Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #451
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a deal. Let's all chip in a get a Sigma 300~500 f2.8 with matched doubler, for me.

03-16-2014, 07:55 PM   #452
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Olympus is planning to release a 300mm f4 lens next year.
which will probably be a great lens,but since I switched from 4/3 to Pentax,can't imagine going back to the smaller sensor,though for birding def. good enough.The DA*300 +1.4 TC is 630 effective FL or 765 with the 1.7 TC,both over the Oly lens,and the lost F stop is made up by better High ISO/DR
03-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #453
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The Nikon and Canon are both listed on the Henry's website at $9,799 and $1,600 on sale. The Pentax isn't on sale. And I agree it doesn't have to be cheaper, but being only 60mm longer and ƒ4.5 compared to ƒ5.6, it has to be at least the same price.
A more apt comparison is with the Sony 500mm f4 lens, which retails for $12,999. When you have a small user base for your mount, you will not be able to market exotic lenses at competitive prices, particularly with 3rd party lens maker like Sigma, whose lenses tend to be less expensive across the board.
03-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #454
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
That's why I wrote "designated".
None of the FF capable lenses are so why would they have done it with this lens ?

Also, in Pentax mind (no, I don't agree) you can charge as much as related to the FOV of the lenses.
Which means: the 560/5,6 covers the FOV of 840 on an FF. So they can price it against an hypothetical 850mm/5,6.

It sucks, I know...

03-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #455
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
None of the FF capable lenses are so why would they have done it with this lens ?
Not strictly true... though, right?

DFA 100mm F/2.8
DFA 50mm F/2.8

FA 35
FA 50
FA... etc

Rumor is that the FA's are discontinued now, though...
03-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #456
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Rumor is that the FA's are discontinued now, though...
I think this rumour has existed for the past 5 years. And yet, here they are.
03-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #457
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think this rumour has existed for the past 5 years. And yet, here they are.
I've never seen it before from reliable sources. I've also never seen Pentax product photos with the FA's (mostly) mysteriously missing before.

If they're gone I think it's temporary, for a revamp. But I'd probably bet a small amount of money that in a year they'll be redesignated at a minimum.

03-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #458
Veteran Member

I've also never seen Pentax product photos with the FA's (mostly) mysteriously missing before.
They were often missing from brochures or lens roadmaps, which freaked out half the forum.
Honestly, I don't think Pentax can afford to drop the FA limiteds. They are a big pull to this brand
03-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #459
Veteran Member

They were often missing from brochures or lens roadmaps, which freaked out half the forum.
Honestly, I don't think Pentax can afford to drop the FA limiteds. They are a big pull to this brand

Yuppers. If I was in charge of Pentax, they'd probably lose the aperture ring (the horror!) gain WR and QS, and be re-released as DFA's.
03-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #460
Banned

Like Apple who killed iPod Mini, at the time the most popular and best selling iPod?
90% of Pentax users have never seen FA limiteds in real life (tell me name of a dealer outside of Japan who has them in store, on a shelf and ready to be examined), and 99% of them will never buy one. In poor circumstances of today's photo retail business, and even more tragic Pentax's place within it, buying them asks for an incredible leap of faith and intimate (nerdy) knowledge of the brand.
If a production of the FA limiteds ceased 2.5 years ago and they are still available and desperately tried to be sold through different online incentives and deals, then their status is overrated in today's circumstances and they'd better get rid of them.

Last edited by Uluru; 03-17-2014 at 03:02 PM.
03-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #461
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote

Also, in Pentax mind (no, I don't agree) you can charge as much as related to the FOV of the lenses.
Which means: the 560/5,6 covers the FOV of 840 on an FF. So they can price it against an hypothetical 850mm/5,6.

It sucks, I know...
Just to clarify, Pentax/Ricoh have never said (that I know of) the DA 560 is compatible with a FF sensor. Might it be? Perhaps, as has been briefly mentioned in this thread but I don't think it makes sense just to assume it is. By contrast, Canon and Nikon have declared the telephoto lenses mentioned here earlier are FF compatible. This is why I thought the apples-to-apples comparison between the DA 560 and those other lenses was a stretch.
03-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #462
Pentaxian

Yuppers. If I was in charge of Pentax, they'd probably lose the aperture ring (the horror!) gain WR and QS, and be re-released as DFA's.
Are you in the running? I'd vote for you on that platform. Slap some HD on them too while you're at it.
03-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #463
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Are you in the running? I'd vote for you on that platform. Slap some HD on them too while you're at it.
Consider it a campaign promise. I'll also change the HD name. And free full-frame (FFF) for everybody!
03-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #464
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In my opinion, if there is one kind of product that has allowed Pentax to survive over the last ten years, it's their Limited series of lenses. It's been their main differentiator and I think they know that, because they just updated the whole DA line and added to it. The FA Limiteds are often to be found displayed in special glass case, along with the product design award they won, in the Pentax Forum showroom in Tokyo, so I think they are a point of pride for the company. If they do go out of production, they are sure to be replaced by something similar. But right now they are still widely available in Japan.
03-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #465
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
90% of Pentax users have never seen FA limiteds in real life (tell me name of a dealer outside of Japan who has them in store, on a shelf and ready to be examined), and 99% of them will never buy one.
In the Philippines there's Camerahaus (official distributor here) and at least four of their stores here in Metro Manila alone have stock/on shelf at least one of the FA Limiteds. The Robinson's Galleria branch in Ortigas has all three, as well as the Megamall branch last time I checked (a week or two ago)- and they're barely a kilometer apart.

But yeah I quite agree that many Pentax users can only aspire of getting an FA Limited, not because they can't afford it, but more on because they don't see it as a practical purchase choice (at that price, which we all know ain't cheap)