Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
DA 40 - FF
DA 70 - FF
i think other people have said the DA35 is FF too
but i do remember reading somewhere that a full frame sensor doesn't react the same as film ... so even if no vignetting on film there may be on FF digital, something about angles and incidence or something, i hated physics so i didn't understand

how does the D3 viewfinder distinguish between FF and DX crop?
edit: answer my own question here, on DX mode the extra bits are greyed out

Last edited by k100d; 04-14-2008 at 08:23 PM.
04-15-2008, 05:04 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Samsung...Pentax?

It sure looks like Samsung are heading for FF territory. It will be interesting to see if Pentax follow suit.

Ben
04-15-2008, 05:43 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
It sure looks like Samsung are heading for FF territory. It will be interesting to see if Pentax follow suit.

Ben
If Samsung did come out with a K20D sized body with a FF sensor and Pentax didn't you might find yourself in a very interesting situation. As a Pro you will of course do what's best for you.
04-15-2008, 06:19 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
If Samsung did come out with a K20D sized body with a FF sensor and Pentax didn't you might find yourself in a very interesting situation. As a Pro you will of course do what's best for you.
Pentax just has to produce world class glass. I assume that's where most of the profit is anyways. And depending on who does what, OEM'ing parts and maybe even chassis designs to Samsung would make Hoya more comfortable
Always was an "interesting" partnership.....

04-16-2008, 02:46 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Exactly!

Ben
04-16-2008, 03:00 AM   #36
and
Veteran Member

It would be interesting if Samsung actaully released a body that wasnt a de facto copy of a pentax body, then we would get more choice for our K mount lenses. ditto if samsung started making some original lenses.
04-16-2008, 05:43 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah. but would a ff camera body be any better for a pro? Some have switched from ff to end up here.
thanks
barondla
Many of the lenses wouldn't work as they should. They would be too wide! (couldn't resist that - hear it so much from the ff people).

04-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Some have switched from ff
The D300 is a perfect example. In my local photo club there's a few guys with a D3 and a D300. All three of them like the D300 better. It's smaller, your tele-lenses are magnified and the high ISO performance is 99% of the D3. I've seen their 1600ISO images, and they rival ISO 100 images of not long ago. As technology increases I don't see APS going away. If it can capture as nice of an image in a more compact package then why bother with what they call 'FF'? I've never shot a picture with my DSLR's where the frame wasn't full of something!
04-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by proudtoshootpentax Quote
As technology increases I don't see APS going away. If it can capture as nice of an image in a more compact package then why bother with what they call 'FF'?
Don't forget the "free" 1.5x multiplier for sports/birding
I don't see why we can't have both either. FF for times when you want more low light performance and/or do landscape photos and/or portraits. APS-C for sports/birding, etc.
04-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #40

It does not magnify the image it just crops it!!!
04-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Don't forget the "free" 1.5x multiplier for sports/birding
I don't see why we can't have both either. FF for times when you want more low light performance and/or do landscape photos and/or portraits. APS-C for sports/birding, etc.
Shades of Nikon. Check out the D3 - it allows you to do exactly that.
04-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
That's just it though... these guys are saying (and they're out shooting owls and birds at twilight) that the ISO of the APS-C sensor'ed Nikon are giving ISO results that are extremely hard to differentiate from the D3. In the end, there may eventually be no advantage to FF, and if you look at Olympus, it may turn out that what will win will be even smaller sensors. I'd love to have a K20D with even better low light performance and more dynamic range which gives a 300mm lens the perspective of a 600mm lens. It's not that far away.

(of course if you crop a picture from a K20D now you'll end up with almost the same resolution as the 10mp Olympus E-3... so I don't see that they've got any advantage over us... well except that line of f2.0 lenses that you have to sell a child to afford.)
04-16-2008, 06:54 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Exactly!

Ben
But they would do a 645 instead - which would you prefer (given your previous comments to me about a K20D vs a 1DS mk2).
04-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by proudtoshootpentax Quote
that the ISO of the APS-C sensor'ed Nikon are giving ISO results that are extremely hard to differentiate from the D3. In the end, there may eventually be no advantage to FF
I still find that hard to believe. I think either the Thom Hogan or Ken Rockwell Nikon sites covered the D3 vs. D300 performance and the D3 was clearly better...maybe not 10x better, but better by some amount. The question is always whether you'd pay extra for that amount and because some people always will, there will always be FF vs. APS-C
04-17-2008, 02:54 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
But they would do a 645 instead - which would you prefer (given your previous comments to me about a K20D vs a 1DS mk2).
I would love to see a 645D. Compact, Ergonomically Sound, Mobile, Great Lens Choices and Resolution.

Ben