Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2014, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
But no version for Pentax. Even in the future. Is there any sense of discussing this lens?
Is there any point discussing anything, really!?
I guess the hope is that it might get released in the future...

01-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Polymers expand/contract 5-10x more than metals. They're less stable.

As a fun aside, look at the gaps in the body panels of a Saturn car made before ~2002, if any are still on the road. You could stick your fingers in some of them.

Actually I drive a 2001 Saturn and it is not that bad no bad gaps that I can find
01-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
The lens isn't labeled as WR but it probably will have the same build quality and features as the 35mm.

That means it will be IF and have a very good, tight build. So, I believe it will be able to take a little rain, dust, cold with no problem.

I don't understand people complaining about plastic. Glock pistols, G-36 rifles are made mostly of plastic because of weight and durability compared to metal.
I don't use weapons of violence as a benchmark for build quality.
01-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
For technical reasons, or just moral reasons?

01-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
My point was to show the capabilities of plastic as a very advanced material that can be used in many different areas with a great success.
01-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
My point was to show the capabilities of plastic as a very advanced material that can be used in many different areas with a great success.
it could also be argued that with the glock if it was dropped in cold weather and the plastic was cracked/compromised there could be an issue with it. This is why my friend whos in a local gun club does not allow glocks. I'm not knowledgeable about firearms so I'm not sure the validity of the claim.
01-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #67
Forum Member

They said the same about new 30/1.4. But still no new Sigma 30/1.4 for Pentax.
It's standard answer. I think.
How long ago did they give that answer?
01-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
it could also be argued that with the glock if it was dropped in cold weather and the plastic was cracked/compromised there could be an issue with it. This is why my friend whos in a local gun club does not allow glocks. I'm not knowledgeable about firearms so I'm not sure the validity of the claim.
I'm no gun expert either, but based on this vid, the plastic glock is made of, take the cold no problem.

01-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #69
Marketplace Reseller

I'm not a gun guy myself either, but I was under the impression that even in plastic pistols, it was only the grip/housing that were polymer, and that the barrel and firing mechanism (the dangerous if compromised parts) remained metal.

Turning this back around to lenses, my issues in the past with Sigmas have had less to do with plastic barrels than they have with plastic mechanics. While granted most modern lenses are using plastic in the helicals and zooms these days, it seems absurd to use it in focus gearing, etc. Witness the problems that Sony shooters have had with Sigma lenses when newer Alpha models started using a more powerful focusing motor and shearing off the plastic gears in Sigma screw-drive lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote

Last edited by dcshooter; 01-08-2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo
01-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #70
Site Supporter

But no version for Pentax. Even in the future. Is there any sense of discussing this lens?
Sigma replied that eventually there would be a Pentax lens (how it was interpreted here).
01-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #71
Pentaxian

I think the main reason Pentax isn't making a 50mm f1.2 is AF. At f1.2 the AF would be unreliable, not to mention DoF would be so thin that even a slight shift between the focus confirm and shutter action could cause things to go OoF. This would be bad news for Pentax, because a lot of users would once again blame the AF system (often pointed out as Pentax' weak point) or the lens being unsharp, rather than learn how to use the two. Well, this, and the fact that f1.2 is a niche lens and wouldn't sell as many units as a trusty DA 50mm f1.8.

And regarding some of the comments, of course there are lenses larger than this new Sigma. But how many of them are 50mm f1.4? (not counting medium format lenses ) But I do agree that Sigma has been getting very good over the past few years. In the past, it was often dismissed, but now it rivals "the big boys." And I guess it has to make an overengineered lens to compete against the "regular" 50mm lenses that camera brands are offering
01-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #72
Pentaxian

I'm fine with plastic barrels and other external construction for weight savings, and modern polys are pretty decent. However, plastic internals does scare me as I would worry about premature wear or the general longevity of the lens. All that being said, I much prefer a full metal construction as I have dropped lenses in the past and I do prefer them not to crack or brake. I've only dropped my M200f4 in cold weather and had no concern, but I fear if I dropped my DA*50-135 what would happen.
01-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
And regarding some of the comments, of course there are lenses larger than this new Sigma. But how many of them are 50mm f1.4? (not counting medium format lenses ) But I do agree that Sigma has been getting very good over the past few years. In the past, it was often dismissed, but now it rivals "the big boys." And I guess it has to make an overengineered lens to compete against the "regular" 50mm lenses that camera brands are offering
Why does it need to be this big though? It appears to be similar in size to Nikons 85mm f1.4 G
01-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #74
Site Supporter

Looks bigger to me! Dunno. I think they're trying to over-correct... but I'm guessing it will be a top-notch lens. We'll see.
01-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Based on the pictures, Sigma seems to be taking the nickname Bigma to heart more generally....