Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Didn't the FA 50mm Macro have the third highest sharpness score DXO has ever issued? Behind only a couple of Zeiss lenses?

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
You are right that Pentax does have some really sharp leneses (did not want to imply that they don't, though as to dxo, it is the overall score that is the same; the DA55 and all the Pentax primes they tested lag behind the Sigma on sharpness), but it is about perception--they would do well (in my opinion) to make a new lens whose sharpness (like the Sigma 18-35mm Art) really gets people to stand up and take notice.

01-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Considering the size of the glass involved, along with the space required for the AF mechanism that would be one large lens as well! Given the geometry of the K mount, I'm not sure it would even be possible with Pentax's existing 1.2 lens formula - but hey, everyone is clamoring for new Ricoh lens designs rather than just HD refreshes, aren't they?
Would it be if it was a screw driven lens? I just wonder. Seems like it wouldn't be that much bigger than the DA *55.
01-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #48

First of all, thank you Pentaxians for such a measured and sensible discussion of the new Sigma lens. I first read about it on dp review and boy what a difference in tone and content!

Anyway, my take on this lens is more on the restrained side. I'm sure it is a very good lens but I am dubious about the complexity of the optical design (13/8) and the size, weight and price this entails. Leica's Summicron - which many consider to be THE standard 50mm lens - makes do with a simple 6 element / 4 group double gauss design. The Summilux, no slouch either and closer to the Sigma in terms of max aperture, gets by with 8 elements.
01-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #49
Forum Member

Concerned with the lack of K Mount, I wrote to Sigma USA if they plan on releasing more Art lenses for Pentax. They wrote back within a couple of hours:

" Yes, eventually all Sigma lenses will be part of the Global Vision line of lenses, it will take some time though."

So good news, then. I probably won't get the Sigma 50mm as I am happy with my DA*55mm but I will probably go for the 35mm.

01-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by auricle Quote
Concerned with the lack of K Mount, I wrote to Sigma USA if they plan on releasing more Art lenses for Pentax. They wrote back within a couple of hours:

" Yes, eventually all Sigma lenses will be part of the Global Vision line of lenses, it will take some time though."

So good news, then. I probably won't get the Sigma 50mm as I am happy with my DA*55mm but I will probably go for the 35mm.
That`s good to know ... maybe by then we have an FF body to attach it to
01-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #51
Pentaxian

I may look at this in F mount as I don't need another K mount 50. However...the item I do want to know is if that Sigma 135mm f1.8 that was rumored a while back is going to become reality.
01-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #52
Pentaxian

There is a lot of glass in the rear element, which means that there is little room for the cell holding the element, the barrel and screw linkage to either side - I'm not sure if you could slip everything in there in such a way that leaves room for the glass to move in an out while still maintain a robust focusing mechanism without widening the barrel to the point where the focus ring interferes with the prism housing.

I unfortunately don't have my 1.2 anymore to take a close look, but just as a rule of thumb, a screw drive would take less space than a separate focusing motor, but the plastic modern-style helical that might be needed to effectively move such a large chunk of glass tend to take up more space than a traditional manual focus brass helical (which would probably have too much friction to be useful for either type of AF) , so it might not be enough to make up for the lack of space. Leaving off an aperture ring would help, but I imagine when the Pentax FF finally comes, there are those who would be unhappy without one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Would it be if it was a screw driven lens? I just wonder. Seems like it wouldn't be that much bigger than the DA *55.
01-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I'm not sure how much bigger or heavier this is than the DA55. Nevertheless I use my FA50 indoors only so I can definitely see a use for a great-bokeh (if it has it) heavy, big lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Looks about twice as big to me (not counting the DA 55's hood).
(...)
From the report made by Digital Camera Watch on the Sigma booth at CES:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140108_629952.html

1/ A picture giving a concrete idea of the Sigma Art 50mm F/1.4 DG HSM's size

2/ Even more eloquent, a size comparison between Sigma Art 50mm F/1.4 DG HSM (left) and Sigma Contemporary 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM (right).

01-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
There is a lot of glass in the rear element, which means that there is little room for the cell holding the element, the barrel and screw linkage to either side - I'm not sure if you could slip everything in there in such a way that leaves room for the glass to move in an out while still maintain a robust focusing mechanism without widening the barrel to the point where the focus ring interferes with the prism housing.

(...).
From the same report by Digital Camera Watch, a close-up view of the lens's rear:

01-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #55
Pentaxian

although I'm not sure this answers the question you had about whether there will be more lenses released for Pentax K-mount. I read this response as saying that all older Sigma lenses will eventually be redesigned and released under the Global Vision "art, sport, and contemporary" lines.
01-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Looks like 50 is going to be even larger (and heavier) than 35!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by Apapukas; 01-08-2014 at 12:15 PM.
01-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That hood looks pretty good. Longer than the older one.
01-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #58
Pentaxian

holy bananas that's a huge lens!
01-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #59
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Sigma has announced another prime in the Art series, a 50mm f1.4 lens (covering FF). Standard Prime Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com[/url]

But no version for Pentax. Even in the future. Is there any sense of discussing this lens?
01-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #60
ogl
Pentaxian

They said the same about new 30/1.4. But still no new Sigma 30/1.4 for Pentax.
It's standard answer. I think.