Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 06:36 AM   #466
Pentaxian

Alizarine,

I agree with you. I bought the FA limiteds last year when Pentax had one of their tempting offers. As a result I switched from Canon. I was sitting on the fence with Canon. I never liked their flash system and the focusing in their mid range cameras. I wanted to go back to Pentax knowing they are a great value and a serious platform. Granted with all the video craze Pentax is behind in the game. But for pure still shooters they can compete with the best of them.

As I mentioned I switched and I do not regret it one bit. However, the FA Limiteds on an APS-c sensor are not practical. I tried to shoot an event and I was lacking on the short end. Then I realized that I am fighting a losing battle. When I shot Canons for events, I had a wide to mid telephoto zoom on one camera and one mid to long tele zoom on the other body. That allowed me to cover 99% of most events. At that point I realized that I need pretty much the same set up for a Pentax too.

Now the FA limiteds are relegated to my "artsy" shooting or giving me the bragging rights with my other Pentax buddies. As you said it, they are not practical. I am not sure if they are great either. They are good optically but not great. They are fantastic mechanically. They are a work of art esthetically. But in practice and for 99% of the folk including myself they are not practical. I had some loose cash last year. That is why I bought them. If I had to buy them today, I would have serious second thoughts.

I wish there was a full frame. At least the 31 would have been an adequate wide lens and the 77, a nice mid range tele. The 43, on the other hand, other than size is an oddball for a crop sensor.

With all of this said, the esthetic value is priceless. A few of my Canon friends are tempted to get them too just because they are beautiful and so unique. They think the FA Limiteds are Leicas at Pentax prices. My old timer friends who know what a Leica is think it is a bargain and a nice "toy" to have.

Go figure.

Last edited by btnapa; 03-18-2014 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Copy addition.
03-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #467
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

Why a new k-01

decades long made Pentax 35mm film camera's.
the slr had a prism and a viewer. the back of
the camera had room for a 35mm film.
the Pentax Mx was a long time in use
easy to handle and had a lot of opporunities.

in 2003 Pentax was the first drsl for sale.
the back of the camera was used by a simple
lcd screen.

the prism and viewer were not changed.

in the time of the Pentax Mx the viewer showed
the things you needed.
today you get to much

why a prism and a viewer???

do you drive your car by one eye?
or reading your paper with one eye?

today with the present digital technique
is a prism and viewer history.

a 2013/2014 movable lcd screen with
enough infomation is the only thing you need.

a prism an a viewer is out!!!!
03-18-2014, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #468
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ebk Quote
i don't understand the link, but anyways ...

Try shooting anything moving a bit with a LCD, it's a real PITA ! If LCD was the holy grail, no one would put EVF/ OVF on anykind of ILC.
03-23-2014, 05:44 AM   #469

do you drive your car by one eye? or reading your paper with one eye?
Hi,

One of the reasons to buy my K-30 over the 700d and d5200 was actually the better viewfinder... You want to hit the target, it's more intuitive to close one eye, aim and shoot.

Just my 2 cents.

daniel

Last edited by danielblues; 04-01-2014 at 09:51 PM. Reason: bad example
03-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #470
mee
Veteran Member

But don't you lose depth perception with just one eye? I mean I think gun sport shooters close one eye because the gun is narrow; only one eye lines up with the barrel.
03-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #471
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
But don't you lose depth perception with just one eye? I mean I think gun sport shooters close one eye because the gun is narrow; only one eye lines up with the barrel.

Shotgun-ers usually keep both eyes open, for what it's worth.
03-28-2014, 05:58 AM   #472
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
View finders on cameras were dessigned with one eye viewing.

03-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #473
Pentaxian

decades long made Pentax 35mm film camera's.
the slr had a prism and a viewer. the back of
the camera had room for a 35mm film.
the Pentax Mx was a long time in use
easy to handle and had a lot of opporunities.

in 2003 Pentax was the first drsl for sale.
the back of the camera was used by a simple
lcd screen.

the prism and viewer were not changed.

in the time of the Pentax Mx the viewer showed
the things you needed.
today you get to much

why a prism and a viewer???

today with the present digital technique
is a prism and viewer history.

a prism an a viewer is out!!!!
It may be true that a movealbe lcd screen is the only thing YOU need but it is not what I either want or need. I use it on my WGIII and it is sort of a lcd screen on my 4X5 but for my dlsr it is not what I would want.
03-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #474
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, that's just a fallacy. "Older=worse, newer=better" - It just doesn't work that way.
03-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #475
Veteran Member

Does your Digital Single Lens Reflex camera (or mirrorless) see with one "eye" (lens)? Yes.
Is the live view image on the back LCD generated with one "eye" (lens)? Yes.
Do you gain any more information viewing a flat screen with a 2D image using two eyes vs. one? No.

Does this whole "one eye" argument have any meaning or relevance to anything? No.

Last edited by Cannikin; 03-28-2014 at 02:31 PM.
03-28-2014, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #476
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Does your Digital Single Lens Reflex see with one "eye" (lens)? Yes.
Is the live view image on the LCD screen generated with one "eye" (lens)? Yes.
Do you gain any more information viewing a flat LCD screen with a 2D image using two eyes vs. one? No.

Does this whole "one eye" argument have any meaning or relevance to anything? No.
I think it is pretty well established that Sports/Action photographers use right eye to the viewfinder with 'both eyes open' to track action outside the frame. It is an acquired skill - one I have never mastered - that is not necessary for every style of photography.
03-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #477
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think it is pretty well established that Sports/Action photographers use right eye to the viewfinder with 'both eyes open' to track action outside the frame. It is an acquired skill - one I have never mastered - that is not necessary for every style of photography.
Don't see how this relates to his argument that only using one eye for the viewfinder somehow makes the viewfinder obsolete.
03-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #478
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I very much prefer the viewfinder over live view.
03-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #479
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I very much prefer the viewfinder over live view.

Live view in my opinion would be good for younger people or for those who don't shoot action shots. I've tried shooting action shots of children running around using live view. At my age where I need reading glasses to see what I'm shooting, using live view is a disadvantage. Continuous shooting using live view with reading glasses and panning my camera left and right to catch the action gives me a head ache and at times would make me feel like I want to throw up.

An EVF or OVF is still my choice.
03-29-2014, 05:21 AM   #480
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Don't see how this relates to his argument that only using one eye for the viewfinder somehow makes the viewfinder obsolete.
It doesn't. Other than pointing out that the viewfinder remains a necessary technology in some instances.

I guess I Ignore someone who posted something or missed the original argument. Passive viewfinder technology is the largest benefit of the SLR IMHO and I think it will be quite some time before it is supplanted.

I do use Live View for critical focus of stationary objects. Having both is the best solution, and to me any smaller or thinner is not as good as the present Pentax K3.