Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #241
Veteran Member

135-400 f4-5.6 that is fine wide open is what I'm looking for in a tele. Sure super-teli's like 600 f4 and the like are easy to drool over, but I want a 350mm+ hand holdable teli. If the quality of the lens is good enough wide open it will be fast enough for almost any outdoor situation with modern noise performance. Price wise and performance I would like it to be close to the benchmark canon 100-400L but I realize that that canon has been in production for almost 16 years now. My guess is that the lens if consumer lens quality will be around 1200 while if its DA* quality close to 2500.

02-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maleek Quote
I got to wonder how many of these rumors are just trolls having a laugh. Or if Ricohtax might be using some guerilla marketing tactics, planting rumors, to generate spin - like some other companies.
Considering the price drop of K-5II and K-5IIs, I think that a new camera launch is probable at CP+. About lenses, who knows?
02-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #243
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To tell the truth if they do a weather sealed K60 with no AA filter and the same sensor as the K3 then why would anyone buy a K3 when you can get 90% of one at 1/2 the price?
02-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #244
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by wildboar Quote
I totally agree! This is my second biggest request for the K60. My biggest request would be for the info screen settings to go back to the 'toggle' mode of the K5 and prior. The new method requires too many different key presses to show/hide the histogram.
I find it quite astounding that such a simple feature is missing in the first place.

02-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #245
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
To tell the truth if they do a weather sealed K60 with no AA filter and the same sensor as the K3 then why would anyone buy a K3 when you can get 90% of one at 1/2 the price?
Yes, they say the same about the Nikon d5300: it does what the high end Nikons do at less than 70% of the price.

I will have to upgrade because some basic features are missing on my kr. If those features are not included in the K60 either, then I will have no option but to purchase the k3.
02-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #246

The k60 would be plastic, which isn't bad, but I'll pay for metal. In fact the only time I've seen a Pentax break was a k20d dropped onto pavement while stepping out of the car. Camera still turned on but there was a hole busted through the bottom corner and the memory card wouldn't read. I've dropped my old k7 from a higher height onto solid granite(by accident) with no damage beyond some scuffs. In fact I've dropped that k7 more than a few times. Maybe its because I've already got my money's worth, but I trust that camera to take abuse more than any of my others(k20,k01,k5IIs). I trust it because it feels like metal and now that half the paint is worn off it looks like metal too.
02-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #247
Site Supporter

I've never actually dropped my camera. When I'm out it will stay on a strap around my neck or in my hand with the strap doubled up around my arm while the camera is being held.

02-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #248
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, to get more auto focus points, more external buttons, the option of a grip, faster operation, faster fps, etc. I think in the end lower priced cameras will always sell more than flagship cameras, but there will always be folks who want what the upper end camera offers as well.
02-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #249
Inactive Account

They could also do like they did with the k30 and drop the color depth to 12 bit
02-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #250
Site Supporter

I've never actually dropped my camera. When I'm out it will stay on a strap around my neck or in my hand with the strap doubled up around my arm while the camera is being held.

I hear ya.

However, I have dropped myself many times, While holding a camera.
02-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #251
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, to get more auto focus points, more external buttons, the option of a grip, faster operation, faster fps, etc. I think in the end lower priced cameras will always sell more than flagship cameras, but there will always be folks who want what the upper end camera offers as well.
If all it is missing is the upper LCD (which to tell the truth I don't really look at on my K5), but had a full pentaprism OVF, dual control wheels, WR body, no AA filter, etc. then to me it would have all it needed. I've never needed a grip because if worse comes to worse I do carry spare batteries.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
They could also do like they did with the k30 and drop the color depth to 12 bit
I wonder how much of a difference that would make, 12 vs 14 bit RAW on those.

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
I hear ya.

However, I have dropped myself many times, While holding a camera.
Me too...
02-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #252
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If all it is missing is the upper LCD (which to tell the truth I don't really look at on my K5), but had a full pentaprism OVF, dual control wheels, WR body, no AA filter, etc. then to me it would have all it needed. I've never needed a grip because if worse comes to worse I do carry spare batteries.

Me too...
Grip is handy to me for balance when shooting bigger lenses.

I have used a K30 and I definitely preferred the ease of operation with the K5 as compared to it. Also, I didn't mention it, but the shutters are a lot nicer on the K5/K3 models than on the K30/50.
02-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #253
Inactive Account

Me too...
When I bought the K30, the features that differentiated the much more expensive K5-II from it on a spec sheet were:
14 bit Raw
Faster shooting speed
Superior PDAF system
Bigger Battery
Grip ready
Microphone input
Upper LCD
Better back LCD

K-30 had a inherited a few better features than the K5-II though its K-01 lineage - namely snappier performance for menus and reviewing pictures and better CDAF with focus peeking.

I expect if they make a K60 those benefits of the top level camera will still hold true and there will also be 2nd memory card. I wouldn't be surprised to slap an AA filter on it either and reserve the AA shake function for the top of the line. It is all about keeping some features that will encourage the most demanding users to demand the top of the line the extra bit depth does give a little more dynamic range as measured in tests and reported by users.
02-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #254
Veteran Member

Would the K-60 be better than 700D in terms features. Image Quality is top notch for a Pentax no doubt, but other features will dictate the overall rating of the Camera?
02-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #255

I've only dropped my K-5 once, but it did fair pretty well. It's still going strong.

For me, the K-5 was well worth the extra money because of the extra controls, etc.