, but here's my bets:
  • 2 new cameras is a smoke screen as to numbers
  • Something provocative will be shown at CP+
  • 2014 will be the year of lenses and system extensions
    • Firmware updates will reveal hidden capabilities
  • Much work will be invisible to us. Capital investment, market construction activities, partnership arrangements with co-developers - things we don't see and won't know about until some new product is revealed, if then.
Everyone will be frustrated and proclaim PentaxIsDoomed throughout the year.

01-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh GR got a nod as one piece of "The gear that got us through CES" by Gizmodo's staff:

The Gear That Got Us Through CES
01-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I suppose we'd need to understand the definition of "new camera." I know nothing, but here's my bets:
  • 2 new cameras is a smoke screen as to numbers
  • Something provocative will be shown at CP+
  • 2014 will be the year of lenses and system extensions
    • Firmware updates will reveal hidden capabilities
  • Much work will be invisible to us. Capital investment, market construction activities, partnership arrangements with co-developers - things we don't see and won't know about until some new product is revealed, if then.
Everyone will be frustrated and proclaim PentaxIsDoomed throughout the year.
They've already hinted at maybe extending the GR range with new focal lengths, etc. Plus there are the WG and MX-1 compacts which seems a sector which gets refreshed fairly often. Also the Theta project to look after. And they've launched in India, potentially a good market for K50/K500 level cameras at the least. They probably have quite a lot going on before one even gets to DSLR or 645.
01-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
A person from my local camera shop traveled to CES and met up with a (his?) Ricoh representative. Both of them have sworn to keep their chat secret but my LCS man was seemingly allowed to say that Ricoh/Pentax will be releasing two new cameras in 2014. The first one will come in August and the second one in September. I was told "it's gonna be a big one"! Has anyone heard anything about this? I imagine one of these could be an updated 645D as reported around the Internet already. My guess for the second one would be a mirrorless camera with a largish sensor. That's just my own personal guess.
If so, it's the same with 2013, when we saw the Theta in September, and the K-3 in October, two cameras in a consecutive month. So, I guess one is a Ricoh product such as the GR or GXR relacement, and another is a Pentax camera like the 645D successor. I don't think they'll get FF out this year given their recent remarks.
It's OK for me, though. I want more lenses. It doesn't matter whether it's new or updated. More lenses, please.

01-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
And they've launched in India, potentially a good market for K50/K500 level cameras at the least.
And probably a good market for affordable WR lenses...
01-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #51
Pentaxian

I hope they bring those lenses on the roadmap together with the TC on their tables within this year.

And no more playing dodge ball for those who are waiting for their digital FFs
01-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #52
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
The product manager showed me image comparison of the Ricoh GR and the Canon 70D with a 28mm lens and the Ricoh outperformed it (nice little lens). ..
Which lens did they use to test Canon? EF 20/2.8? Or Zeiss Distagon 18mm for Canon mount?
I wonder why didn't they use Pentax DSLR? Ah yes, there is no 28mm equivalent prime lens for it.
Or maybe use it with DA21, to show how GR kicks some Pentax bottom.

01-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #53

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
So here I go throwing lit kerosene into the middle of the street...

A person from my local camera shop traveled to CES and met up with a (his?) Ricoh representative. Both of them have sworn to keep their chat secret but my LCS man was seemingly allowed to say that Ricoh/Pentax will be releasing two new cameras in 2014. The first one will come in August and the second one in September. I was told "it's gonna be a big one"! Has anyone heard anything about this? I imagine one of these could be an updated 645D as reported around the Internet already. My guess for the second one would be a mirrorless camera with a largish sensor. That's just my own personal guess.

Aug and Sept are a long time from now so lots and lots can change.
Well if you like reading tea-leaves and examining goose-entrails for omens then this statement by Nikon guru Thom Hogan a few days ago might interest you: "The exclusivities on the 36mp sensor expire in late 2014, too. " It is from this blog post: Trends Fore and Aft , where he also says that he expects Pentax (and Olympus!) to have full frame bodies by early next year at the latest. His talk about FF for Pentax and Olympus is undoubtedly pure speculation, but the snippet about the 36mp sensor agreement would be fairly solid knowledge for someone with Nikon contacts as good as his.
01-12-2014, 01:26 AM   #54
Pentaxian

If the agreement is not only in his imagination.
Fujifilm and Olympus can't launch "full frame" small format cameras without new mounts; I doubt it will happen.

And about his "lenses are hot"... everything was growing and looking well in 2012 Or, better said, expected to grow - because I believe in 2012 we had overproduction, in a ridiculous amount.
01-12-2014, 02:43 AM   #55
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
Well if you like reading tea-leaves and examining goose-entrails for omens then this statement by Nikon guru Thom Hogan a few days ago might interest you: "The exclusivities on the 36mp sensor expire in late 2014, too. " It is from this blog post: Trends Fore and Aft , where he also says that he expects Pentax (and Olympus!) to have full frame bodies by early next year at the latest. His talk about FF for Pentax and Olympus is undoubtedly pure speculation, but the snippet about the 36mp sensor agreement would be fairly solid knowledge for someone with Nikon contacts as good as his.
Mr Thom Hogan's analysis and predictions about this industry are as accurate and helpful as a clock hit by a lighting; once in a dozen times it points to a fact that makes us shout an exclamation that rhymes with "He got it, clucking bell".
But it was not this time, no.
01-12-2014, 02:50 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
Well if you like reading tea-leaves and examining goose-entrails for omens then this statement by Nikon guru Thom Hogan a few days ago might interest you: "The exclusivities on the 36mp sensor expire in late 2014, too. " (...) the snippet about the 36mp sensor agreement would be fairly solid knowledge for someone with Nikon contacts as good as his.
...except that Sony Alpha 7R with said 36 Mpixel sensor was launched in 2013...
01-12-2014, 03:41 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
...except that Sony Alpha 7R with said 36 Mpixel sensor was launched in 2013...
Exclusivity deals Sony sensor/Nikon has always been:

1/ headstart of a couple months for Nikon
2/ Sony gets the right to use
3/ Everybody else.

Seems right on clock to me.
01-12-2014, 05:02 AM   #58
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
... I don't think they'll get FF out this year given their recent remarks..
By their remark we shall never get it, because the situation will never get really so much better. The remark is crazy. On the other hand, I just got the specs of the new FF lens just made. Cannot tell details but I can tell a fortune cookie wisdom, "Never trust a salesman who puts up an act during the exhibition".
01-12-2014, 05:40 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Other than saying, "Be patient. Good things are coming" for virtually all of 2013 no one at Ricoh ever gave anything away. The NDA's must threaten first-born sons.
01-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The NDA's must threaten first-born sons.
And probably unto the third and fourth generation, as well!