Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sgtsween Quote
The Pentax K-L sounds like what I have been waiting for, to be fair. That said, why would Pentax make it out of "plastic"?
Because it would allow a price which would actually permit to sell the camera, not Df nobody will buy but a few crazy ones.

01-28-2014, 11:35 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I'd like to see them introduce a 250-600mm zoom to pair with the 60-250mm

Michael
F*250-600/5.6 and FA*250-600/5.6 was listed for approx €15000 in Norway when they where sold new.

How many €15000 lenses do you think Pentax is able to sell now?
01-29-2014, 12:50 AM   #63

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Because it would allow a price which would actually permit to sell the camera, not Df nobody will buy but a few crazy ones.
But why compromise quality/durability for what couldn't be that great of a cost difference? Alloy chassis at least would be great.
01-29-2014, 01:02 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by odyseuss Quote
If KL is true, I just hope that RP won't make it a Pentax version of Nikon Df, which honestly speaking looks awful to me. (I'm sorry if you have a Df).
Until I see a beautiful k-mount retro camera I'm convinced that it has to be mirrorless to keep the bulkiness low.

01-29-2014, 01:05 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I totally agree. Pentax has gone over the clumsiness of manual dials long ago.

For example, Pentax TAv mode would be a nightmare to implement on a fully manual top plate with knobs that Fujifilm T1 has. See how Nikon’s implementation of knobs also makes no sense, as what you see on knobs is not necessary what a camera should do. It confuses the hell out of user and then ultimately, serves no purpose. At least an unobtrusive LCD on top tells the whole truth with no lies in one glance. All without clutter.

I personally hate the very thought of a knobbed top plate because for Pentax shooting philosophy, it would be two steps back.
I also agree. It would limit the use of the green button for me and make Pentax less special compared to other brands.
Retro cameras like the new Fuji is beautiful to look at though and is a great option in the retro genre
01-29-2014, 01:38 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sgtsween Quote
But why compromise quality/durability for what couldn't be that great of a cost difference? Alloy chassis at least would be great.
Agreed but it depends the positioning of the camera.
If it is based on K-3/K-5, sure.
If it is based on supposedly K60, no way.
01-29-2014, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #67

having most horrible day of my PhD thesis.... come on Ricoh, bring some sunshine with something new and fancy!!!!!

01-29-2014, 04:15 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Until I see a beautiful k-mount retro camera I'm convinced that it has to be mirrorless to keep the bulkiness low.
Mirror-what ?
[Runs in the other way very quickly]

Seriously, as Uluru points out for slightly different reasons, classic dials are not possible unless:
* they do it stupidly à la Nikon Df (and I don't buy it at a second)
* they bring back aperture rings to lenses (which I'd be happy about personally).

In theory they could change their mind in DFA lenses (I mean future FF lenses) and re-introduce the aperture ring. That would allow a real vintage-like operation of the camera. I'd certainly buy into that quickly but no way IMO they'd do that.
After all, they're 3 DFA lenses (including a refresh) and only the said refresh has no ring. But well...
01-29-2014, 04:34 AM   #69

I like the 18-70.

Nice focal range, fairly good aperture.

Being DC+WR it is cherry on top.

Wonder what the price will be. If it's below 700,00 bucks, i will buy ASAP

But Pentax need to make a DA* 70-200 f2.8 quickly. I need one and don't want to buy thirdparty (although the older SIgma is really on my buyers list)
01-29-2014, 05:22 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I'm getting on a bit, but I don't hanker after the multi-dial retro look that appears to be capturing many people's imaginations these days. The new Fujifilm certainly looks attractive, but I personally find my K-3 and K-5s with their contoured grips much more comfortable to hold and use than my truly retro film cameras, especially now that most lenses do not have aperture controls on them. That said, I wouldn't refrain from buying a "retro" design camera if its specifications were what I was looking for. We live in interesting times.
I'm not a fan of the faux vintage movement, but there's clearly a market for that kind of thing.

I'm wondering now if this KL will essentially be the Pentax rendition of Nikon's Df, in much the same way that the Ricoh GR mimics the Coolpix A. And if so, will this be Ricoh's strategy to expand marketshare? Producing "me too" products at a lower price is not a particularly glamorous strategy, but it is likely to be effective.
01-29-2014, 05:47 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Is plastic retro?

I guess this is the question everyone will be asking if the rumours of the KL turn out to be true. I thought real men insisted on bare metal or, when absolutely no compromises are required, varnished wood and Bakelite. I hope it's mainly metal and is designed with the Limited lenses in mind. I wonder if it might resemble a miniature 645D.

The K60/K600 sound like straightforward refreshes of just the kind one would expect at some stage this year.

I hope the lens rumours are all true. A wide-ranging spring clean of the lens catalogue would be very welcome.
01-29-2014, 06:17 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
I like the 18-70.

Nice focal range, fairly good aperture.

Being DC+WR it is cherry on top.

Wonder what the price will be. If it's below 700,00 bucks, i will buy ASAP

But Pentax need to make a DA* 70-200 f2.8 quickly. I need one and don't want to buy thirdparty (although the older SIgma is really on my buyers list)
Well I guess that an 18-70 lens with DC & WR 2.8-4.5 would basically be a straight replacement of the 18-70 f/4 SDM. Which is OK but many people were hoping this lens would actually replace the 16-50 DA*
01-29-2014, 06:35 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Well I guess that an 18-70 lens with DC & WR 2.8-4.5 would basically be a straight replacement of the 18-70 f/4 SDM. Which is OK but many people were hoping this lens would actually replace the 16-50 DA*
Although I don't believe myself saying this, I am sure the 16-50 will be replaced only by a DFA* 24-70/2,8.
01-29-2014, 06:38 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Is plastic retro?

I guess this is the question everyone will be asking if the rumours of the KL turn out to be true. I thought real men insisted on bare metal or, when absolutely no compromises are required, varnished wood and Bakelite.
I refuse to accept anything less that a body made from finely wittled elephant ivory, a lens mount made from martian meteorite ore, sapphire LCD display, and a strap made from the pelt of a mammal that went extinct in the 14th century. Oh, and wifi connectivity.

I agree, plastic is not really retro unless we are talking 80s retro. I'm hoping that, if these rumors have a smidgen of truth, the K-L is an aloy bodied machine.
01-29-2014, 06:41 AM   #75
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't believe in specs from French site. It's november, 2013's rumor. 20 MP sensor - I doubt.

It seems to me K-60's specs from China is trusted.