Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #106

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
Still waiting for the new 30/1.4... the fastest normal prime for APS-C they don't release it for the mount where it would have the least competition (1.5 stops faster than the fastest normal prime available)...
hear - hear - I agree the 30 f1.4 would also be a very popular lens with the pentax crowd!

01-11-2014, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wonder where all this will end, this clamouring for sharpness at all apertures across the frame. So in the last 18 months we have seen the arrival of Sigma Arts 35 & 50, Zeiss Otus 55, all massive, all heavy, all basically oversized for 35mm. Forgot to mention the Nikon 58 but that is a lens that will get slated by every idiot on the net who does not own or use one and only judges a lens worth based on scores. There have been issues seen already with AF on the Art 35 with varying degrees of BF or FF, which could point to QC on a complicated optical layout which the Art 50 complicates even more. The Otus will be magnificient, MF only but I would hate to see the results of a portrait at any aperture of anyone who is older than say 25, without a perfect complexion and if female easily shocked by how much facial hair is on show. Lenses can be too sharp for their own good sometimes and this new Sigma and the Otus will surely prove it.

All the more reason to appreciate the absolute genius of the original Limiteds, 43 and 77, small, tactile, sharp enough, bags of charactor and proof that you don't need macro levels of definition from MFD to Infinity.

Saying that, I might actually get one of these Sigma 50s if they arrive in K land. If only to compare against my DA*55 and A50 f/1.2 which are fast enough, not zoom sized and allow me to choose a bit of softness over sharpness or art over science depending on your point of view.
S!

Last edited by robbiec; 01-11-2014 at 08:21 PM.
01-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
Boys will be boys and faster is always better just like a muscle car beats any other even if you just deliver a pizza...
I have a Peugeot 205 GTI as my fun drive, small, light, biggish engine. Enough room for a pizza , where I live and the roads I use, any supercar or muscle car would not see which way it went. Being too big can slow you down
01-12-2014, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #109

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I wonder where all this will end, this clamouring for sharpness at all apertures across the frame. So in the last 18 months we have seen the arrival of Sigma Arts 35 & 50, Zeiss Otus 55, all massive, all heavy, all basically oversized for 35mm. Forgot to mention the Nikon 58 but that is a lens that will get slated by every idiot on the net who does not own or use one and only judges a lens worth based on scores. There have been issues seen already with AF on the Art 35 with varying degrees of BF or FF, which could point to QC on a complicated optical layout which the Art 50 complicates even more. The Otus will be magnificient, MF only but I would hate to see the results of a portrait at any aperture of anyone who is older than say 25, without a perfect complexion and if female easily shocked by how much facial hair is on show. Lenses can be too sharp for their own good sometimes and this new Sigma and the Otus will surely prove it.

All the more reason to appreciate the absolute genius of the original Limiteds, 43 and 77, small, tactile, sharp enough, bags of charactor and proof that you don't need macro levels of definition from MFD to Infinity.

Saying that, I might actually get one of these Sigma 50s if they arrive in K land. If only to compare against my DA*55 and A50 f/1.2 which are fast enough, not zoom sized and allow me to choose a bit of softness over sharpness or art over science depending on your point of view.
S!
Fully agree and for a bit of fun along these lines check this:

The myths of sharpness - 'old' glass, German v Japan v Thailand, 'rare dangerous coatings' etc: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

basically the guy sings the praises of otus & co. only to conclude that:

" Until I started using these lenses I never once found it necessary to use these tools in LR (clarity reduction, sharpness reduction and skin softening). Now more than 90% of my post work is underemphasis of resolution and clarity as these lenses show way more than most women can tolerate seeing in their photos."

Great. Spends 4000 bucks on an Otus and winds up spending 90% of his time in post. The irony is lost on him though...

01-12-2014, 06:56 AM   #110

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I have a Peugeot 205 GTI as my fun drive, small, light, biggish engine. Enough room for a pizza , where I live and the roads I use, any supercar or muscle car would not see which way it went. Being too big can slow you down
Cool car, and a little rocket on wheels. Mine's a Peugeot too - alas a 407 station wagon :-(
01-12-2014, 07:22 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
Still waiting for the new 30/1.4... the fastest normal prime for APS-C and they don't release it for the mount where it would have the least competition (1.5 stops faster than the fastest normal prime available)...
FA 31mm f/1.8?
Sigma 35mm f/1.4?
01-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
FA 31mm f/1.8?
Sigma 35mm f/1.4?
Right, sorry. I was thinking of cheap options.

01-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tram57 Quote
hear - hear - I agree the 30 f1.4 would also be a very popular lens with the pentax crowd!
I'm sure that must not be true. If the previous version had sold well, I'm sure they would have released the updated version too.

The logic for why it should sell well is obvious: the comparable competition from Pentax costs triple (FA31) or is significantly slower and still more expensive (DA35 Ltd, now HD35 Ltd). Apparently reality didn't align with analysis. I'm sure the Sigma salespeople were similarly baffled.
01-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I'm sure that must not be true. If the previous version had sold well, I'm sure they would have released the updated version too.

The logic for why it should sell well is obvious: the comparable competition from Pentax costs triple (FA31) or is significantly slower and still more expensive (DA35 Ltd, now HD35 Ltd). Apparently reality didn't align with analysis. I'm sure the Sigma salespeople were similarly baffled.
yes, but the prior version of the sigma 30 was very soft off center. If the new art version has anywhere near the quality of the ART FF 35, for all the reasons (analysis) you articulate, I think it would be very popular.
02-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #115

Really impressed with the recent lenses (and strategy) announced by Sigma. I like where they are going.

---------- Post added 02-24-14 at 01:19 PM ----------

The only thing that I would like to see on these lenses is some weatherproofing.
03-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #116
Forum Member

The introduction of this new Art Lens allowed me to jump on a deal by B&H to get a brand new Sigma 50/1.4 EX DG HSM for $349.00. This sale was only a couple of months ago.
03-19-2014, 02:49 AM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am really upset with the mount politic of Sigma... I think I will boycott it from now on.
03-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I am really upset with the mount politic of Sigma... I think I will boycott it from now on.
What "mount politics" are you referring to? Sigma builds for the mounts that sell the most. Once the demand for the 50mm for Canon/Nikon have leveled off, they will start to release Alpha and K-mount versions. Its not a bad thing. By the time Sigma releases the new 50mm in K-mount they will have probably made a dozen internal revisions/improvements to the lens that are unpublished. Let Sigma work out all of their bugs on Canon & Nikon.
03-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
There're other s more urgent to boycott than Sigma then, like Tamron ...

03-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
There're other s more urgent to boycott than Sigma then, like Tamron ...

It's easy to boycott Tamron! Let's boycott Zeiss, Tokina, and Voigtlander while we're at it!