Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
...Turning the switch back on SMC FF lens production for Pentax is probably not too difficult and production availability should be quicker, since design/production bugs have been worked out for those lens. Probably only needed a minor tweak here an there such as coating and labeling. While new APS-C lens takes quite a while to design & manufacture, switching back to FF lens maybe an easy thing to do, especially if they are to charge a corresponding premium to these FF lens with the new marketing label "designed for FF CMOS digital" or something silly like that. Good move on Samsung partnership.

Hold on to your K mount!

04-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
but are where users gonna find FF lenses?
unless they suddenly make the announcement that certain DA lenses were actually built for FF, otherwise, all the prices of used FF lenses (even shitty ones) will probably increase
time to buy some FA limiteds now :P
Heck, it's always time to buy FA limiteds.

But also the DA 40mm and DA 70mm cover the full frame.
04-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Then it's an endless cycle for Pentax to cover form extreme wide to medium telephoto. What Pentax is lacking now is the longer end. Only with Pentax that you can see so many variations of primes within a focal. I do hope they decide to go with FF though, even if it's not for me, it would offer more choice for potential buyer.

As for the lens design, APS-C design is more likely to be the recycle of FF design with less optimization. With the crop, one wouldn't care less if the corners are inadequate.
04-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #19
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by truonganh Quote
...Turning the switch back on SMC FF lens production for Pentax is probably not too difficult and production availability should be quicker, since design/production bugs have been worked out for those lens. Probably only needed a minor tweak here an there such as coating and labeling. While new APS-C lens takes quite a while to design & manufacture, switching back to FF lens maybe an easy thing to do, especially if they are to charge a corresponding premium to these FF lens with the new marketing label "designed for FF CMOS digital" or something silly like that. Good move on Samsung partnership.

Hold on to your K mount!
They'll probably be labeled "D FA*"

04-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JMS Quote
They'll probably be labeled "D FA*"
Or FDA approved *.

* = contains 35% of your daily required intake of FoV and DoF but is high in financially carcinigenic LBAs.
04-12-2008, 03:58 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
The surprise is that it is leaked to the press at this stage.
May I, sincerely, point to the fact that the information leaked to this forum
ONE DAY BEFORE
it leaked to the press. I.e., in my posting from April 10:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/215984-post1.html

I am so excited I was first
04-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #22
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They can make APS-C crop option like DX lenses on a D3.
There are also rumors that Schneider can make several lenses for Samsung.
04-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
They can make APS-C crop option like DX lenses on a D3.
There are also rumors that Schneider can make several lenses for Samsung.
They might, but given the current state of things I think they're far more likely to just rebadge Pentax lenses. I'd love to be wrong, though more options would be great.

04-13-2008, 01:23 AM   #24
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The reality is that Samsung CAN make FF sensor. It's very important. As for dates...
I think Samsung can announce sensor at Photokina in September this year,
but FF camera will see the light not early than 2010.
04-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
I wonder how the 645D will fill in this picture. Remember that there are actually real working pre-production samples, they're only waiting for the right planets alignment to release it...
The 645D was going to use a Kodak CCD sensor, which is very expensive, and perhaps this is one of the reasons the project was scrapped. If Samsung can make a full frame sensor, it should have non problem designing an even larger medium format CMOS sensor. Since CMOS sensors are cheaper to make than CCD sensors, especially in small quantities, a Pentax medium format digital camera with a CMOS sensor can be either more profitable (if sold at the same price as the competition) or cheaper.
04-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #26

but are where users gonna find FF lenses?
unless they suddenly make the announcement that certain DA lenses were actually built for FF, otherwise, all the prices of used FF lenses (even shitty ones) will probably increase
time to buy some FA limiteds now :P
There are lots of full frame K mount lenses on eBay. As for new lenses, all that Pentax has to do is to just dust off the blue prints for the old FA lenses and give them cosmetic face lifts and a digital label. Just say they are designed for digital and they will sell like hot cakes.

The full frame market is going to be smaller than the APS-C market, so demand should not go up all that much.
04-14-2008, 01:41 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
There are lots of full frame K mount lenses on eBay. As for new lenses, all that Pentax has to do is to just dust off the blue prints for the old FA lenses and give them cosmetic face lifts and a digital label. Just say they are designed for digital and they will sell like hot cakes.
Judging from interview of Pentax executives old Pentax lenses aren't suitable for digital 35 camera. They don't plan 35, but if once it will happen it will be after 645.

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
* full-frame 35mm: The concept is clearly doable, and a development plan would be possible "I think~I guess" (as in, "we haven't done such a plan"). I can't say it would be impossible. But the priority is the 645, not 35mm. Pentax don't have the resources to do both at the same time, so any 35mm camera would be developed after the 645 is released.

When asked if there is any planning or awareness of a possible 35mm camera in the future regarding lens development, the answer is that lenses are focused on APS cameras (as that is the volume segment they're developing). As for old FA lenses, there are issues with using such lenses with a 35mm digital sensor. Implies a 35mm camera would entail a whole new setup of lenses and other accessories as well, effectively making it a separate system.
04-14-2008, 07:00 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Restarting production of old lenses

Someone pointed out, in one of these discussions of full-frame dslrs, that some of the old Pentax 35mm lenses used rare earth elements in the glass formulation. Some of these elements have been banned in some countries and all of the EU.

The addition of these elements significantly alters the optical characteristics of the glass, so the design of the lens takes this into account. Leaving these elements out would require significant optical redesign of the lenses. IOW, you can't substitute plain old glass.

So, restarting production of old lens designs might not be as easy as it seems.
04-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
So, restarting production of old lens designs might not be as easy as it seems.
The EU Technical Advisory Committee (TAC), on 2004, December 10, has ruled an exception to "Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronical Equipment – RoHS".

It is now allowed again to use lead and cadmium in optical lens glass (exception #12 RoHS).

However, the exception does not apply to other materials like mercury, six-valued chromium or PBDE and PBB. But I guess, compared to lead the other stuff is easier to substitute if used at all.
04-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #30
Veteran Member

That's exactly my concern. if the lenses show a bit of vignetting now, what would they look like at FF? if they do do full frame, i hope they have an APS-C crop option which i think Nikon has for their DX lenses on a D3
Remember though that you can not expect from ultra-wide DA lenses to become usable on an FF body and they will always show severe vignetting. DA 18-55 and DA 50-200 are not the best in that regard, but some lenses are surprisingly FF-friendly. There are many tests posted and I have performed several myself (with my MX) and from what I can remember here is how it goes:

DA 14 - not good for FF
DA 21 - not good for FF
DA 40 - FF
DA 70 - FF
DA 10-17 - good for FF from about 14mm and up
DA 12-24 - good for FF from about 16mm and up
DA 18-55 - good for FF from about 22mm and up
DA 16-45 - good for FF from about 20mm and up
DA 50-200 - not good for FF at both ends, FF only mid-range

I would expect DA 35 to be FF as well and I won't be surprised to see DA 55-300 in the same boat.

Actually, I remember that richardday has posted some tests at DPreview but I can not find them anymore.