Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #16
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well designed, yes, but what problem was it supposed to solve?
I'm not completely convinced by the GXR myself, otherwise I would own one, but the module design does offer solutions to some problems. Whether these are problems that bother you is another matter.
- APS-C primes are relatively compact, but zooms are not. The GXR design allows zoom units there still very compact, with the obvious compromise that they have a smaller sensor. Actually, this is a compromise I would be prepared to make if I had some large sensor primes as well.
- According to Ricoh, it is possible to match lens to sensor more precisely than if a mount were in the way, which should result in better IQ.
- The sensor is not exposed when changing lenses, so it should be more difficult for dirt to get in. But they didn't take full advantage of this by making it WR.

Sensors are tied up with the lenses, and you only have one old processing module; you can't upgrade anything.
Well, each lens unit has its own processor that handles image processing. Presumably, newer more demanding sensors would have carried more modern processors in them. The processor on the body side handles file storage and operational aspects of the body. So in effect, every body-unit combination is a dual processor system. The only bottleneck I noticed was the small buffer in the 1st (and only) generation body.

The following line-up could have tempted me. It could have been very versatile.
Bodies: Small GR-like one; large one with EVF, flash and large grip
1/1.7 units: wide zoom; normal zoom; telephoto zoom
APS-C units: 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm
Mount units: M-mount; K-mount; Q-mount

01-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
and whether we like it or not, Q seems to be a commercial success.
One should only notice the speed those limited edition Q sets disappear from the shelves the moment they are announced.
01-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
One should only notice the speed those limited edition Q sets disappear from the shelves the moment they are announced.
I don't even get the premium price for the silver K3. What's up with Japanese teenagers and Neon Genesis Evangelion anyway? It was 26 episodes in 1995.

I mean really. Not like it's Serenity or something.
01-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The main problem is that Ricoh didn't develop enough units to make it appeal beyond a couple of niches.
Yep. Nothing more to add here. It was a well-designed and well-made curiosity in the end.

Steve

01-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't even get the premium price for the silver K3. What's up with Japanese teenagers and Neon Genesis Evangelion anyway? It was 26 episodes in 1995.

I mean really. Not like it's Serenity or something.
What's up with Macross...that was 1982 Gundam was 1979 Yet they continue to be poplar and spawn new series.
01-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Actually, they're making a set of movies named "Rebuild of Evangelion" (the third and most recent was released in the U.S. 2 days ago - but ~1 year and 2 months ago in Japan; a fourth final one is expected). Yes, I had to look that up (not a fan of the series, and can't understand all the hype).
01-15-2014, 05:30 AM   #22

Well the idea of a camera with switchable lens + sensor is a great idea. why not push the enveloppe a tad more? why not have the same system with interchangeable sensors AND lenses? makes more sense to have one camera with all the options that they all have and have multiple offerings for the sensor and lenses. You might want to get out your sports sensor and lenses (very fast, less Mps, fast AF etc) and for a studio shoot, with controled lighting: slower, more depth of color, more precise. Or you might want to take your everyday sensor, cheap, cheerfull with a nasty lens, for those moments when you don't want to risk a 2000 $ sensor and lens??

SO what does Ritax have that no other has? the base for this sort of machine! they remove the GXR, they'll have it back as GXR II with a fully customeable system.

makes sense no??

even might include the FF option for testing and preproduction runs before putting it into a DSLR frame

01-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #23
Pentaxian

As a body fits anything, the GXR only had one mount module - the M one. It's worse than a NEX from this point of view.
But supposedly it's one of the better non Leica cameras for Leica lenses, and much better than the NEX-7 for wide M lenses.
01-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Well designed, yes, but what problem was it supposed to solve?
It is no longer of any practical consequence, but, FWIW:

You could have a "flat" sensor in a K-mountor (with a long registration distance)
and angled microlenses in a mountor for rangefinder lenses.
So optimal IQ with both K-mount and M-mount lenses.

The mother ship/mountor/lens setup gave full modularity.
01-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I liked the idea of the GXR... it has/had its own advantages over the other cameras.
I was actually going to get one but K-01 came along and I got that instead.

They should of kept it and improve it...
I remember reading that they had plans to use the body for other stuff like portable printers. Take pictures, remove lens, attach printer... print (how cool is that!?).
FF would of been an easy upgrade to it as well... I would still be interested in one to be honest. Sorry to see it go...
01-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

This mean resource can be allocated for design and production of others camera. Could it be that theplant that Ricoh use for the GXR coverted to produce Pentax camera?. If so that could be good news
01-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't even get the premium price for the silver K3
I considered it a bargain. I got the K-3 leather strap and and an extra battery. I figured that was at least worth the difference. Other places got the older flucard instead of the battery.

Hayao Yamazaki is coming out of retirement again since we're talking about anime.
01-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
I considered it a bargain. I got the K-3 leather strap and and an extra battery. I figured that was at least worth the difference. Other places got the older flucard instead of the battery.

Hayao Yamazaki is coming out of retirement again since we're talking about anime.
Anime? I'm kind of a browncoat.
01-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I liked the idea of the GXR... it has/had its own advantages over the other cameras.
I was actually going to get one but K-01 came along and I got that instead.

They should of kept it and improve it...
I remember reading that they had plans to use the body for other stuff like portable printers. Take pictures, remove lens, attach printer... print (how cool is that!?).
FF would of been an easy upgrade to it as well... I would still be interested in one to be honest. Sorry to see it go...
Should we assume you considered the GXR a worse idea than the K-01?
01-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A problem with a modular concept is that while new modules give you new capabilities, you may still be limited by the basic platform if they did not anticipate all the right technology advances. We see this all the time in computers, where every time there is a new storage standard, we hear that it will make all those incompatibility problems a thing of the past - then in a few years, we are having the exact same problems, just with bigger numbers.

Regarding Neon Genesis Evangelion, NGE came out when anime was kind of in a creative slump, and it influenced a lot of late 90s shows, plus Gainax merchandised the heck out of it. I was in an anime club at the time, and I remember the excitement when Evangelion came out. I watched about three episodes, thought "meh, Gunbuster with better animation", and went back to trying to translate NG Knight Lamune & 40. Now THERE was a series!

I've read that Hayou Miyazaki is talking about a Porco Rosso sequel, but someone else will direct.