Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #226
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
So we're reaching again a saturation point?
It does look like it and sales are slowing down overhere in our economy. I do wonder by how much this year the decline will be. Our economy looks like is recovering slower then the rest off Europe (by 1-2 year) due to some internal issues.

02-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #227
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
P&S's are on their way out. Nothing new or unexpected with the top graph.

The bottom graph is/was unexpected to me. but it's still just one data point, and I don't think that cell phones are a threat to ILC's yet.
I think the beauty of ILC's is decoupling optics with their durable quality and value from electronics which become obsolete annually and rapidly depreciate. If they were smart, camera manufacturers would emphasize this more in their marketing message.
04-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #228

Photos: Albums
Very informative report. Must keep pushing the Pentax name. It carries such a high reputation everywhere. Getting into sport in a big way is a very goog idea.
04-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

P&S's are on their way out. Nothing new or unexpected with the top graph.

The bottom graph is/was unexpected to me. but it's still just one data point, and I don't think that cell phones are a threat to ILC's yet.
1. High-end P&S should enjoy a renaissance as larger sensors get cheaper and are kitted into bodies for discerning photographers. The 1990's saw a war between camera companies trying to serve the compact "pro" segment. This was Ricoh's bread and butter back in the day withe the analog GRs. Olympus, Nikon, Fuji, and Contax as well.

2. I believe a great number of people have tried ILCs in this digital Golden Age photographic transformation, but they find ILCs cumbersome (small body, largish lens, still) and perhaps too pricey. They also have not networked well enough or played nicely with tablets (esp. Apple's). I believe we'll see a retrenchment of this market with much slower growth overall.

Keep in mind that the most profitable segment of the photo market is selling someone their second camera.

04-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #230

I Agree, larger sensors would revive the compact market (too many years with the same old boring tiny sensors) this would allow them to seriously attack smart phones (they can't compete on sensor size)
As for Ricoh, whilst I'd love to remain upbeat, the reality is that they are fourth in a four horse race.

I just honestly think it's too late in the day for a big push, and that the market will be tough over the next few years.
We could blame Hoya for not moving things forward enough, just think the time has run out.
04-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
I Agree, larger sensors would revive the compact market (too many years with the same old boring tiny sensors) this would allow them to seriously attack smart phones (they can't compete on sensor size)
As for Ricoh, whilst I'd love to remain upbeat, the reality is that they are fourth in a four horse race.

I just honestly think it's too late in the day for a big push, and that the market will be tough over the next few years.
We could blame Hoya for not moving things forward enough, just think the time has run out.
Considering the compact market, I would like to see an X-5 successor with an APS-C sensor and with more reach (1200mm) as with Canon and the rest. Probably this would put Pentax at par with the others in the bridge camera category.
04-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #232
Veteran Member

Uh... a 1200mm equivalent would be a 800mm lens on an APS-C lens. It seems unlikely, and would have to be a package larger than the K-3+Bigma.

04-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #233
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Considering the compact market, I would like to see an X-5 successor with an APS-C sensor and with more reach (1200mm) as with Canon and the rest. Probably this would put Pentax at par with the others in the bridge camera category.
That would be super, I agree, but physically impossible.

The only reason those bridge and P+S cameras can achieve such large zoom ranges is due to the small size of the sensors in them.
04-26-2014, 01:18 AM   #234
Pentaxian

Okay, so I was wishing for the impossible. So how about a much better sensor making Pentax the leading bridge camera there is? It would really be a nice present for my wife.
04-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #235
Veteran Member

It seems like that is a low margin business to me. Dunno. I'm not sure of the volume.

In either case I'd guess that there's not going to be another Pentax-branded bridge camera - wouldn't that be a Ricoh?
04-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #236
Pentaxian

Okay, so I was wishing for the impossible. So how about a much better sensor making Pentax the leading bridge camera there is? It would really be a nice present for my wife.
Just imagine what the price would be.
The Sony RX10 with 1" sensor is quite expensive, and large and heavy. Using APS-C sensor on a bridge camera would probably make it like a K5 with a DA* 50-135 mm lens attached.

ILC has a big advantage when using large sensors, as you don't always have to lug around with a very big heavy lens.
04-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #237
Pentaxian

It seems like that is a low margin business to me. Dunno. I'm not sure of the volume.

In either case I'd guess that there's not going to be another Pentax-branded bridge camera - wouldn't that be a Ricoh?
Yes, I believe they said that's what they said. Non-interchangeable lens cameras will be under Ricoh. But who knows. As to profitability, I'm not sure if it shares a big slice of the pie. But one thing I know, a lot of people who want an all in one camera buy the bridge cameras here.
04-29-2014, 12:48 AM   #238

Yes, I believe they said that's what they said. Non-interchangeable lens cameras will be under Ricoh. But who knows. As to profitability, I'm not sure if it shares a big slice of the pie. But one thing I know, a lot of people who want an all in one camera buy the bridge cameras here.

No real room for Pentax, Canon, NIkon, Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus lots of bridge models
You can even buy the X-S1 for a steal right now (it's flawed but surprisingly good) RX10 is too expensive

I don't see how Pentax can compete here, unless they really did something special
05-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
No real room for Pentax, Canon, NIkon, Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus lots of bridge models
You can even buy the X-S1 for a steal right now (it's flawed but surprisingly good) RX10 is too expensive

I don't see how Pentax can compete here, unless they really did something special
It's ALL about the glass. The Box is nominal....
05-17-2014, 03:42 AM   #240
Banned

Original Poster
Sony

A news update from son. They hat a fall in sales off 32 % over the past year and expecting this fall in sales over the coming year to the same level with a decrease of another 30 %. So the bottom is not yet reached for the camera bussiness.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news/540627/sony-camera-sales-fall-by-a-third

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 05-17-2014 at 03:09 PM.