Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #151
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
For a photographer looking to invest in a camera, B+ grades across the board is better than an A in one area and Cs to Fs in others.
Faulty generalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

01-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #152

Many industry observers predict that 1 or 2 years form now, Olympus won't exist. When you are a smaller player, establishing a niche and prioritizing stable growth can be a much better course than trying to hit home runs with every product.
1- or 2-years is short to see Olympus go under, imo. One example is Pentax. They've survived the debacle in recent years, which nobody but few predicted. Olympus has got through the most serious moment of book-cooking with the help of two big banks, Mitsui-Sumitomo and Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, which would be impossible in the Western standard. I don't think Olympus is healthy in terms of financial performance, but as long as banks support them, Olympus would have some room to breathe. That's the way the Japanese does business. There are a bunch of the so-called "zombie companies" here.
01-22-2014, 02:34 AM   #153
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
1- or 2-years is short to see Olympus go under, imo. One example is Pentax. They've survived the debacle in recent years, which nobody but few predicted. Olympus has got through the most serious moment of book-cooking with the help of two big banks, Mitsui-Sumitomo and Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, which would be impossible in the Western standard. I don't think Olympus is healthy in terms of financial performance, but as long as banks support them, Olympus would have some room to breathe. That's the way the Japanese does business. There are a bunch of the so-called "zombie companies" here.
Oohh I don't know if 1- or 2-years is a short term. Not to say that it is Olympus going under, but there will be victims in this periode until the end of 2015. Olympus had the bad periode in a time that the cameramarket was still growing. But now the cameramarket is still shrinking looking for its new natural level off sales in different markets (dslr, milc, P&S, etc). That market is going to be considderable smaller then the market was in 2013 and that was only 50 % off the market in 2011.
01-22-2014, 05:02 AM   #154

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Oohh I don't know if 1- or 2-years is a short term. Not to say that it is Olympus going under, but there will be victims in this periode until the end of 2015. Olympus had the bad periode in a time that the cameramarket was still growing. But now the cameramarket is still shrinking looking for its new natural level off sales in different markets (dslr, milc, P&S, etc). That market is going to be considderable smaller then the market was in 2013 and that was only 50 % off the market in 2011.
I think that market force doesn't matter for Olympus to ditch camera business. "doesn't matter" may be too strong, but Olympus has a reason not to have to take loss in camera business so seriously. As you know, Olympus is making money by medical equipment, especially the endoscope that Olympus has a 75% share in the market. Then why doesn't Olympus just give up camera and concentrate on medical equipment? The reason can be summarized by two: lens technology can be applied to the development of endoscope, and retail camera business is useful as an advertisement for Olympus. That's why Olympus isn't sensitive to the loss in camera, which is reinforced by the strong support of two of the top three banks in Japan.

01-22-2014, 05:38 AM   #155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Slothful Induction - Wikipedia
01-22-2014, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #156

I also heard rumors that Sony will scale back its consumer products division, and that its most profitable business is insurance; and that Panasonic will be getting out of the camera industry.
01-22-2014, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #157
Veteran Member

Really? That seems to be exactly the niche they are filling in the SLR space. Show me a Nikon or Canon that is as full featured and compact as the K-3.
Those are some strict rules there. No, no Nikon or Canon. And no SLR either. I can show you something that is much more compact and packed with more punch then the K-3 though? From a brand who wasn't afraid of innovation. Tell me, do consumers abide by the don't-compare-apples-with-oranges-rules too? Because then I am in very serious violation and need to bring some gear back to the store right away.

01-22-2014, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #158
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
I also heard rumors that Sony will scale back its consumer products division, and that its most profitable business is insurance; and that Panasonic will be getting out of the camera industry.
Panasonic is retreating from consumer products on many fronts - Plasma TVs, Cell Phones, and compact camera divisions are all either in the process of shutting down or scaling back. They haven't said anything yet about their u43 business although they did announce new products in that line recently.

Sony's agenda in the camera business is much different than Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji, or just about anyone else. They want to push the industry in terms of electronics because they sell components like sensors, microprocessors, and LCDs, and other chips to everyone else in the industry and they are happy to sell or license virtually anything they put into their camera to their competitors. In the consumer realm, they will continue to be Sony and doing what Sony does in all of their consumer electronic lines - selling a solid but somewhat quirky product with a couple premium features (like a Zeiss lens), a couple gimmicky features (like panorama), and a couple of quirky features (like memory stick or SLT) at an ultra premium price.
01-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I can show you something that is much more compact and packed with more punch then the K-3 though?
Can you? And if you can find one or two examples, what would it prove? That Pentax is not pursuing "high quality, durability and affordability in a small package"? Definitely not, because they are - and it's seen in their products. OTOH, can you say that a company which mainly makes cheap viewfinderless cameras and one or two that fits those requirements is pursuing those ideals?
01-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #160

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
Sony's most profitable division is finance including insurance and bank. Sure it is. Without it, Sony would be in a big trouble because manufacturing is bleeding.
01-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #161
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
Sony's most profitable division is finance including insurance and bank. Sure it is. Without it, Sony would be in a big trouble because manufacturing is bleeding.
More precisely, overproduction is bleeding. Manufacturing is tied to unrealistic goals, that's all.
Many should learn a lesson or two from Ricoh Imaging and Leica, when it comes to production estimates of cameras at least.
01-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #162
Den
Veteran Member

So if Pentax came out with a FF, what difference would it make to you? Would you make bigger prints? Would you sell more? Would your ego be more fulfilled? Would you feel more accepted as a pro? Just curious, as I too would probably get one, just for the hell of it in my case.
01-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
So if Pentax came out with a FF, what difference would it make to you? Would you make bigger prints? Would you sell more? Would your ego be more fulfilled? Would you feel more accepted as a pro? Just curious, as I too would probably get one, just for the hell of it in my case.
Less money outlay, slightly less stuff to carry around, bigger prints, better pics, enjoy the viewfinder, etc.

Not a necessity but it'd be nice.
01-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #164
Banned

Original Poster
I think this is one off the major issues. If you sell prints, people don't pay more for them. You don't sell more then you did before. People probably won't need bigger prints. I walk around with a Yellow K-01, I don't care what people think.

I got two 59 inch hi prints made from images made with the yellow K-01. You really don't need anything more for that.

I still hope to have the funds to buy the FF, since it probably will be good for my small ego.
01-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #165
Site Supporter

I'd buy a FF for no other reason at all than to amuse myself, And it would not be Pentax as I would like to play around with lenses from another system.

Meanwhile, I still love my K-5 IIs to death.