Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Absolutely.

Some lenses, e.g. the FA 43/1.9, inspire me to use them and get the best out of them. So I completely agree with your statement.

However, I don't agree that a Sigma 35mm cannot be such a lens. Maybe your feelings towards this lens are influenced by the (commercial) context you used it for.

The Rokinon (Samyang) 85/1.4, for instance, is a pretty big lens, however it has excellent image quality and nice manual focusing so it also is a lens that inspires me to use it, even though it is not a small, limited lens.
I believe you are right about he 35mm. As I said, it is absolutely gorgeous optically (and I am very happy user), it is just that after a couple hours of active shooting with it (k5 +grip), I usually start to feel a little tired and just want get over with

01-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So what do you think will be the use for this new huge Sigma 50mm? Mostly for studio photography, due to its weight? I mean, its not for street or travel or outdoor.. At such a size, I would normally expect it to be faster than f1.4.The FA 50mm f1.4 is miniscule compared to the new Sigma, not to mention the lightweight DA 50mm f1.8.
Then again, I guess if you are using a massive Canikon FF, you need a large lens so it doesn't look weird
01-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #33
Veteran Member

When it comes to joy of using a specific lens, some people (like myself) like the weight of a bigger lens. Feels more comfortable. Smaller stuff sometimes feels too fragile in my hands and I'm mostly stressed about breaking the darn things . Plus, I noticed (for me) that a larger lens helps me with stability when taking a shot.
I can go around with my 70-200mm f2.8 all day long without complaining.

I've always liked Sigma and this lens looks very good and seems to perform.
Interested in it and I would most probably buy one... if it would came in K mount.

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-08-2014 at 07:57 AM.
01-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
So what do you think will be the use for this new huge Sigma 50mm? Mostly for studio photography, due to its weight? I mean, its not for street or travel or outdoor.. At such a size, I would normally expect it to be faster than f1.4.The FA 50mm f1.4 is miniscule compared to the new Sigma, not to mention the lightweight DA 50mm f1.8.
Then again, I guess if you are using a massive Canikon FF, you need a large lens so it doesn't look weird
I'm not sure how much bigger or heavier this is than the DA55. Nevertheless I use my FA50 indoors only so I can definitely see a use for a great-bokeh (if it has it) heavy, big lens.

01-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #35
Veteran Member

My tamron 70-200 is one of my favorite lenses to use and it weighs so much that I had to buy a special strap and figure out new ways to hold and support it.

I'm becoming a bit of a Sigma fan lately. I got their 10-20mm F/3.5 and 28mm F/1.8 lenses around thanksgiving and they are both pretty awesome. I was already considering their 50mm lens so this one really has my interest. Here's hoping they release it for K mount.

At this rate, in a few years, I'm going to have a full kit of Sigma lenses.
01-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Dunno.
Happy enough with my FA50/1.4 (actually better wide open than my Voigtlander 58/1.4) to imagine having a 2 to 3 times heavier/bigger lens...
01-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Dunno.
Happy enough with my FA50/1.4 (actually better wide open than my Voigtlander 58/1.4) to imagine having a 2 to 3 times heavier/bigger lens...
The outlining around point-of-light bokeh is quite harsh. Probably doesn't matter at all to most people.

01-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I'm not sure how much bigger or heavier this is than the DA55. Nevertheless I use my FA50 indoors only so I can definitely see a use for a great-bokeh (if it has it) heavy, big lens.
Looks about twice as big to me (not counting the DA 55's hood). I think the DA 55 is adequate, although certainly it would be a beautiful thing if Pentax would release a 50 f1.2 with auto focus.
01-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
An interesting discussion on the nature of the compromises of lens design. If a lens is too heavy for me to lug around (or big enough that I feel awkward and out of place), I simply won't use it, and so won't be getting any pictures that way. Much as I'd love the IQ the Sigma or the Zeiss Otus would bring, I'll stick with my M50/17 and S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 for they are much more usable for my purposes. It is probably a matter of individual situation and preference. In days past, this wasn't so much of an issue as most weren't examining their slides at such magnifications as today's high-MP DSLR's create (nor was focusing as precise, and there was often more grain). Now it is, and I think there is room for both the big, superlative IQ and the small and light (at some IQ cost) philosophies. It does seem clear that Pentax's philosophy tends towards the smaller and lighter side. To me, this is fine, but I would also like to see a couple of killer sharp optics to help attract further buyers to Pentax.
01-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #40
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
An interesting discussion on the nature of the compromises of lens design. If a lens is too heavy for me to lug around (or big enough that I feel awkward and out of place), I simply won't use it, and so won't be getting any pictures that way. Much as I'd love the IQ the Sigma or the Zeiss Otus would bring, I'll stick with my M50/17 and S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 for they are much more usable for my purposes. It is probably a matter of individual situation and preference. In days past, this wasn't so much of an issue as most weren't examining their slides at such magnifications as today's high-MP DSLR's create (nor was focusing as precise, and there was often more grain). Now it is, and I think there is room for both the big, superlative IQ and the small and light (at some IQ cost) philosophies. It does seem clear that Pentax's philosophy tends towards the smaller and lighter side. To me, this is fine, but I would also like to see a couple of killer sharp optics to help attract further buyers to Pentax.
Agree.

Even though, at least one killer lens there is. If we'll believe what dxo says, Pentax 55mm scores the same as Sigma 35mm on K3.
01-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Even though, at least one killer lens there is. If we'll believe what dxo says, Pentax 55mm scores the same as Sigma 35mm on K3.
You are right that Pentax does have some really sharp leneses (did not want to imply that they don't, though as to dxo, it is the overall score that is the same; the DA55 and all the Pentax primes they tested lag behind the Sigma on sharpness), but it is about perception--they would do well (in my opinion) to make a new lens whose sharpness (like the Sigma 18-35mm Art) really gets people to stand up and take notice.
01-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Considering the size of the glass involved, along with the space required for the AF mechanism that would be one large lens as well! Given the geometry of the K mount, I'm not sure it would even be possible with Pentax's existing 1.2 lens formula - but hey, everyone is clamoring for new Ricoh lens designs rather than just HD refreshes, aren't they?
Would it be if it was a screw driven lens? I just wonder. Seems like it wouldn't be that much bigger than the DA *55.
01-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #43

First of all, thank you Pentaxians for such a measured and sensible discussion of the new Sigma lens. I first read about it on dp review and boy what a difference in tone and content!

Anyway, my take on this lens is more on the restrained side. I'm sure it is a very good lens but I am dubious about the complexity of the optical design (13/8) and the size, weight and price this entails. Leica's Summicron - which many consider to be THE standard 50mm lens - makes do with a simple 6 element / 4 group double gauss design. The Summilux, no slouch either and closer to the Sigma in terms of max aperture, gets by with 8 elements.
01-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #44
Forum Member

Concerned with the lack of K Mount, I wrote to Sigma USA if they plan on releasing more Art lenses for Pentax. They wrote back within a couple of hours:

" Yes, eventually all Sigma lenses will be part of the Global Vision line of lenses, it will take some time though."

So good news, then. I probably won't get the Sigma 50mm as I am happy with my DA*55mm but I will probably go for the 35mm.
01-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by auricle Quote
Concerned with the lack of K Mount, I wrote to Sigma USA if they plan on releasing more Art lenses for Pentax. They wrote back within a couple of hours:

" Yes, eventually all Sigma lenses will be part of the Global Vision line of lenses, it will take some time though."

So good news, then. I probably won't get the Sigma 50mm as I am happy with my DA*55mm but I will probably go for the 35mm.
That`s good to know ... maybe by then we have an FF body to attach it to