Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 164 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
1 person getting more than 1 prize means another person gets nothing.

I'd rather see more people get the warm fuzzies than a few. Maybe you just like to see one? I'm not even largely interested in the contest since I own the lenses already.. only providing what I feel would make more sense for the audience at large.
Well, they have it capped at 3, so you can only win 3 times, plus the final raffle. I have been posting my butt off and have only won once. I think its fair and open to anyone who wants to participate. Photos that normally would not get commented on now do, people who may not have felt welcome, or maybe felt their skill was not worth the comments or attention of other members now feel welcome and accepted. People are learning, I see it every day. It is a wonderful thing and if everyone would get involved more then maybe more than just a handful would win the daily prizes.

02-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #227
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Well, they have it capped at 3, so you can only win 3 times, plus the final raffle. I have been posting my butt off and have only won once. I think its fair and open to anyone who wants to participate. Photos that normally would not get commented on now do, people who may not have felt welcome, or maybe felt their skill was not worth the comments or attention of other members now feel welcome and accepted. People are learning, I see it every day. It is a wonderful thing and if everyone would get involved more then maybe more than just a handful would win the daily prizes.
I only feel sorry for the folks in the marketplace. I've been too busy looking at photos to spend much time trying to feed, or at least window shop, my LBA.
02-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #228
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by techno57 Quote
You 're a lucky one !! Do you have sample pictures to show us , taken with this lens ??
Samples?

I have scattered them all over this forum. Start in the fisheye thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/33549-fisheye-fever-club-f...ye-photos.html

There are more in other places too. So many I forget them all . . . . . .
02-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #229
Site Supporter

A prize like that, I feel would need an intricate contest.
Yes. I think it would need an intricate, photographic contest. Which would most definitely DQ me, since I suck. I'm still trying to figure out basics. *sigh* I'll get there. Eventually!

02-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #230
mee
Veteran Member

You poor thing.. you've only won once. hehe

If they awarded more people prizes then more people than just a handful would win daily prizes. That said, the time involved in winning any of the prizes (short of grand) could have been spent on an odd job or so much more quickly to simply buy the item in question outright -- There is more risk (of time) than reward (of prize) if one's goal is predominately to win something(s).

In any event, a lot of your statements here are opinion.. just like mine.. I hope you see both as such. I say that as I get the distinct feeling that you've taken a healthy measure in downplaying any potentially dissenting viewpoints from your own.. as if anyone else who disagrees with you has blinders on to the positives both potential and accrued or is somehow the enemy to the site; I'm glad you too see the benefits to the forum from these contests as I know I do. This is why I take time out of my life to post further suggestions (that I think will benefit the forum more)... and respond to you (when I could be sleeping ).
02-10-2014, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #231
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You poor thing.. you've only won once. hehe

If they awarded more people prizes then more people than just a handful would win daily prizes. That said, the time involved in winning any of the prizes (short of grand) could have been spent on an odd job or so much more quickly to simply buy the item in question outright -- There is more risk (of time) than reward (of prize) if one's goal is predominately to win something(s).

In any event, a lot of your statements here are opinion.. just like mine.. I hope you see both as such. I say that as I get the distinct feeling that you've taken a healthy measure in downplaying any potentially dissenting viewpoints from your own.. as if anyone else who disagrees with you has blinders on to the positives both potential and accrued or is somehow the enemy to the site; I'm glad you too see the benefits to the forum from these contests as I know I do. This is why I take time out of my life to post further suggestions (that I think will benefit the forum more)... and respond to you (when I could be sleeping ).
I am sorry if you feel that way, I have not gone out of my way to downplay any opinion different than my own. I have simply stated my own feelings on what this contest has done for me. Once this contest is over I will still be here posting as I am doing now. If I did not care what you thought I would simply ignore your posts. I would be dishonest if I told you that I was not put on the defense a little by your comments because I have seen my name pop up more than once in reference to this contest. You can look at my join date and see that I have been here for a little bit, but I didnt really come out of the woodworks until recently. I mainly popped on here to read posts and equipment reviews. I can understand why people would think I am here for the contest only but only time can prove them wrong. I am sorry if anyone feels slighted by my presence but I do feel like I have helped make people feel welcome. I am sorry if that offends people. It should mean something to someone that I donate my time and money to this place.
02-11-2014, 12:42 AM   #232
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Based on the stats I'm seeing, the contest hasn't increased the number of visitors to the forum. It has, however, gotten people to post who otherwise would have just cruised through threads and kept to themselves, perhaps just enjoying photos or not answering a question knowing that somebody else eventually would. And I think that in itself has enhanced the overall community experience for other users of the site while rewarding the top contributors, so this is the closest to a win-win that we've gotten so far.

An intricate photo contest for a K-3 might work, but there would have to be more to it than just uploading photos and having users or judges vote on them.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-11-2014, 05:52 AM   #233
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
They did?
Did you sleep through it?
02-11-2014, 06:23 AM   #234
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Did you sleep through it?
Sort of.

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Oh yeah, I remember now. The FaceBookTwitterMySpaceHastagTweet thing was out of my league.
So far I have managed to stay out of all that FacePlant Hashmess with the Birds Teewting and all.

02-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #235
mee
Veteran Member

I am sorry if you feel that way, I have not gone out of my way to downplay any opinion different than my own. I have simply stated my own feelings on what this contest has done for me. Once this contest is over I will still be here posting as I am doing now. If I did not care what you thought I would simply ignore your posts. I would be dishonest if I told you that I was not put on the defense a little by your comments because I have seen my name pop up more than once in reference to this contest. You can look at my join date and see that I have been here for a little bit, but I didnt really come out of the woodworks until recently. I mainly popped on here to read posts and equipment reviews. I can understand why people would think I am here for the contest only but only time can prove them wrong. I am sorry if anyone feels slighted by my presence but I do feel like I have helped make people feel welcome. I am sorry if that offends people. It should mean something to someone that I donate my time and money to this place.
I'm sure you have been helpful to others.

Your reasons for interest in the contest are your business and no one elses. Besides, even if you were only here to win stuff then there is nothing wrong with that. Theoretically, Someone could join today, start posting, and win any number of the remaining prizes.

I think there is no need to prove to anyone anything.. even if you were to try, it is practically impossible.. Especially people on a web forum where there are so many personalities and cultural norms. The fact that you have come out of the 'woodworks' recently is a good thing for the community as a whole. But I think we can all share differing opinions and not have to go on the defensive about them all the time -- we can agree to have differing views and still be friends. Perhaps we can all do better on that aspect.
02-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #236

Photos: Gallery
I have learned a lot from the Pentax Forum, but a contest winner that is primarily base on quantity of posts seems to dillute the quality of posts. You may see more traffic in the short run, but serious people will begin to look elsewhere for serious information and interaction.
02-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #237
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AlanR Quote
I have learned a lot from the Pentax Forum, but a contest winner that is primarily base on quantity of posts seems to dillute the quality of posts. You may see more traffic in the short run, but serious people will begin to look elsewhere for serious information and interaction.
Adam already addressed your concern.

---------- Post added 02-11-14 at 06:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Based on the stats I'm seeing, the contest hasn't increased the number of visitors to the forum. It has, however, gotten people to post who otherwise would have just cruised through threads and kept to themselves, perhaps just enjoying photos or not answering a question knowing that somebody else eventually would. And I think that in itself has enhanced the overall community experience for other users of the site while rewarding the top contributors, so this is the closest to a win-win that we've gotten so far.

An intricate photo contest for a K-3 might work, but there would have to be more to it than just uploading photos and having users or judges vote on them.
Here...

Adam,

I think a photo contest each week with a theme would work. Each week's winners, one judge's & one popular vote, would get points. The last week, only the 3 highest point totals are entered.

Last edited by dansamy; 02-11-2014 at 05:32 PM.
02-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #238
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I think a photo contest each week with a theme would work.
What do you mean by each week?

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #239
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What do you mean by each week?
Sorry, I was editing.

Each week would use a theme. Entries for that theme would be judged in two ways, by a set of judges chosen by PF & by popular vote. The very final week, with a photographer's choice theme, would consist of only the 3 highest scoring finalists. I don't know how many weeks you would make it last. I guess it depends on the themes you choose.
02-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #240
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Sorry, I was editing.

Each week would use a theme. Entries for that theme would be judged in two ways, by a set of judges chosen by PF & by popular vote. The very final week, with a photographer's choice theme, would consist of only the 3 highest scoring finalists.
I like that idea. Having finalists is a great way of lettings users qualify in more than one way.

Adam