Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2008, 06:15 AM   #1
Forum Member

Samasung hints @ a Full Frame Camera!

Samsung hints at full-frame camera
Friday 11th April 2008

Barney Britton and Chris Cheesman
Samsung has hinted at plans to develop a full-frame CMOS imaging sensor for use in a 'professional' standard digital SLR.

So far, however, the sensor has only reached the design stage and it is far from clear whether it will become a reality.

We also understand that, late last year, Samsung Electronics set up a secret team within its HQ in Suwon to begin research on a professional DSLR.

Samsung has also made clear that its relationship with Pentax is ongoing.

The news emerged during an informal discussion with a high-ranking Samsung official at an industry event in Seoul, Korea, attended by AP technical writer Barney Britton.

Kyong-Kook Shin, assistant manager for Samsung's digital camera marketing planning group, suggested that the firm is actively pursuing development of a full-frame CMOS sensor intended for use in a professional camera.

Reporting on the 2 April meeting, Barney writes: 'Although there is no indication yet as to when it might arrive, it seems now that photographers can look forward to a professional full-frame DSLR with a Pentax lens mount at some point in the future.'

Samsung UK's office was not able to confirm the comments made by Kyong-Kook Shin.

Commercial director Robert King said: 'Samsung is committed to the DSLR market and we are continuing to invest in R&D in this important market sector. However, we are unable to provide further comment on any future product development at this time.'

Samsung's latest DSLR is the 14-million-pixel GX-20, which carries an APS-C size sensor.

Picture: Samsung's latest DSLR, the GX-20, carries an APS-C size sensor

04-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #2

A Samsung full frame CMOS sensor is not a surprise. The surprise is that it is leaked to the press at this stage. I think the pressure from consumers for assurance that Pentax and Samsung are planning on a full frame has been the reason of the leak. After Sony goes full frame later this year, Pentax will be the only 35mm format DSLR camera maker without a full frame DSLR. That would hurt the prestige of both Pentax and the Samsung brand cameras tremendously.
04-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree w/ Anastigmat. It's an eventuality and since it'll take at least a year or two to do the dev work on it, it makes sense that it's already in the works. I'd guess we'll have one next year and the price won't be that bad...maybe $1800 because it'll have to compete w/ the Sony who's also pushing the price envelope to take market share away from Nikon/Canon...

Consumers win as they should because they'll have more choices :-)
04-11-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

but are where users gonna find FF lenses?
unless they suddenly make the announcement that certain DA lenses were actually built for FF, otherwise, all the prices of used FF lenses (even shitty ones) will probably increase
time to buy some FA limiteds now :P

04-11-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

yep I think so too. I think they are a little worried they will lose people to sony so need to drop hints they will have something better (even if they dont at the moment
04-11-2008, 07:12 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
unless they suddenly make the announcement that certain DA lenses were actually built for FF, otherwise, all the prices of used FF lenses (even shitty ones) will probably increase
time to buy some FA limiteds now :P
While it seems many of the DAs are actually capable of hosting a larger sensor, what remains to be tested is their edge performance in this capacity. My pie in the sky is that Pentax has been shipping lenses for a FF sensor for a while, I'm dying to actually know but lack the equipment to verify it.

On a personal note, all the lenses I have are FF. The Voigtlanders, Zeiss and every lens not a DA is compatible and available. I think if any company starting fresh into this market could be forgiven for not having a robust initial selection, having a K mount at least makes it possible to have a lot of choice to tide one over until new stuff takes over (kinda like now as we all chomp on the bit of the 08 roadmap waiting for holes to be filled)
04-11-2008, 07:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
While it seems many of the DAs are actually capable of hosting a larger sensor, what remains to be tested is their edge performance in this capacity. My pie in the sky is that Pentax has been shipping lenses for a FF sensor for a while, I'm dying to actually know but lack the equipment to verify it.
That's exactly my concern. if the lenses show a bit of vignetting now, what would they look like at FF? if they do do full frame, i hope they have an APS-C crop option which i think Nikon has for their DX lenses on a D3

Last edited by k100d; 04-11-2008 at 08:21 AM.
04-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #8

I wonder how the 645D will fill in this picture. Remember that there are actually real working pre-production samples, they're only waiting for the right planets alignment to release it...
04-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

On a personal note, all the lenses I have are FF. The Voigtlanders, Zeiss and every lens not a DA is compatible and available. ...
I'm curious as to which Zeiss that you got . You're probably one of the few here actually gets into German optics (or at least the name).
04-11-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
I'm curious as to which Zeiss that you got . You're probably one of the few here actually gets into German optics (or at least the name).
Yeah, it kind of sounded like I meant I had Zeiss there on second read. I was just implying that I'd selected FF lenses myself, and that there were plenty of options out there. Of course Pentax will need a sales model, but even if there weren't many actual lenses for a FF system to start, the end user would still have many options.

As you know however, I do have many Voigtlanders And I discovered that the camera shop a few minutes walk from me now carries Zeiss ZK line. I will be sorely tempted to cave for the 50/2...
04-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

And I discovered that the camera shop a few minutes walk from me now carries Zeiss ZK line. I will be sorely tempted to cave for the 50/2...
Macro Planar? is it better than the D/FA50 and doesn't do 1:1
i'm sure a lot of people would be interested in seeing what that lens can do!
04-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You can't go wrong with Zeiss or Leica, but they just price so damn high. If they price it like Pentax, I would probalby buy all just to display them . And you're so lucky to have a store that carries ZK line. If you are ever going to buy the Distagon 35/2, please do a comparison against the 31LTD. That lens is on my list (but at the bottom right now). And like all macro from Zeiss, you'll be happy with the 50/2 for sure (probably the a little worse IQ than the Voigtlander 125).
04-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Maybe it will be a M42 mount body?
04-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

As said I have a feeling the 645D might make a come back as a FF camera, makes more sense in the price range to.
04-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
As said I have a feeling the 645D might make a come back as a FF camera, makes more sense in the price range to.
This makes sense... after Pentax announced that the 645D will be put on hold, all the 645D posters in Pentax stores here were torn down... but after visiting one of the Pentax stores yesterday, the poster of the 645D is again displayed, with a new line above left of the poster that says "coming soon" in an explosion-like graphic.