Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #181
Forum Member

Thank you for the interesting report, Ron!

01-27-2014, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #182
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
How about a "smart grip" that incorporates all the radios and antennas of a smart phone and has a processor capable of running android.
01-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #183
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
It does not need that connectivity and camera to start all at once. Camera can start in an instant, and, wile you take the pictures, wifi and others features can start as well.
I don't think it will, Jimmy. In Android the camera is an app and loads after the OS. This is a problem of implementing in software.
01-28-2014, 01:04 AM   #184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
How about a "smart grip" that incorporates all the radios and antennas of a smart phone and has a processor capable of running android.
No need for Android to do this. But a "simple" connectivity grip isn't a bad idea, indeed.

01-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No need for Android to do this. But a "simple" connectivity grip isn't a bad idea, indeed.
Something like a FluCard for Pentax on steroids then?
01-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #186
Veteran Member

I can't comment on the Pentax Flucard of course, but if the Pentax Flucard works just as "good" as the regular Flucard, Eye-fi, Transcend wireless cards, then they really do need in-camera connectivity. And preferably not in a seperate grip; not for functionality that can easily fit in the camera itself. We've arrived in 2014, photographers that want connectivity don't want to spend time on fidgetting around with setting up networks, network ID's, passwords, handshakes etc... They want to take a picture and edit it on their tablet, or share it. Take Near Field Commication as an example: The user just bangs two devices together and they're connected.
01-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Something like a FluCard for Pentax on steroids then?
If you want yes. But it could provide more: battery life obviously. But Wifi, 3G/4G, GPS, HDMI, tethering ...

01-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #188
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
We've arrived in 2014, photographers that want connectivity don't want to spend time on fidgetting around with setting up networks, network ID's, passwords, handshakes etc... They want to take a picture and edit it on their tablet, or share it. Take Near Field Commication as an example: The user just bangs two devices together and they're connected.
Maybe in EU, but here I don't trust auto-DNS and WPA-2 for security.

The user just bangs two devices together and they're connected.
Banging two Android phones together is a cute trick for a middle schooler. Not on my Wi-Fi Network.

Once I set up my Eye-Fi cards for my first Q I was astonished to just shove them in my K-3 and instantly the Wi-Fi icon appeared and the camera (well, the card) connected to my Network.

You can be sure the first time a 'connected' camera comes out of the box it will need to be set up with passwords, Network ID's, protocols, router and gateway addresses for the network and for the Hotspot Wi-Fi of the tablet when away from the network. You can bet cellular account infomration will be necessary for roaming uploads to the cloud.
01-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #189
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
If you want yes. But it could provide more: battery life obviously. But Wifi, 3G/4G, GPS, HDMI, tethering ...
I guess those are the steroids I meant
01-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #190
Veteran Member

Banging two Android phones together is a cute trick for a middle schooler. Not on my Wi-Fi Network.
I didn't want to mention it but if you put it like THAT: NFC works really very well with the A7 and Xperia Z1. Bang them together and presto: connectivity. It even enables the use of the Xperia as a detached liveview display, triggering the shutter, etc... All without any fidgetting with wireless setting, passwords, wireless ID's, etc.
01-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I like that idea... !!
01-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't want to mention it but if you put it like THAT: NFC works really very well with the A7 and Xperia Z1. Bang them together and presto: connectivity. It even enables the use of the Xperia as a detached liveview display, triggering the shutter, etc... All without any fidgetting with wireless setting, passwords, wireless ID's, etc.
Near Field Connection only works when it works - and even then only when it does. Of course, except when you don't want it to - then it works fine!!

The interfacing is the security. I don't want my stuff connectiing to some dude's stuff I passed by on the sidewalk.

I don't need any help connecting my devices to one another the way I want them connected and I certainly don't need my camera to connect to anything with a tap. I can quickly and easily connect to what I want when I want, securely, all by myself. Doesn't take as long as connecting my car to my garage door opener - that's for sure!

Last edited by monochrome; 01-28-2014 at 12:51 PM.
01-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #193
Pentaxian

About Android, there's this very pertinent joke:
"-Knock, knock!
-Who's there?
(very long pause)
-Java!"
Android means Java, and because of it I had to buy a new phone because 512 RAM and 1GHz processor weren't enough to fluently display a GUI - and was getting slower by the day; and then there's the battery life. I won't have it in my camera, period.

My phone is a Sony running Android, by the way (no rootkit detected so far ).
01-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
About Android, there's this very pertinent joke:
"-Knock, knock!
-Who's there?
(very long pause)
-Java!"
Android means Java, and because of it I had to buy a new phone because 512 RAM and 1GHz processor weren't enough to fluently display a GUI - and was getting slower by the day; and then there's the battery life. I won't have it in my camera, period.

My phone is a Sony running Android, by the way (no rootkit detected so far ).
Not entirely true... Android is not just JAVA...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

Android is based on Linux kernel... the apps are mainly developed on JAVA. The middleware is C.
Look for the "Software stack" on that page for a more detailed explanation on how it works.

edit...

The ONLY phone (as far as I know) that is pure Linux based is the Ubuntu phone...

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-28-2014 at 01:13 PM.
01-28-2014, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #195
Veteran Member

Near Field Connection only works when it works - and even then only when it does. Of course, except when you don't want it to - then it works fine!!

The interfacing is the security. I don't want my stuff connectiing to some dude's stuff I passed by on the sidewalk.

I don't need any help connecting my devices to one another the way I want them connected and I certainly don't need my camera to connect to anything with a tap. I can quickly and easily connect to what I want when I want, securely, all by myself. Doesn't take as long as connecting my car to my garage door opener - that's for sure!
NFC hasn't failed me yet. I tried both the Eyefi and the generic Flucard, while they do work, they also make me want to pop a vein a in my brain. It's a tedious, time consuming fidgety process. Takes me away from taking picture far to long. Worrying about people snooping around in my SD is the least of my worries. I'm not in the habit of taking embarrassing selfies.