Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #106
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,406
From what I see it's not "exactly like the Kenko/Tamron"; but only similar. Which is most likely a coincidence.

01-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #107
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,431
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The problem with previous TC with SDM contacts is that the AF is rendered inconsistent.
This unit looks exactly like the Kenko/Tamron units so I hope they have done something to it to improve AF reliability otherwise it will be useless.
I look forward to tests and reviews before I buy.
Pentax surprised me with the engineering in the K-Q adapter so I remain hopeful.
I see the locking pin on the Kenko (next to the release lever) but not the screw drive post.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-27-2014 at 11:56 AM.
01-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,931
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
From what I see it's not "exactly like the Kenko/Tamron"; but only similar. Which is most likely a coincidence.
I agree. A 1.4x TC is going to be a particular size. As for the Kenko, it is only happenstance that it actually worked at all with SDM, since SDM didn't exist when it was created. Power zoom contacts are the same, but focusing is quite a bit different.

I would expect focusing to be better with this than with the kenko, although we'll find out in the end.

Edit: I guess I should say that I would expect a firmware update along with the TC to make sure the two play nicely together. Certainly the TC will communicate its presence to the body and there will be some sort of adjustment made, both from an SR standpoint and a focus standpoint.

Last edited by Rondec; 01-27-2014 at 11:53 AM.
01-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #109
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,159
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Edit: I guess I should say that I would expect a firmware update along with the TC to make sure the two play nicely together. Certainly the TC will communicate its presence to the body and there will be some sort of adjustment made, both from an SR standpoint and a focus standpoint.
I agree and that means older bodies will be f... hum... left over

01-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,931
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I agree and that means older bodies will be f... hum... left over
I would expect the update to go back a little ways. Five years at least. I doubt many folks shooting a *ist D would be looking at this TC anyway -- it would cost more than their camera is worth.
01-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #111
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,431
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would expect the update to go back a little ways. Five years at least. I doubt many folks shooting a *ist D would be looking at this TC anyway -- it would cost more than their camera is worth.
I wonder if the K10D can support it with FW 1.03 (SDM support)?
01-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,931
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wonder if the K10D can support it with FW 1.03 (SDM support)?
I don't know. It would seem like if you are desperate to use this TC, it would make sense to use it with a higher pixel camera anyway. K5s are going for, what, 400 dollars?

I do know that Pentax released a firmware update to the *ist D in 2009 that allowed for SDHC larger capacity memory cards, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did go back to the K10.
01-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #113
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,159
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would expect the update to go back a little ways. Five years at least. I doubt many folks shooting a *ist D would be looking at this TC anyway -- it would cost more than their camera is worth.
No more no less than the flash update firmware recently.
So, no love for old bodies.

01-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #114
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,431
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know. It would seem like if you are desperate to use this TC, it would make sense to use it with a higher pixel camera anyway. K5s are going for, what, 400 dollars?

I do know that Pentax released a firmware update to the *ist D in 2009 that allowed for SDHC larger capacity memory cards, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did go back to the K10.
My question was more a curiosity. I certainly have more than enough new gear that I never use for anything.

For what I bet this TC costs there might be more than a few people who want to use it with an older but working body, though.
01-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #115
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,112
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wonder if the K10D can support it with FW 1.03 (SDM support)?
My K200D works good with DA20-40 DC. But the resolution is not as good as at K-5IIs.

Last edited by ogl; 01-27-2014 at 08:21 PM.
01-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #116
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,969
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
My K200D works good with DA20-40 DC. But the resolution is not as good as at K-5IIs.
??
What is that have to do with the TC being discussed?

JP
01-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #117
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,795
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
From what I see it's not "exactly like the Kenko/Tamron"; but only similar. Which is most likely a coincidence.
I am basing my comment in the fact that the release lever looks very much like those old TCs.
Im thinking possibly a rebranded Kenko/Tamron design is being used. See
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa356/tom1803/eBay_2013_02/20130213_Kenk...Q_overall1.jpg


The K-Q adapter uses a flat plate style release lever which looks like no other adapter's release lever. See
http://rcdn.photographyreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/pentax-Q-adapt_side.jpg
01-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #118
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,737
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I am basing my comment in the fact that the release lever looks very much like those old TCs.
Im thinking possibly a rebranded Kenko/Tamron design is being used. See
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa356/tom1803/eBay_2013_02/20130213_Kenk...Q_overall1.jpg
Pentax have used this design on release lever on their K-mount TCs, so I don't think it says very much of the origin of the design.
F 1.7X AF
01-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #119
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,795
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Pentax have used this design on release lever on their K-mount TCs, so I don't think it says very much of the origin of the design.
F 1.7X AF
Good point. I also notice the Kenko has the registration dot on the side where Pentax puts it on the mount face.
01-28-2014, 12:25 AM   #120
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,406
Indeed, this kind of release lever was used by Pentax in the past; and there are many differences between the 1.4x RC image and the Kenko/Tamron. Outer barrel, components inside the barrel... I'm not sure, but the optical elements could have a different size, too.
They're similar, but not identical.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
1.4x, cameras, da, film, film cameras, forum, full-frame, hd, lenses, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, teleconverter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vivitar 1.4x Teleconverter for Pentax k30? iittoo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 14 12-27-2013 12:55 PM
Wanted - Acquired: Sigma APO Teleconverter 1.4x EX DG for Pentax Mount iittoo Sold Items 2 05-11-2013 06:44 PM
For Sale - Sold: Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter for Pentax stormtech Sold Items 2 01-24-2013 10:19 AM
For Sale - Sold: Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter for Pentax dgaies Sold Items 5 02-24-2012 01:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:02 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top