Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2014, 02:46 PM   #511
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We should keep in mind that some of the desired features of an overlaid OVF/EVF might not be practical if not impossible with a DSLR. Can you really get accurate blinkies and histogram without the readout from the imaging sensor?

03-31-2014, 05:16 PM   #512
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
We should keep in mind that some of the desired features of an overlaid OVF/EVF might not be practical if not impossible with a DSLR. Can you really get accurate blinkies and histogram without the readout from the imaging sensor?
I suspect the real issue might be the added cost and bulk getting a projection overlay somewhere near the prism.

The demand for OVF DSLR's might not require HUD at all if there are other systems where that is more applicable, such as a compact mirrorless offering within the same brand. Ricoh really needs something with a bigger sensor but greater flexibility, so the possibility of a GR with several added features looks best.
03-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #513
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I suspect the real issue might be the added cost and bulk getting a projection overlay somewhere near the prism.

The demand for OVF DSLR's might not require HUD at all if there are other systems where that is more applicable, such as a compact mirrorless offering within the same brand. Ricoh really needs something with a bigger sensor but greater flexibility, so the possibility of a GR with several added features looks best.
I was thinking of the issue from the standpoint that the truly useful information that can be overlaid likely comes from the image sensor itself. For example, you can't generate a histogram without the sensor readout. The problem for the DSLR is there's no scheme for the focused image to be directed to the EVF and the sensor at the same time. It's always one or the other.
03-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #514
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It would certainly cost more at first, but is it really that much of a change? Every OVF has a display in it anyway for the shooting parameters and the focus points. Replacing this with an EVF overlay seems to have some obvious benefits if it’s possible. The EVF would have to be bigger than the OVF frame so it would be able to provide information around the frame. The user could decide whether they want to see more information smaller, or less information bigger. Also the etched markings on the viewfinder screen could be overlaid, so that they could be changed or switched off.

For example, you can't generate a histogram without the sensor readout.
Wouldn't it be possible to display a histogram from the metering sensor that a DSLR needs anyway?

So far I've only mentioned features that would enhance DSLR operation. But the biggest benefit would be having a larger-than-APSC viewfinder for live view mode, with the possibility for magnification and peaking. The Fujifilm XT-1 has a large enough display that you can set it to show the whole view with a small magnified section next to it.

If I had such a camera, I really don’t know which view I would use the most, but I would love to be able to choose at the touch of a button. I don’t see any downside, aside from the initial cost, and it would be a real selling point for any manufacturer that can bring it to market first.

OMG! I just realised! You could even see your friends’ Facebook status updates right there in the viewfinder! Every photographer’s dream come true!

03-31-2014, 08:20 PM   #515
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It would certainly cost more at first, but is it really that much of a change? Every OVF has a display in it anyway for the shooting parameters and the focus points. Replacing this with an EVF overlay seems to have some obvious benefits if it’s possible. The EVF would have to be bigger than the OVF frame so it would be able to provide information around the frame. The user could decide whether they want to see more information smaller, or less information bigger. Also the etched markings on the viewfinder screen could be overlaid, so that they could be changed or switched off.

Wouldn't it be possible to display a histogram from the metering sensor that a DSLR needs anyway?

So far I've only mentioned features that would enhance DSLR operation. But the biggest benefit would be having a larger-than-APSC viewfinder for live view mode, with the possibility for magnification and peaking. The Fujifilm XT-1 has a large enough display that you can set it to show the whole view with a small magnified section next to it.

If I had such a camera, I really don’t know which view I would use the most, but I would love to be able to choose at the touch of a button. I don’t see any downside, aside from the initial cost, and it would be a real selling point for any manufacturer that can bring it to market first.

OMG! I just realised! You could even see your friends’ Facebook status updates right there in the viewfinder! Every photographer’s dream come true!
Yes, I thought about that some more and it might work for cameras with very high metering sensor counts (such as the K-3). I also doubt it will be nearly as accurate as the histograms we're used to from 16MP+ sensors. No way you can get a true "blinkie" warning of any real use from a metering sensor, though.
04-07-2014, 04:04 AM   #516

still waiting for news about the HD Pentax-DA18-70mm f/2.8-4.5 AL [IF] DC WR. This one could be a killer lens
04-07-2014, 04:57 AM   #517
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lokusart Quote
still waiting for news about the HD Pentax-DA18-70mm f/2.8-4.5 AL [IF] DC WR. This one could be a killer lens
so sigma 3 / c is faster and wider, there must be something much-much better because there is already DA17-70/4, which is very good (I use it already 3 years)

04-07-2014, 06:00 AM   #518

QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
so sigma 3 / c is faster and wider, there must be something much-much better because there is already DA17-70/4, which is very good (I use it already 3 years)
Hope you are right, let's wait to see. I've been hearing good things about the 17-70 you mentioned, maybe they will make it WR and 2.8-4 this time, sweet sweet