Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2014, 09:06 AM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Reality is a K3 and 3 Limited primes in a waist pouch will handle almost everything I would want a good zoom for on a hike.
That can work. And when I'm going somewhere I'm familiar with, I'll take primes (limited and K and M glass). In unfamiliar places, zooms are mighty handy. And longer hikes up in mountains during the summer can be really dusty. The dust gets everywhere, and it's nice, under those conditions, not to have to change lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The big reason I use zooms is for sealing. Pentax has chosen not to seal the limiteds (a mistake in my opinion) and so the DA * lenses and WR lenses (primarily zooms) are the way to go if you are going to be dealing with any weather.
That's another potential issue: lack of great WR options that aren't unreasonably heavy. Nonetheless, I have never hiked with a WR lens and have lived to tell about it. Indeed, I find build quality to be more important than WR. Carrying lenses miles on end through rugged territory is rather hard on plastiky zooms.

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I think there are reasonable workarounds. For example, a DA 15mm, a DA 20-40mm and an older M series 120mm prime lens - not much to carry.
That may be the long term solution I end up adopting. But I will also look at the upcoming 18-70 and ~12-28 zooms. That wide angle zoom could be a more perfect fit for the places I tend to hike (narrow mountain canyons).

01-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #197
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
400 f4 is a 300 2.8 with another 100mm. The cheapest on the market is the sigma at more than $3k. It is a big lens.

A 5.6 would be interesting and affordable as long as it is sharp wide open. If it has to be stopped down to perform reasonably, then might as well stick with a bigma and get another 100mm+.
I'm interested by the fact that everyone is jumping to the conclusion that this new rumoured 135-380 lens is going to be sigma 100-300 or pentax DA60-250 levels of quality and therefore a higher price.

but the HD WR 55-300 is not stunning money. if they are building it to be as good as the 55-300 then I can't see how a £850 - £1100 price point won't be impossible.

it's all a balance of sales against no sales surely? a mid quality, pentax made WR telephoto lens with the new HD coatings to fill the gap in their lens lineup will garner interest from a lot of users and maybe even tempt across users of other systems. producing a top drawer WR HD telephoto modelled on the likes of the DA 60-250 will garner a lot of drooling but the price will put a lot of people off.

bearing in mind, take a 60-250, add the new 1.5 TC and at 1.5 crop on the APS-C you have 575mm equivalent.

the 135-380 lens is equivalent to 570mm. now why make a 135-380 telephoto at huge money on that basis. who is it going to tempt?

it's not long enough for hardcore birders, and a lot of people with the 60-250 might be content with just adding the new TC to their collection and keeping their lens rather than spend more money and upgrade.

or they sell, saturate the market and see the resale price of the 60-250 go down a bit on the 2nd hand market for a short while and upgrade to the new lens.

obviously weight will be a factor, Pentax are known for good, not humongously heavy lenses so I hope this new lens will not be a beast like the bigma.

but i feel it more likely, if they are trying to build market share that they go the mid picture quality route. build on the good reputation of the 55-300 (which under the right conditions can take a stunning shot) and produce a sub £1000 to £1100 lens for the broader market.
01-31-2014, 12:56 PM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
They are identical. Maybe Adam scored K-50 lower because it had not improved over the K-30. Anyway when the K-60 (or whatever it is called) has the 24mp sensor and prime III, it will be more like the k-3.
A version of the K-3 with a 12-bit sensor vs. 14-bit? I'll take that. I'm even OK with 20 MP vs. 24 MP. Give me better high ISO performance and I'll really take it!
01-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #199
Inactive Account

well bear in mind the K30 was essentially the K5 with a better PRIME engine, faster AF, WR but missing some features. making it a good beginner buy.

so it stands to reason that things evolve and you get a budget K3 equivalent. one of the reasons I finally cracked and upgraded from K30 to K3?

grip, faster AF, good low light performance. it wasn't the 24mp that swung me

01-31-2014, 03:01 PM   #200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bearing in mind, take a 60-250, add the new 1.5 TC and at 1.5 crop on the APS-C you have 575mm equivalent.

the 135-380 lens is equivalent to 570mm. now why make a 135-380 telephoto at huge money on that basis. who is it going to tempt?

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/249754-three-rumors...#ixzz2s0zbkzYC

When I joined the Forum last year I was very excited about the benefits that "crop factor" had on "focal length". It appeared that a 300mm lens in front of a K5ll would automatically provide the magnification of a 450mm lens. However, from what I think I've learned, the actual magnification isn't changed at all only the "field of view", that what you see is the same decreased angle of view (FOV) that you would see with a 450mm lens but the object is not magnified as if you were using a 450mm lens. It still has the magnification of a 300mm lens. So, the long end of a 60-250 lens connected to the new 1.4 TC would actually give you a total magnification of a 350mm lens. Right??
01-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #201

FL is FL, irespective of the sensor. You can crop also from FF selfpleasuring that you "use" a longer FL.
01-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
the long end of a 60-250 lens connected to the new 1.4 TC would actually give you a total magnification of a 350mm lens. Right??
It would, kinda. The TC 'spreads' the light over a larger area. Optically it is a 350mm lens, and there is definite advantage in that.

01-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the actual magnification isn't changed at all only the "field of view",
Magnification is a function of how close the subject can be focused to and the focal length. Crop factor refers to making lenses focus on a smaller sensor plane, so if the pixel count is the same, yes, you are getting the "benefit" of longer focal lengths, and if one lens has the same minimum focus distance at a particular focal length on a camera with a "cropped" sensor as another lens on a camera with a FF sensor, they have the same magnification. Two different lenses may have different minimum focus distances at the same focal length, depending on their design, and you will end up with different magnifications. Adding a teleconvertor increases the focal length without increasing the minimum focus distance, so it increases the magnification proportionately. Using your example of the DA* 60-250, the teleconvertor will increase that lens' magnification by a factor of 1.4 to 0.21 but that is still less than the DA 55-300's magnification of .28 without a teleconvertor.
01-31-2014, 04:02 PM   #204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by valy Quote
You can crop also from FF selfpleasuring that you "use" a longer FL
But your cropped picture has fewer pixels, and if the FF camera has a lower pixel density than the crop sensor camera, it is physically impossible to capture the same detail. Besides, you could obtain 1.53 times as much of the same kind of pleasure for yourself by cropping images from a K-3 camera instead of a FF camera. But I suspect that owners of full frame cameras pleasure themselves in a different fashion.
01-31-2014, 04:11 PM   #205
Pentaxian

It can't happen; it would be a step backwards. I doubt it would appeal even to retro fans; it's too modern - but only to a small minority who liked the MZ-5 design.
01-31-2014, 04:31 PM - 2 Likes   #206

Photos: Gallery
When I joined the Forum last year I was very excited about the benefits that "crop factor" had on "focal length". It appeared that a 300mm lens in front of a K5ll would automatically provide the magnification of a 450mm lens. However, from what I think I've learned, the actual magnification isn't changed at all only the "field of view", that what you see is the same decreased angle of view (FOV) that you would see with a 450mm lens but the object is not magnified as if you were using a 450mm lens. It still has the magnification of a 300mm lens.
Yes an no. Indeed it's the field of view that gets changed, but effectively, this means your subject takes up more of the frame. Example: if I cut the field of view of my original image below in half, I end up with a frame containing significantly more duck.

Last edited by OJGoreng; 01-31-2014 at 04:41 PM.
01-31-2014, 04:40 PM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't doubt what you paid at all. I just know Creve Couer Camera had two @$665 in November. Those lenses had been on their website forever. I thought about it, but I linked the item here. They disappeared.

Not saying there is a direct correlation, but I think I should get a commission.
Pentax is so popular, anyone could have walked in and bought them. And naturally, Pentaxians nationwide routinely browse the website of a local midwestern camera chain.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I suggest you read the review of the first two versions of the Sigma 17-70 compared to the Pentax 17-70 that I wrote:

Pentax 17-70mm Lens Comparison - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Yes, that's a nice review. I remember reading it when it came out. But it's also part of the reason I asked the question - I don't see any photos taken at faster than f/4 that I can identify (the charts don't count). Perhaps there's a way to view the EXIF info on the samples?
01-31-2014, 06:35 PM   #208
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wait, so we suddenly get a 1.4x TC and a lens that looks like a ~100-350mm?

60-250 * 1.4 = 85-350mm.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
01-31-2014, 07:29 PM   #209
Unregistered User

What I find somewhat irritating is that you do not have the option of auto-bracketing with self-timer on kr, k30, and k50. I really hope they will adding this feature to the k60 and other future releases.

QuoteOriginally posted by odyseuss Quote
While the net is overwhelmed by Fujifilm's X-T1 release, someone on China's xitek.com posted these two Pentax rumors:

1) Ricoh Pentax K-60 (credibility: 37%)
24MP APS-C CMOS sensor without LPF
11 AF points, three of which support -3EV AF capability
29K-pixel RGB metering
100K shutter lifecycle
PRIME III processor (Same as K-3)
100% pentaprism optical view finder
Light-weight and weather-sealed design
Body available in multiple colors
Support NFC and Wifi
MSRP: USD$699.00
Original post: 2014 CP+,Ricoh Pentax K-60

2) HD Pentax-DA135-380mm f/4-5.6 ED [IF] DC WR (credibility: 65%)
Original post: 2014 CP+,HD Pentax-DA135-380mm f/4-5.6 ED [IF] DC WR

3) HD Pentax-DA18-70mm f/2.8-4.5 AL [IF] DC WR (credibility: 51%)
Original post: 2014 CP+,HD Pentax-DA18-70mm f/2.8-4.5 AL [IF] DC WR

The guy posted the rumors claimed that these came from some pentax rumors website, but as fas as I know no such rumors exist
yet on the net. Given the fact that K-50 is barely one-year old (released in 6/12/2013, according to dpreview.com), I don't think these
are plausible rumors though.
01-31-2014, 07:44 PM   #210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OJGoreng Quote
Yes an no. Indeed it's the field of view that gets changed, but effectively, this means your subject takes up more of the frame. Example: if I cut the field of view of my original image below in half, I end up with a frame containing significantly more duck.
So, this cropped image of "more duck" should therefore show more details if taken with a 24MP sensor, such as the K3 ?

JP