Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That's not my experience, so clearly the camera can't be the issue. I have a series of a large dog running at top speed toward me, 16 photos with the K-3 and 18-135mm at 135mm, 1/1000s, f/5.6. Sixteen shots in a row, most are sharp. I think all would have been with a faster shutter speed. The last one, the face is out of the frame. The camera focussed on the dog's tail, and it is sharp.

I tried to post the whole series on Picasa, but there is no more Picasa. It is not Google+, and they automatically "enhance" my photos. The enhancement messed with white balance and exposure so badly that I couldn't stand to look at it and deleted them. Here are a couple from the series. I didn't post the last one because like I said the dog's face was past me.
Each lens is a bit different. I was impressed with the results because if you calculate the timing, between pressing the button and the exposure happening the dog will move more than the dof of the lens. There are very few situations where I find the focus to be inadequate, and close in with a busy scene, where a slight pan either way brings something else into focus that may entail 1/3 or more of the focus throw, a lightning fast focus mechanism would be nice.

In google+ , in settings, you can turn off the auto enhancement.

Here is a link to my shots of the dog.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241586-my-k-3-af-experienc...ml#post2582837

And some calculations
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241586-my-k-3-af-experienc...ml#post2584105

01-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would find it hard to believe that someone would take the trouble to fake this image. Pentax has limited market share and the sort of people who would buy this product is probably even smaller. It's not like this is an announcement for a major PS4 game or something... People who fake images like this are going for the "OMG the internet will explode!" reaction and there's just not the audience for that here.
01-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #93
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I would find it hard to believe that someone would take the trouble to fake this image. Pentax has limited market share and the sort of people who would buy this product is probably even smaller. It's not like this is an announcement for a major PS4 game or something... People who fake images like this are going for the "OMG the internet will explode!" reaction and there's just not the audience for that here.
There's actually plenty of faked Pentax photos around.

Heck,even an April Fool's day joke here made the rounds as a 'real' camera pic.
01-27-2014, 12:53 AM   #94
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Someone in another thread has posted a picture of what looks to be the long awaited 1.4x teleconverter. It appears to have screw drive and SDM contacts. It also has the AW designation.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/236075-tele...ml#post2661032

It looks like a legitimate PR shot to me.
It seems to make perfect sense if they intend to announce a FF soon. It will allow to use most of the APSC lenses on the FF body without any focal conversion (almost) 1.4/1.5=93.3%. So no need for them to invest into a full new set of lenses (although I am sure they will announce also 2/3 new FA lenses) to avoid to deter current body owners

01-27-2014, 12:56 AM   #95
Pentaxian

I don't think that is its purpose - but that of a classic teleconverter, to make long lenses longer
01-27-2014, 01:38 AM   #96
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't think that is its purpose - but that of a classic teleconverter, to make long lenses longer
One can dream a bit... I don't really see the purpose of the teleconverter however for APSC sensor cameras as you already have the 1.5x multiplication factor due to the size of the sensor and you lose one stop, but we'll see... The previous one that Pentax developed was for FF (film) cameras, therefore my remark
01-27-2014, 02:36 AM   #97
Pentaxian

I plan to use it on my 60-250
01-27-2014, 02:38 AM   #98
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
...uh, yeah, that's why I wrote that sentence.
In that case why do you persist in your criticism of Pentax's AF?

01-27-2014, 04:44 AM   #99
Pentaxian

To continue muddling the mixture,

Could it be a speed booster?

:sly:

01-27-2014, 04:50 AM   #100
Pentaxian

It's actually a beer dispenser adapter; on it you won't mount a lens, but a small K-mount keg. It will only work with the soon to be announced K-3b(eer) Special Edition.

Come on, its designation and purpose are clearly specified. It makes no sense to speculate about functionality which is different and - in the post above mine - the complete opposite of what a 1.4x rear converter is supposed to do.
01-27-2014, 05:25 AM   #101

wait until the 13th of febuary, go through CP+ then have to wait a month or 2 for it to hit the shelves. In any case they did say first quarter 2014 for the TC, read it somewhere, i think...
can't wait to slap it on my K30 or a K3 and see what's what
01-27-2014, 05:35 AM   #102
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cyril_K5 Quote
One can dream a bit... I don't really see the purpose of the teleconverter however for APSC sensor cameras as you already have the 1.5x multiplication factor due to the size of the sensor and you lose one stop, but we'll see... The previous one that Pentax developed was for FF (film) cameras, therefore my remark
The point is to have extra range, like using a 2X TC instead of 1.4X. A DA*300 will be 420mm f5.6 (630mm f8 equivalent) with the convertor, and sharp enough to provide pixel level crops. With a K-3 and the TC, the reach of my system will get a huge boost, and I can get better magnification on close-ups.
01-27-2014, 05:40 AM   #103
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Katmandude Quote
LOL, what a joke, months before they annouce the bloody TC, you can't find a new one , all the stocks are "depleted". The only ones you get are from japan , 2nd hand @ 300 bucks a pop... AND NOW THIS:
Kenko Teleplus DG 1.4X MC Teleconverter - Pentax Fit - Only 109.00 - SRS Microsystems
The lower price is because there are no PZ contacts.
01-27-2014, 05:48 AM   #104

not taklking about the price, it's availability! all of a sudden you can find them, 3 months ago, nada. And trust me , I looked EVERYWHERE. one of my collegues found one second hand, a fellow pentaxian sold his because he was switching to nikon.
01-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem with previous TC with SDM contacts is that the AF is rendered inconsistent.
This unit looks exactly like the Kenko/Tamron units so I hope they have done something to it to improve AF reliability otherwise it will be useless.
I look forward to tests and reviews before I buy.
Pentax surprised me with the engineering in the K-Q adapter so I remain hopeful.