Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It's easy to boycott Tamron! Let's boycott Zeiss, Tokina, and Voigtlander while we're at it!
It's really easy to boycott Tamron when they don't release their new lenses in K mount! :-)

03-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
It's really easy to boycott Tamron when they don't release their new lenses in K mount! :-)
The other ones (Zeiss/Voigtlander/Tokina) aren't selling ANY product in K mount to my knowledge. Even easier.
03-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #123
Forum Member

Actually, a new 135 f/1.8 is supposedly on Sigma's to-do list, if rumors are to be believed. It will be enormous, for sure.

Now that is a lense i would love to have.
03-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suggest we boycott all brands which don't have K mount !!

03-19-2014, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #125
Veteran Member

yeah, let's start with those Canon lenses
03-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #126
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It's easy to boycott Tamron! Let's boycott Zeiss, Tokina, and Voigtlander while we're at it!
Hence the proposition
03-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #127

Two years ago I decided to boycott Pentax lenses. They are overpriced and too slow.

03-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dfujevec Quote
Two years ago I decided to boycott Pentax lenses. They are overpriced and too slow.
What's slow for some, is compact for others. If Pentax doesn't give you what you want, why not just change systems? If I wanted fast yet huge and heavy (and expensive), I'd go Canon for sure.

If you ever went Canon, I doubt you'd still think Pentax is overpriced...
03-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #129

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
What's slow for some, is compact for others. If Pentax doesn't give you what you want, why not just change systems? If I wanted fast yet huge and heavy (and expensive), I'd go Canon for sure.

In september 2011 I went FF Canon and yes I still think that Pentax lenses in EU are way overpriced. They are small, but they are small because they are slow. If I want small system I will buy micro 3/4 and I will have small system and still fast lenses.
03-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #130
Veteran Member

I wouldn't! Nikon is waaay closer to Pentax IMO.

QuoteQuote:
In the normal-ish range Canon seems to be cheaper than Pentax in my view. Nikon seems to be expensive on some things and cheaper on others.
03-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #131
Pentaxian

ElJamoquio, I've seen you doing the comparison before, and it's a bit of apples vs. oranges. You say that because one Nikon full frame zoom gives you the quality of several Pentax primes in one lens, therefore Nikon is cheaper. Sorry but I just can't accept that kind of reasoning.

dfujevec - Regarding prices in the EU - I could and probably am wrong about that. I was thinking about the US. Well, if Pentax priced itself out of the market in the EU, then just dump Pentax. Simples. If Pentax want the market, they should make an effort and price themselves accordingly for it, or change distributors - whatever it takes.

Edit: ok, having read your PM I understand what you are comparing. But just comparing f stops isn't enough. So you can't really compare the Canon 24mm 2.8 to the DA 15 f4 because one is an entry level lens, the other is a premium lens. The market placement comparison would be DA 15 f4 vs Canon 24mm f1.4, which is their premium 24mm. Canon chose to make their premium lens big and fast, Pentax chose small and slow. It's what I was saying earlier - it's just a different philosophy and people who want big and fast should go Canon.

Unfortunately Pentax doesn't have entry level wide angle primes, something I've pointed out many times... it's a hole in the lineup IMHO. A "plastic wide-tastic" 17,18,or 19mm f/2.8 would appease that need, for sure, I think Or even the optics of the old 20 2.8 in a plastic DA shell, would be very well received, I'm sure! The FA version of the 20 2.8 is still priced very high...

Last edited by ChristianRock; 03-20-2014 at 12:12 PM.
03-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dfujevec Quote
In september 2011 I went FF Canon and yes I still think that Pentax lenses in EU are way overpriced. They are small, but they are small because they are slow. If I want small system I will buy micro 3/4 and I will have small system and still fast lenses.
Yeah, something like Canon 50/1.8 vs Pentax DA50/1.8

Clearly, the Pentax is a lot slower.
03-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #133
Veteran Member

ElJamoquio, I've seen you doing the comparison before, and it's a bit of apples vs. oranges. You say that because one Nikon full frame zoom gives you the quality of several Pentax primes in one lens, therefore Nikon is cheaper. Sorry but I just can't accept that kind of reasoning.
D600+24-85 was cheaper (and slightly faster, tad longer, and very slighter shorter, and slightly lighter, and with vastly higher 'top end' upgrade potential) than the K-3 + 16-50 last time I checked.

In my personal life, I expected to purchase a bunch of (cheaper than Pentax but still expensive) primes. I didn't have to. I expected to pay for FF + primes, which is cheaper than APS-C + primes for me. I ended up paying for FF + zoom, which is cheaper than both both APS-C + primes and APS-C + zoom.

My personal life is easy to dismiss. Doesn't matter, the Nikon was cheaper.
03-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #134
Pentaxian

A D600? That's no bad cam for sure, but somehow (dunno really why) I can't get excited by a castrated body (which it indeed is).
And yes I know that the castrated D600 isn't much much less than a non castrated K-3 (read what you will between the lines, this is half an autocritic...).
03-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
A D600? That's no bad cam for sure, but somehow (dunno really why) I can't get excited by a castrated body (which it indeed is).
And yes I know that the castrated D600 isn't much much less than a non castrated K-3 (read what you will between the lines, this is half an autocritic...).
Castrated in what way? It's a vastly more capable cam than most of really need. Only a few years ago any kind of cam with these specs was a dream.

FWIW I've just spent an enjoyable day shooting a K series MF prime (50 bucks or so) on manual. How many gizmos are essential? A D610 is surely tempting; where I live, that and 2-3 primes is no more than a K3 (or Fuji or Olympus TOTL body) and similar.