Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2014, 03:46 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh GR Firmware V3.00

Latest GR Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

02-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #2

I've never seen this product in person. Does it actually exist?
02-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oooh oooh! Thank you!
02-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinE Quote
I've never seen this product in person. Does it actually exist?
Sure it does. Ricoh isn't a mainstream camera brand but the latest GR has received universal acclaim for its pocketability and DSLR-grade image quality.

Ricoh GR vs. Nikon Coolpix A Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sure it does. Ricoh isn't a mainstream camera brand but the latest GR has received universal acclaim for its pocketability and DSLR-grade image quality.

Ricoh GR vs. Nikon Coolpix A Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Testify!
02-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Testify!
I think the closest analogy would be a pocketable K-5 IIs with a 18mm prime lens on it.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the closest analogy would be a pocketable K-5 IIs with a 18mm prime lens on it.
Agreed. The closest camera I've ever handled to a pint-sized DSLR in terms of both handling and IQ. I think you mean 28mm prime lens though.

02-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Agreed. The closest camera I've ever handled to a pint-sized DSLR in terms of both handling and IQ. I think you mean 28mm prime lens though.
No, it's actually an 18mm focal length. 28mm equivalent on full-frame. That's why some people are saying it's a tad on the wide side for an everyday shooter.

Adam

02-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ah yes - you're right. I'll never be able to think outside 35mm equivalents.
02-25-2014, 02:43 AM   #10
Banned

Now, the GR is not as half as popular in the West as it would have been with a 35mm lens on it. Or even a 50mm one.
Ricoh is, hopefully, slowly crawling out of its ancient worldview and will deliver GRs for the world markets.
02-25-2014, 06:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
IMO they will... soon.
02-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Now, the GR is not as half as popular in the West as it would have been with a 35mm lens on it. Or even a 50mm one.
Ricoh is, hopefully, slowly crawling out of its ancient worldview and will deliver GRs for the world markets.
I wouldn't count on it...their GRDs were 28mm equiv as well.
02-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Exactly... I prefer the 28mm. I've the 21mm adapter for occasional wide shots, and there are 35mm & 47mm crop modes (which I've setup for a single button press) if I really want to frame it smaller. Sure, it is not *true 35 or 47, but I prefer it this way. Other than the slightly slow AF in lowlight compared to the older GRD models, this is my perfect pocket cam. In most ways each GR gets better and I really don't see them abandoning this formula after roughly 30 years of success.
My biggest wish right now is that the next iteration would match the AF speed of the past models. The firmware update from October certainly helped quite a bit but it's still an occasional frustration in very lowlight.

---------- Post added 02-28-14 at 02:23 PM ----------

All that said, if they released a comparable model that was a fast 50mm variety, I'd snatch it up in a moment.
02-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
GR is a Japanese-only cult camera. Nothing more than that. That is why, to brand ‘purists’, the GR is 28mm, or, the traditional Japanese normal wide-angle. That is not western wide normal FoV, which is 35mm.

If Ricoh tried to understand the western market, there would be Ricoh GR35, or Ricoh GR40+ (GR50). No doubt about it. But even today, in the USA, Ricoh is ICON series of copiers. A company with a strict Japanese aesthetics and worldview, with only a coulisse in front of them in things that matter to them (copiers). In camera business, they stick to their traditionalist comfort zone. Total foreign camera market share for Ricoh and Pentax together is puny 8%.

Infusion of fresh thinking and B2C thinking outside its comfort zone is what Ricoh needs desperately, if they want to entice customers around the globe to talk about them.

So if they want any lasting success with its GR beyond one niche, the GR it must become 35mm, it must become 50mm. What they do now through image cropping inside firmware is a joke .. but at least one that is, hopefully, readying them for real commitment.

The GR is advertised as 'Be your eyes'. The current GR is the eyesight of the traditional Japanese photography approach. That is why it is 28mm. That is why it only crops to 35mm allowing for a much smaller file. That is the level of politeness western users are greeted with.

On the other hand, even today, Leica’s most appreciated lenses in constant demand are 35mm and 50mm, both Luxes and Crons, and what to speak of Summarites. They can’t make enough of them! Why new Fuji's 35mm lens gets so many appraisals even before it's available to buy? And one compact camera that is almost constantly on DPR’s top list of cameras is Fuji X100s (before it X100) with its splendid 35mm/f2 lens. That camera when first introduced was so half-baked it barely took photos. But the lens and styling appeal stole people's hearts in the West and it sold in hundreds of thousands. Is that a coincidence, that even a faulty product is cheered for and yet one that is nearly perfect (the GR) is still a niche?

Because the GR with its 28mm lens is nowhere to be seen. Recommended yes, but mostly in the alleys of Shinjuku, among shelves and people who already know everything about it.

Last edited by Uluru; 02-28-2014 at 07:17 PM.
03-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
GR is a Japanese-only cult camera. Nothing more than that. That is why, to brand ‘purists’, the GR is 28mm, or, the traditional Japanese normal wide-angle. That is not western wide normal FoV, which is 35mm.

If Ricoh tried to understand the western market, there would be Ricoh GR35, or Ricoh GR40+ (GR50). No doubt about it. But even today, in the USA, Ricoh is ICON series of copiers. A company with a strict Japanese aesthetics and worldview, with only a coulisse in front of them in things that matter to them (copiers). In camera business, they stick to their traditionalist comfort zone. Total foreign camera market share for Ricoh and Pentax together is puny 8%.

Infusion of fresh thinking and B2C thinking outside its comfort zone is what Ricoh needs desperately, if they want to entice customers around the globe to talk about them.

So if they want any lasting success with its GR beyond one niche, the GR it must become 35mm, it must become 50mm. What they do now through image cropping inside firmware is a joke .. but at least one that is, hopefully, readying them for real commitment.

The GR is advertised as 'Be your eyes'. The current GR is the eyesight of the traditional Japanese photography approach. That is why it is 28mm. That is why it only crops to 35mm allowing for a much smaller file. That is the level of politeness western users are greeted with.

On the other hand, even today, Leica’s most appreciated lenses in constant demand are 35mm and 50mm, both Luxes and Crons, and what to speak of Summarites. They can’t make enough of them! Why new Fuji's 35mm lens gets so many appraisals even before it's available to buy? And one compact camera that is almost constantly on DPR’s top list of cameras is Fuji X100s (before it X100) with its splendid 35mm/f2 lens. That camera when first introduced was so half-baked it barely took photos. But the lens and styling appeal stole people's hearts in the West and it sold in hundreds of thousands. Is that a coincidence, that even a faulty product is cheered for and yet one that is nearly perfect (the GR) is still a niche?

Because the GR with its 28mm lens is nowhere to be seen. Recommended yes, but mostly in the alleys of Shinjuku, among shelves and people who already know everything about it.
so... westerners have a narrower perspective?