Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #346

QuoteOriginally posted by odyseuss Quote
While the net is overwhelmed by Fujifilm's X-T1 release, someone on China's xitek.com posted these two Pentax rumors:

1) Ricoh Pentax K-60 (credibility: 37%)
24MP APS-C CMOS sensor without LPF
11 AF points, three of which support -3EV AF capability
29K-pixel RGB metering
100K shutter lifecycle
PRIME III processor (Same as K-3)
100% pentaprism optical view finder
Light-weight and weather-sealed design
Body available in multiple colors
Support NFC and Wifi
MSRP: USD$699.00
Original post: 2014 CP+,Ricoh Pentax K-60

2) HD Pentax-DA135-380mm f/4-5.6 ED [IF] DC WR (credibility: 65%)
Original post: 2014 CP+,HD Pentax-DA135-380mm f/4-5.6 ED [IF] DC WR

3) HD Pentax-DA18-70mm f/2.8-4.5 AL [IF] DC WR (credibility: 51%)
Original post: 2014 CP+,HD Pentax-DA18-70mm f/2.8-4.5 AL [IF] DC WR

The guy posted the rumors claimed that these came from some pentax rumors website, but as fas as I know no such rumors exist
yet on the net. Given the fact that K-50 is barely one-year old (released in 6/12/2013, according to dpreview.com), I don't think these
are plausible rumors though.
First see , I think , I will get Pentax K-60
24MP APS-C CMOS sensor without LPF
11 AF points, three of which support -3EV AF capability.
To replace my K-30 16 MP 0 EV AF , which lower price than K-3.
I will wait.

02-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #347
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What is the benefit of a "film duplicator" vs a scanner.
02-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #348

the Pentax K-60 looks promising, it's also nice to read Pentax and not Ricoh
02-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #349
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
What is the benefit of a "film duplicator" vs a scanner.
It is going to use an existing DSLR and a dedicated flash unit, so it should cost less than a good film scanner. It will also do MF which most dedicated film scanners don't. I guess we'll find out more On the 13th.

02-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #350
Pentaxian

A good 35mm scanner will set you back 300 to 500 euro's MF is another story. More like 1500 euro's.
02-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #351
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The production of CCD sensors for medium format photography cameras is totally marginal within Truesense Imaging.
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I'd like figures, as this assessment of you just contradicts what their internet page mentions
How so?

Two press releases are emphasised on their front page CCD and CMOS Image Sensors | Image Sensor Technology - Truesense Imaging, Inc.? None of them is about sensors for medium format photography cameras.

1. New 6 Megapixel CMOS Image Sensor from Truesense Imaging Targets High Performance Imaging Applications

"The KAC-06040 Image Sensor is a 6 megapixel1 inch optical format device that provides 10-bit full resolution output at up to 160 fps. It joins the 12 megapixel KAC-12040 Image Sensor as the latest member of the TRUESENSE 4.7 micron CMOS Image Sensor Family, a platform that provides both global and rolling shutter for versatile image capture, very high frame rate, and excellent near-IR sensitivity – features required by a growing set of applied imaging applications such as machine vision, intelligent transportation systems, and surveillance."

2. New CMOS and CCD Image Sensors from Truesense Imaging Target High Performance Imaging Applications

"The 12 megapixel (4000 x 3000) KAC-12040 Image Sensor is the first in a planned family of CMOS devices that combine high image quality under both global and rolling shutter operation with very high frame rate, flexible readout modes for accessing multiple regions of interest, and excellent near-IR sensitivity – features becoming vital in a variety of machine vision, intelligent transportation systems, and surveillance applications."

They present their products according to four product lines. Again, sensors for medium format photography cameras are nowhere to be seen.

1. Interline Transfer CCD

"With an integrated electronic shutter, Interline CCD image sensors provide real time imaging in applications where a mechanical shutter or strobe illumination is either not required or desired. With progressive scan readouts, they are particularly well suited for machine vision, microscopy, fluoroscopy, and other applications that demand high imaging performance."

2. Full Frame CCD

"From the intricacies of microscopy to the far reaches of astronomy, Truesense Imaging Full Frame CCD image sensors deliver high performance results. With high quantum efficiency across the entire visible spectrum, these sensors are ideal for demanding imaging applications that can accommodate a mechanical shutter or strobe illumination, such as electronic still photography, medical X-ray, and inspection."

3. Linear CCD

"Truesense Imaging Linear CCD image sensors combine high resolution with high dynamic range, making them appropriate for use in applications such as flatbed scanners, high-speed document scanners and copiers, machine vision cameras, and satellite imaging."

4. CMOS

"With high speed programmable read-out, CMOS image sensors complement Interline Transfer CCD products by offering a broader product portfolio to meet a wider range of customer requirements. The flexible read-out architecture provided by CMOS is well suited for machine vision, intelligent transportation systems and surveillance, and other applications that demand high functionality while delivering excellent image quality."

Besides, do you seriously think that a high-tech product line -sensors for medium format photography cameras- could be anything but marginal within a company when the latest news from said product line go back to September 2008, 5 1/2 years ago?
02-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #352
Site Supporter

Okay, didn't read all this, and thanks for abstracts.
Now we know 3 new MF models have shifted with CMOS sensors, so indeed CCD has probably left their shelves.
02-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #353
Pentaxian

Medium format cameras & backs makers faced until now a severe issue: they could only source sensors from two entities that have changed hands (kodak Imaging and Sensors Solutions bought by a private equity fund and Dalsa taken over by Teledyne) and shifted priorities according to their new owner's strategy.

Sony's recent involvement in medium format sensors is a game changer for them as it offers the opportunity to medium format cameras to reaffirm their supremacy over highly-pixelized 24x36 cameras.

At the same time, the close cooperation between Sony and Hasselblad in the field of cameras is a threat for Phase One (less so for Ricoh, their product is different), hence the rumoured discussions between Phase One and Canon.

02-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #354
Forum Member

135-380mm

I agree with the previous poster that the 135-380mm will be a mate to the current 18-135mm. I also expect that the IQ will be similar, i.e. better keep the subject in the center of the frame.

I really hope that the 18-70 has decent performance across the frame. I could really use a WR lens that doesn't make me wish I had changed to one of my DA limiteds, and isn't the size and weight of the DA*s.
02-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #355
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ddbarchitect Quote
I agree with the previous poster that the 135-380mm will be a mate to the current 18-135mm. I also expect that the IQ will be similar, i.e. better keep the subject in the center of the frame..
Don't jump to conclusion. It is good match to the 50-135 as well. But most of all it is good lens for those who want the focal lenghts from 135mm to 380mm in one lens
02-07-2014, 04:09 AM   #356

I agree with the previous poster that the 135-380mm will be a mate to the current 18-135mm. I also expect that the IQ will be similar, i.e. better keep the subject in the center of the frame.

I really hope that the 18-70 has decent performance across the frame. I could really use a WR lens that doesn't make me wish I had changed to one of my DA limiteds, and isn't the size and weight of the DA*s.
I'm wishing that too, thinking on getting the 18-135, but a 18-70 may be optically superior and better for my case, so better wait
02-07-2014, 05:15 AM   #357
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Medium format cameras & backs makers faced until now a severe issue: they could only source sensors from two entities that have changed hands (kodak Imaging and Sensors Solutions bought by a private equity fund and Dalsa taken over by Teledyne) and shifted priorities according to their new owner's strategy.

Sony's recent involvement in medium format sensors is a game changer for them as it offers the opportunity to medium format cameras to reaffirm their supremacy over highly-pixelized 24x36 cameras.

At the same time, the close cooperation between Sony and Hasselblad in the field of cameras is a threat for Phase One (less so for Ricoh, their product is different), hence the rumoured discussions between Phase One and Canon.
On the other hand, the new CMOS 645D makes Ricoh more dependant from Sony, which no-one can say is a good thing... for Ricoh : actually nowadays they are 100% Sony dependant on sensors... an other strategic "mistake", or to the least "risk".

+ I am sure that instead of lowering the selling price, it will grow up compared to former 645D's launch price...

let's hope this will be for the good Ricoh's gross margin sake.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 02-07-2014 at 05:20 AM.
02-07-2014, 06:08 AM   #358
Pentaxian

^^There is always Toshiba to go to. Samsung is also getting better. Maybe their next gen chips will be as good as the Sony's.
02-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #359
Site Supporter

Pentax offering a 135-380mm lens makes sense but it had better be good and offered at a competitive price because Sigma already offers two very nice lenses (120-400mm f4.5 to 5.6 and 150-500mm f5 to 6.3). Being water resistant simply isn't enough to overcome the extra reach offered by Sigma for under $1,000. I'm hopeful but I'm taking a wait and see attitude.
02-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #360
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Pentax offering a 135-380mm lens makes sense but it had better be good and offered at a competitive price because Sigma already offers two very nice lenses (120-400mm f4.5 to 5.6 and 150-500mm f5 to 6.3). Being water resistant simply isn't enough to overcome the extra reach offered by Sigma for under $1,000. I'm hopeful but I'm taking a wait and see attitude.
Nikon offers a 80-400/4-5,6 that costs 2400 euros, why Pentax should sell his own for less? Pentax is not a third party firm like Sigma.