Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #196
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I tried both the Eyefi and the generic Flucard, while they do work, they also make me want to pop a vein a in my brain. It's a tedious, time consuming fidgety process
I'm concerned more about tunneling onto my network server and secure feeds through the device portal.

Both cards are much easier now on the Pentax cameras with the Firmware updates. I literally put an Eye-Fi card in my K3 and connection was instanteous. None of this matters any more though.

Pentax will apparently announce a new Wi-Fi and NFC enabled mid-range camera next week.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-28-2014 at 02:09 PM.
01-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Both are much easier on the Pentax cameras with the Firmware updates. I literally put an Eye-Fi card in my K3 and connection was instanteous. None of this matters
Admitted, after experiencing the generic flucard in the K-5, I will not be buying the Pentax iteration for my K-3. So I cannot comment on that.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax will apparently announce a new Wi-Fi and NFC enabled mid-range camera next week.
Wait what? Oh wow, and a new lens!
01-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #198
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Not entirely true... Android is not just JAVA...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

Android is based on Linux kernel... the apps are mainly developed on JAVA. The middleware is C.
Look for the "Software stack" on that page for a more detailed explanation on how it works.

edit...

The ONLY phone (as far as I know) that is pure Linux based is the Ubuntu phone...
Yes, it's not pure Java (which would be impossible anyway) - but IMO it's the Java part which does the harm. We know Linux can be fast on such devices; the Nokia N900 was nothing special hardware-wise, but was OK running the Linux-based Maemo.
01-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, it's not pure Java (which would be impossible anyway) - but IMO it's the Java part which does the harm. We know Linux can be fast on such devices; the Nokia N900 was nothing special hardware-wise, but was OK running the Linux-based Maemo.
Agree, I hate Java with passion

01-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I suppose they made up a batch, and found enough takers in the Japanese market for it to be worthwhile.
They also offered the FA 20-35, and an FA J zoom.

The Japanese website was quite amazing up to a year or so ago,
with medium-format film cameras (645N, 67) being offered for the "professional" market.

I don't know if you can still find the site on the wayback machine,
or if someone archived it.
I think that part of that explanation (the FA and FAJ's) were a stock pile caused by overproduction around 2000-2005 when Pentax didn't grasp how fast film SLRs dissapeared, and since they had it in stock, it was for sale. Part of it is probably just that they didn't updated the page until Ricoh took over (Hoya probably fired the guy who was supposed to do that...).
The 67 and 645 lenses were probably there because the medium formal film camera market died more slowly than the 135mm film SLR market, especially in Japan, and Pentax 67 and 645 cameras was manudactured a few years after the millenium turn.

But it appears that the SMC Pentax-A 50mm f1.2 was produced for a while a few years ago. It seams to be the only reasonable explanation to why those lenses appeared labeled "assembled in vietnam". Perhaps it was the graduation project of every new technician on the lens assembly lines in their vietnam plant?
01-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #201
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
But it appears that the SMC Pentax-A 50mm f1.2 was produced for a while a few years ago. . . . Perhaps it was the graduation project of every new technician on the lens assembly lines in their vietnam plant?
Now you're scaring me!
01-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #202
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
But it appears that the SMC Pentax-A 50mm f1.2 was produced for a while a few years ago. It seams to be the only reasonable explanation to why those lenses appeared labeled "assembled in vietnam". Perhaps it was the graduation project of every new technician on the lens assembly lines in their vietnam plant?
That was already a few years ago. Maybe they had leftover stock or parts to assembly. The 50mm/f1.2 is also the best lens people wouldn't mind not having AF, since the fast aperture off f1.2 is great for creative photography.

It is also a lens that could get a digital version with HD coating I think.

On Manual Focus Digital lenses:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/146899-new-lensline-pentax-dm-wr-manual-focus-only.html

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 01-29-2014 at 12:12 PM.
01-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #203

where can I get this book???
01-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #204
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxina Quote

I have no idea....where to buy.
01-31-2014, 07:21 PM   #205

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxina Quote
You can buy it on the website of Ricoh-Imaging Japan.

Here is the link: ???????? | RICOH IMAGING

It's around $52 in the current exchange rates.
01-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #206
Pentaxian

The book looks like it's in English, but the page isn't.
01-31-2014, 07:46 PM   #207

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The book looks like it's in English, but the page isn't.
I haven't read the book, so I don't know whether it's written in English or not. It looks like the delivery is limited in Japan, but you can ask them if you want. According to the website, you can see over 200 photos in the book, some of which have been accepted in the family salon photo festival held by Pentax.
01-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #208
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, it's not pure Java (which would be impossible anyway) - but IMO it's the Java part which does the harm.
Technically, it's a VM internally, but it's not Java. It's Java compiled into something else (not java bytecode which gets translated).
Recompiling a language into another can be fast like Dart compiled to Javascript.
And VMs can be fast...Windows Phone feels snappier, but it's mostly programmed in .Net which is another VM.

Sorry...totally Off Topic...
02-01-2014, 03:07 AM   #209
Pentaxian

It's not JVM but Dalvik - and then, there's ART; that's true but also a bit irrelevant in our discussion I'm trying to avoid entering into technical details and bore most people to death. Let's say that in my experience Java always slows down things.

What is fast is well written native code.
02-01-2014, 03:18 AM   #210
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

What is fast is well written native code.
Yep, anything putting an extra barrier between the hardware and you (such as a virtual machine or The Cloud) will slow you down. :-(