Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2014, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #106
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
One of the reasons Nikon and Canon are flooding the market is to create such a huge pile of stock in b&m stores which will must get rid of through insane price reductions and constant incentives. With that they make the claim they are the only circus in town.
It also keeps the dealers committed. An old saying in retail: an overstocked dealer is a loyal dealer. Some manufacturers have always been noted for offering 'deals' to retailers just to get them all stocked up and their inventory dollars committed. This usually happens before trade shows where a potential competitor might get an order. If you have no open inventory dollars you cannot bring in another line. Defensive overstocking is a good maneuver when a smaller competitor has an interesting product that you have no answer for.

01-14-2014, 01:26 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
It also keeps the dealers committed. An old saying in retail: an overstocked dealer is a loyal dealer. Some manufacturers have always been noted for offering 'deals' to retailers just to get them all stocked up and their inventory dollars committed. This usually happens before trade shows where a potential competitor might get an order. If you have no open inventory dollars you cannot bring in another line. Defensive overstocking is a good maneuver when a smaller competitor has an interesting product that you have no answer for.
And that's no anti-competitive recognized practice ?
LOL
01-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #108
Pentaxian

Pentax 645D II with a 50 Mpix CMOS sensor from Sony announced at CP+ or later?

Indeed, Hasselblad just announced their H5D-50c which will be the first medium format camera to include a CMOS sensor instead of a CCD sensor:

Hasselblad to launch CMOS sensor-based medium format camera

Could it be that Ricoh will use the same sensor for the successor to Pentax 645D?

Hasselblad reveals first medium format CMOS sensor, opening the door for other photography brands? - Pocket-lint
01-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That would be great news, a cmos sensor in the 645Dii.

01-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Pentax 645D II with a 50 Mpix CMOS sensor from Sony announced at CP+ or later?

Indeed, Hasselblad just announced their H5D-50c which will be the first medium format camera to include a CMOS sensor instead of a CCD sensor:

Hasselblad to launch CMOS sensor-based medium format camera

Could it be that Ricoh will use the same sensor for the successor to Pentax 645D?

Hasselblad reveals first medium format CMOS sensor, opening the door for other photography brands? - Pocket-lint
Awesome. Haven't been able to find the dimensions of the sensor though?
01-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #111
wlq

The main reason for making APS-C before is stepper needs exposure twice to cover the size of full frame. It is not the case anymore. The FF sensor can be made with single exposure of stepper now. Pentax puts too much efforts to the APS-C DA lenses line-up.
01-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
So you do what Pentax is doing under Ricoh. Make very good products, take existing models and rework them for manufacturing efficiency, match the prices of the big guys and not lose money. And find niches where there is a market and service them well.

I like what Ricoh is doing. I couldn't afford to buy all the neat stuff they released last year, and I doubt if I could this coming year. But they did make something specifically for me, and I bought it. They will do the same this year I'm sure.
You understand what is going on. It takes some time to change perception - but eventually it does change.

Personnel, Philiosophy, Process and Products must be in alignment, and stay in alignment over a full market cycle, before they begin to have an effect on Performance and Perception.
01-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Awesome. Haven't been able to find the dimensions of the sensor though?
This is the press release:

Hasselblad Press Lounge

"Further information (...) will be announced in March."

01-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Hasselblad Press Lounge

Hopefully it's gotten bigger!
01-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Hopefully it's gotten bigger!
The current H5D-50 has a 36.7x49.1mm sensor. I take it that the sensor of H5D-50c won't be smaller.

(Pentax 645D's sensor: 32.9x43.8mm)
01-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #116
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlq Quote
The main reason for making APS-C before is stepper needs exposure twice to cover the size of full frame. It is not the case anymore. The FF sensor can be made with single exposure of stepper now. Pentax puts too much efforts to the APS-C DA lenses line-up.
Also, the FF lens can be made with a same size piece of glass now, and have same optical performance and characteristics as the APS-C lens. Same overall size and same cost of production too.
01-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter

That's all well and good. But what of the remaining capital utility of the steppers and tables still optimized for APSc? Are sensor manufacturers supposed to just throw them away? How do they recover the remaining capital investment in them? Over how many units was it originally to be amortized? What would be the charge to current earnings if they were early-retired?

(The earthquake played a part in the economic utility of converting to FF).
01-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #118
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Hasselblad Press Lounge

For Millionaires Only....
01-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #119
Pentaxian

That would cut a part of the cost difference; but APS-C will remain significantly cheaper. And the so-called "full frame" is still single digits (8.7% of the DSLR market in Japan according to bcnranking); I doubt Pentax is worried about not giving up on the mainstream to go niche.

It will be thanks to APS-C that (if?) Pentax will be able to launch a "full frame" line.

Last edited by Kunzite; 01-21-2014 at 03:35 PM.
01-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #120
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Preview of Ricoh CP+ Stand

I just received an email from Ricoh Japan pointing me to this web page, which shows a mock-up of the stand at CP+. Looks like it is going to be more of an open space than last. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go this year.

Google Translate