Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Niiiice! I like.

01-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So here I go throwing lit kerosene into the middle of the street...

A person from my local camera shop traveled to CES and met up with a (his?) Ricoh representative. Both of them have sworn to keep their chat secret but my LCS man was seemingly allowed to say that Ricoh/Pentax will be releasing two new cameras in 2014. The first one will come in August and the second one in September. I was told "it's gonna be a big one"! Has anyone heard anything about this? I imagine one of these could be an updated 645D as reported around the Internet already. My guess for the second one would be a mirrorless camera with a largish sensor. That's just my own personal guess.

Aug and Sept are a long time from now so lots and lots can change.
01-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #33
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote

A person from my local camera shop traveled to CES and met up with a (his?) Ricoh representative. Both of them have sworn to keep their chat secret but my LCS man was seemingly allowed to say that Ricoh/Pentax will be releasing two new cameras in 2014. The first one will come in August and the second one in September.....

If they intend to release only two cameras in the whole of 2014, and both during the Fotokina, then Ricoh Imaging has nothing to do in camera business. They can close their garage hobby for good and leave customers alone to look for manufacturers that have not heavily invested in procrastination.
01-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Why so? The K3 is going to be a very good buy and very capable for a while. A full frame and 645 will be major releases. A full frame will probably be accompanied by some lenses, as well as the usual once a month announcement of something as we saw this last year. If they manage to release something that matches the K3 in excellence in both these segments, I fail to see how that could be construed as a failure.

01-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #35
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Why so? The K3 is going to be a very good buy and very capable for a while. A full frame and 645 will be major releases. A full frame will probably be accompanied by some lenses, as well as the usual once a month announcement of something as we saw this last year. If they manage to release something that matches the K3 in excellence in both these segments, I fail to see how that could be construed as a failure.
Even in 2013 they have issued plenty of cameras. The GR, then compact zoom from Ricoh, MX-1, Q7, K500, K50 and K-3. I sincerely doubt than in the 2014 they will release just 2 cameras. Ricoh Imaging reps pretending to be smart and telling people nonsense should better shut up if they don't want to ruin (still shaky) image of the company.

Last edited by Uluru; 01-11-2014 at 12:32 AM.
01-11-2014, 12:39 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Even in 2013 they have issued plenty of cameras. The GR, then compact zoom from Ricoh, MX-1, Q7, K500, K50 and K-3. I sincerely doubt than in the 2014 they will release just 2 cameras. Ricoh Imaging reps pretending to be smart and telling people nonsense should better shut up if they don't want to ruin (still shaky) image of the company.
maybe by "two cameras" it was implied "two DSLR cameras"....
01-11-2014, 02:18 AM   #37
Veteran Member

If they intend to release only two cameras in the whole of 2014, and both during the Fotokina, then Ricoh Imaging has nothing to do in camera business. They can close their garage hobby for good and leave customers alone to look for manufacturers that have not heavily invested in procrastination.
Agreed that the K-3 will be relevant for a while - at least through the end of 2015. I would be perfectly happy with 2 cameras. What more are needed right now? Entry level, mid-level (K-50), and K-3. You can still find K-5 II/s laying around, which are phenomenal cameras. So 3 (4 including recently discontinued) APS-C DSLR's that are all perfectly capable.645D II, and possibly the FF.

Two cameras. 5+ brand new lens designs is what I hope for

-Heie

01-11-2014, 02:25 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Having issued 5 cameras in 2013, I really don't see a problem with Ricoh choosing not to update them just yet and perhaps concentrating their R&D and marketing efforts on a full-frame and an MF, with a few appropriate lenses (if that's what they are in fact doing). Although I, personally, do not need a new camera this year, I await developments with interest.
01-11-2014, 05:00 AM   #39
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
. I would be perfectly happy with 2 cameras. What more are needed right now? Entry level, mid-level (K-50), and K-3. You can still find K-5 II/s laying around, which are phenomenal cameras. So 3 (4 including recently discontinued) APS-C DSLR's that are all perfectly capable.645D II, and possibly the FF.

Two cameras. 5+ brand new lens designs is what I hope for

-Heie
Discontinued means discontinued and no longer relevant.
I know that Ricoh Imaging person is just talking nonsense, as salespeople usually do.
There will be *more* than two cameras for the K-mount and 645 mount coming out this year.
01-11-2014, 06:07 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Why so too ?
Imagine sales of K-500 and K-50 are sufficient, those two shouldn't be replaced before spring 2015.
+ K-3 not replaced until end 2015.

I take it for good if those two cameras are 645DII and K-1 FF.
Actually nothing else had previously leaked / was announced.
01-11-2014, 06:56 AM - 3 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CES

Hi All

I was at CES this week (for business) but on thelast day i had time to look around and went to the camera area....

Ricoh-Pentax

Nice colorful wall display of the Q and K500 but I would have like to see a more serious display of the serious K3 and 645D (see below on Canon). Kerrick James was there and was pretty interactive with people, acting as a sales rep. I also met with product manager who was very knowledgeable and also very good with customers. I learned some tricks about using the K3/5.

The Q7 seemed to get a lot of attention as did the 645 D (the extremes) but most consumers thought the 645 was huge (what would you expect).
The product manager showed me image comparison of the Ricoh GR and the Canon 70D with a 28mm lens and the Ricoh outperformed it (nice little lens). I also played with the Q7 and the MX and to be honest, while the MX is very nice, The Q7 is smaller, more versatile and yet maintains the same sensor.
I of course asked about FF and based on the response (there are plans but the market has to be better). I am not holding my breath. Too Bad.

I got to play with the 20-40 LTD. Nice construction and size but to be honest, I think the Sigma 18-35 ( i also got to play with that at the Sigma booth) would be the way I go given the faster aperture and better range.

Canon

Had a very impressive booth with a grandstand of cameras on tripods with long lenses for users to use. I was very impressed. In addition, they spent considerable amount of booth space showing their lens technology and design. I think Pentax, who prides itself on lens esp. Limited, could do a better job here. For example, The Limited series with HD coating should be actively promoted. (why better? explain the coatings and resistance to flare. Show the Bokeh advantage). But the cameras are really big...

Sigma

I played with the 18 - 35f1,8 Nice lens. They have a display of cameras with a rep who offers lenses to put on Nikon, Canon and Sigma cameras..> the Pentax camera was not on display and when I ask to see the 18-35 on a pentax 1) They were not even aware that the 18-35 is being produced for kmount.. but they then corrected me stating that availability is out a few months. 2) they then pulled out the k30 from under the counter and had dig around for the 35 f14 art lens in K mount.. Bottom line. Nice lenses but they really did not seem to promote the kmount.

--
01-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote

A person from my local camera shop traveled to CES and met up with a (his?) Ricoh representative. Both of them have sworn to keep their chat secret but my LCS man was seemingly allowed to say that Ricoh/Pentax will be releasing two new cameras in 2014. The first one will come in August and the second one in September. I was told "it's gonna be a big one"! Has anyone heard anything about this? I imagine one of these could be an updated 645D as reported around the Internet already. My guess for the second one would be a mirrorless camera with a largish sensor. That's just my own personal guess.

Aug and Sept are a long time from now so lots and lots can change.
August? September? Drat... I've been sitting on upgrading my 10 year old camera waiting to see if they will put out a camera with everything on my wish list. I was hoping for something new or at least concrete word of whats next by this spring. What to do what to do.... wait or go ahead and just get the K50... Well, I've waited this long. Guess a few more months won't change anything since I haven't had the time to go out and even use my old camera lately.
01-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
I of course asked about FF and based on the response (there are plans but the market has to be better). I am not holding my breath. Too Bad.
If that is the requirement, given the perceived continued threat of deflation in the west, it will be at least this coming fall before the market is "better."

(IOW, the big surprise might be higher inflation and higher nominal economic growth - including the inflation - than most pundits expect).
01-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If there are to be two "new" cameras, that doesn't rule out further refreshes of existing lines. An obvious example could be the K-5IIs updated with the AA emulation technology from the K-3.
The MX-1 could gain an EVF, as could the Q7 and the GR, which could also gain the AA emulation.
01-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If that is the requirement, given the perceived continued threat of deflation in the west, it will be at least this coming fall before the market is "better."

(IOW, the big surprise might be higher inflation and higher nominal economic growth - including the inflation - than most pundits expect).
Better, where exactly ?