Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

While I will never, ever have a need or want for this lens, I think it is fantastic of Sigma to release it. A lot of people just want one lens and a body. A quality Pentax body with a quality lens at a consumer price will bring in more people to Pentax (and Sigma). Hopefully that leads to more lenses overall.

01-13-2014, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Only very consumer grade and boring lenses from Sigma, such as this 'new' one, are available for K-mount *without asking*.
BUT things seem to change to the good? what about the professional Sigma Art-series 18-35mm? But admittedly that may be an experiment for Sigma just to test the waters. It may well turn out into a selling failure, because Pentax users, although they appreciate perfect Image quality of course, are not used to such heft and bulk.

But having said this: All I'm really asking for myself, is nothing more than a consumer grade "boring" (but good) standard zoom, actually. Unfortunately there's none around appealing enough to depart from the 18-55 I'm still using (and from what I want to upgrade). All current options (Pentax, Sigma, Tamron) have issues and problems, be it one or more out of
- poor flare / ghosting resistance (Sigma?, some Pentax such as 17-70)
- front/backfokus not constant through zoom range and/or object distance (risky to blame individual lenses here, as potentially linked to some extent with body autofokus qualities?)
- Overall performance too inconsistent through zoom range (e.g. 18-135)
- decentration issues, quality variation (all)
- overpriced for a produced performance level (often Pentax except 18-55 of course)
- SDM motors having an expiration date (some time after warranty ended)

All I want is something which may be as boring as hell, but which just works fine
What about a Kit III? I remember there was the Kit I for 10 MP, then came Kit 2 optimised for 14 MP (which I own), but what a bout a Kit III optimised for 24 MP? That would be sweet! (and would help body sales as well)

Last edited by Frater; 01-13-2014 at 04:28 AM.
01-13-2014, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
All I want is something which may be as boring as hell, but which just works fine
Try getting a DA16-45 f/4, it used to be "the better standard zoom" for Pentax. It has been discontinued but is still available new in some shops. IMHO it has a much nicer rendering than the 18-55 and sharpness is very good at f/4. Also, it has quote good close focusing abilities. It's only drawback is that at full extension (which is at 16mm!) the barrel can get "wobbly", so that's something to be. I fell and dropped mine and after that the wobbliness got worse and makes it slightly decenter images taken in portrait mode. I've now mostly moved to a pure prime setup (DA15, DA35, M50/1.7, DA70), but if I need a zoom I use it, and I'm still very fond of it. Check out my Pentax Photo gallery (see signature), I think about half the pictures were taken with the 16-45.
01-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
BUT things seem to change to the good? what about the professional Sigma Art-series 18-35mm? But admittedly that may be an experiment for Sigma just to test the waters. It may well turn out into a selling failure, because Pentax users, although they appreciate perfect Image quality of course, are not used to such heft and bulk.

But having said this: All I'm really asking for myself, is nothing more than a consumer grade "boring" (but good) standard zoom, actually. Unfortunately there's none around appealing enough to depart from the 18-55 I'm still using (and from what I want to upgrade). All current options (Pentax, Sigma, Tamron) have issues and problems, be it one or more out of
- poor flare / ghosting resistance (Sigma?, some Pentax such as 17-70)
- front/backfokus not constant through zoom range and/or object distance (risky to blame individual lenses here, as potentially linked to some extent with body autofokus qualities?)
- Overall performance too inconsistent through zoom range (e.g. 18-135)
- decentration issues, quality variation (all)
- overpriced for a produced performance level (often Pentax except 18-55 of course)
- SDM motors having an expiration date (some time after warranty ended)

What about a Kit III? I remember there was the Kit I for 10 MP, then came Kit 2 optimised for 14 MP (which I own), but what a bout a Kit III optimised for 24 MP? That would be sweet! (and would help body sales as well)
I understand that the manufactures may be chasing their tales a bit with ever increasing MP counts. Certainly some of my lenses look better at 100% on my K200 vs. K5, and I can't even imagine (well, actually I can) how disappointing they might be on a K3. But I'd be very content to have reliability and consistency, with the existing designed-in performance levels. It's that the implementations seem to leave so much to be desired that's disappointing.

01-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #20
Pentaxian

In looking at the descriptions and mtf curves on the sigma web site, I'm still not understanding how the new lens is being positioned vs. the 18-250. But Pentax users have so few choices in new lenses that any new option is definitely a welcome addition.

Update: I emailed sigma, asking them to explain the positioning of the 18-200 vs. the 18-250, and received no reply.

Last edited by tibbitts; 01-28-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: fixed typo
02-16-2014, 06:45 AM   #21

I have 2 Pentax bodies, K7 and *ist DL. Can anyone tell me if the Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM (Contemporary) autofocus is compatible with the older *ist DL. (I had that camera converted for infrared so it still gets used quite a lot.)

Last edited by henniker; 02-16-2014 at 06:46 AM. Reason: typo
02-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
it is not
No hsm lens will work.
02-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
it is not
No hsm lens will work.
Thanks for the info. I'll save my pennies. Kind regards, Dave.

02-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #24

Frater, I know what you mean about wanting a decent consumer grade "boring" lens. I'm kind of on the same quest. I have a bag full of primes that I usually use with my K-01, but I really wanted a decent all-purpose zoom for my K-30, specifically for times when toting around a bag full of primes is not practical (or just makes me look like a dork with a giant backpack). For now I've settled on the Promaster 28-105mm f/4.0-5.6, which I like quite a lot, though I wish it had a greater range. I'm really itching to see a review of the new Sigma to know if I should start saving my money for it.
02-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #25
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the Sigma 18-250 HSM OS. I've always been satisfied with it optically. If this one performs as well, it should be popular. There doesn't seem to be any aperture over the 18-250, though (unless it's in slower falloff at the wide end).
02-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #26

I am hoping for an upgrade to the 18-135WR, how about a 18-250(300)WR IF ? Pentax produced quite a lot of weather sealed DSLR but not much choice of compatible lenses, I don't expect top notch image quality of such lens but reasonable priced for general travel use, for best image quality I will shoot with those DA* and my old film MF primes.