Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #271
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
Plastics is not a bad thing in itself. Good quality plastics have multiple advantages.
1. Lighter
2. Elasticity
3. Harder to distort the shape by skewing and bending force.
4. Can be made less temperature resistant.
5. Can be made with dampening effects
6. Fat plastics have a "constantly lubricated" surface
7. Easier to machine to tolerances
8. Provides a safe breakage zone. I would rather have mount screws ripped out than a distorted metal frame.
Etc.

03-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #272
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 2,951
Indeed, plus plastic gives FF/BF monitoring functions all their usefullness
03-26-2014, 01:58 AM   #273
Veteran Member
froeschle's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 552
Plastic
http://www.jrcompton.com/photos/d7000pix/mild_CU_of_D7000_lens_mount-P1430092.jpg
http://image2.xitek.com/forum/200606/331/33151/33151_1149783012.jpg

vs.

Metal
http://www.iphotonews.com/images/blog/1dm2_damage_002.JPG

What is probably more expensive to repair?
Maybe the mount sometimes is even planned as a predetermined breaking point.
03-26-2014, 02:57 AM   #274
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norway
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 385
QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
What is probably more expensive to repair?
Maybe the mount sometimes is even planned as a predetermined breaking point.
If your camera hits the floor and the mount is ripped of, it is not going to be repaired. The mirror box is expensive and time consuming to replace. I got some cameras from Pentax for next to nothing where the mount had been ripped of the camera. I fixed them by carefully repairing the threads in the plastic mirror box and usually by buying a new brass mount, but Pentax does not repair cameras with epoxy, glue and drilling. They end up as trash.

03-26-2014, 05:15 AM   #275
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 2,951
I wonder if Leica, which processing standards are said to be with a minimum 0,1Ám tolerance on sensor/mount positionning, uses also those plastic locking artifices.
03-26-2014, 05:24 AM   #276
Site Supporter
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,090
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I wonder if Leica, which processing standards are said to be with a minimum 0,1Ám tolerance on sensor/mount positionning, uses also those plastic locking artifices
A Leica M9 also costs five times as much as a K3. I know which I prefer.
03-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #277
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,197
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
A Leica M9 also costs five times as much as a K3. I know which I prefer.
I know this is sacrelige...but i prefer SLR/DSLRs to rangefinder cameras anyday of the week. They are much more flexible.
If i was solely a street shooter, maybe then I would choose the Leica.
03-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #278
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
They end up as trash.
They are recycled. Electronics goes to recycle bin, chassis too. But good optical parts inside the chassis are treated with more dignity: pentaprism is taken out, and all the optical parts of the viewfinder, which will host another new camera.

03-26-2014, 11:45 PM   #279
Site Supporter
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,090
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
but i prefer SLR/DSLRs to rangefinder cameras anyday of the week
Me too: they are much more suitable for my needs.
03-28-2014, 05:41 AM   #280
Forum Member
liquid0's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 51
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Plastics is not a bad thing in itself. Good quality plastics have multiple advantages.
1. Lighter
2. Elasticity
3. Harder to distort the shape by skewing and bending force.
4. Can be made less temperature resistant.
5. Can be made with dampening effects
6. Fat plastics have a "constantly lubricated" surface
7. Easier to machine to tolerances
8. Provides a safe breakage zone. I would rather have mount screws ripped out than a distorted metal frame.
Etc.

Plastic is also cheaper which should lower the price, right!!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
1.4x, cameras, da, film, film cameras, forum, full-frame, hd, lenses, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, teleconverter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vivitar 1.4x Teleconverter for Pentax k30? iittoo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 14 12-27-2013 12:55 PM
Wanted - Acquired: Sigma APO Teleconverter 1.4x EX DG for Pentax Mount iittoo Sold Items 2 05-11-2013 06:44 PM
For Sale - Sold: Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter for Pentax stormtech Sold Items 2 01-24-2013 10:19 AM
For Sale - Sold: Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter for Pentax dgaies Sold Items 5 02-24-2012 01:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top