Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #241
Site Supporter

You could have prizes for each week, making those prizes kind of equal in value. Like a lens one week, a gift card another, maybe a bag or a flash or a tripod.

Then the finalists' week, the finalists each get a prize, but the overall winner gets the big prize, the k-3.

Last edited by dansamy; 02-11-2014 at 06:29 PM.
02-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #242
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
You could have prizes for each week, making those prizes kind of equal in value. Like a lens one week, a gift card another, maybe a bag or a flash or a tripod.

Then the finalists' week, the finalists each get a prize, but the overall winner gets the bug prize, the k-3.

I, too, like this idea. However, I still think something needs to be done to encourage voting (that is, [random] prizes). Otherwise, it could become a case of 'too many chiefs, not enough indians.' And the bonus of encouraging voting will be to send people into the Photos section (where I suspect a sizable portion of the overall community doesn't actively frequent).
02-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #243
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I, too, like this idea. However, I still think something needs to be done to encourage voting (that is, [random] prizes). Otherwise, it could become a case of 'too many chiefs, not enough indians.' And the bonus of encouraging voting will be to send people into the Photos section (where I suspect a sizable portion of the overall community doesn't actively frequent).
I think perhaps small prizes for a random voter of the week would work. Small things like lens cleaners or rocket blowers.
The overall photography contest could also be set up in a tiered manner with open entry week one, which is open to all comers & is photographer's choice, ie their best work. You could have top 5 voters choice & top 5 judges choice move on to week which begins themed weeks.
02-11-2014, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #244

a reason to login

So I have been a creeper for years, picking up tidbits along the way.. a month long contest means i must speak up

02-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #245
mee
Veteran Member

I think perhaps small prizes for a random voter of the week would work. Small things like lens cleaners or rocket blowers.
The overall photography contest could also be set up in a tiered manner with open entry week one, which is open to all comers & is photographer's choice, ie their best work. You could have top 5 voters choice & top 5 judges choice move on to week which begins themed weeks.
You gave me an interesting idea.. which, understandably, would be difficult to coordinate but could prove interesting -- How about a NCAA BB style tournament.. aka.. a bracket style tourney? Have an open-to-everyone 1-2 week photog compo.. top 64 or 32 advance to the bracketed tourney. The judging would strictly be PF mods and representatives (if you could get Pentax, B&H, and/or Adorama to participate) in a closed environment (uploaded photos would not be visible to anyone else).

Then, on the bracketed side, would have it arranged where there would be Nature vs Nature photo, Sports vs Sports, or Macro vs Macro genre photos competing against each other. The voting on the bracketed side would be completely up to the rest of us (Non Mods/Reps). Do-or-die style matchups where each week a news series of face offs occurs until the Champion is awarded their shiny, new K-3.

Could possibly do an Olympic style one.. I was once in a Music Competition that was themed like the Olympics with various genres grouped into different 'events' -- talk about big fun!!
02-11-2014, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #246
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You gave me an interesting idea.. which, understandably, would be difficult to coordinate but could prove interesting -- How about a NCAA BB style tournament.. aka.. a bracket style tourney? Have an open-to-everyone 1-2 week photog compo.. top 64 or 32 advance to the bracketed tourney. The judging would strictly be PF mods and representatives (if you could get Pentax, B&H, and/or Adorama to participate) in a closed environment (uploaded photos would not be visible to anyone else).

Then, on the bracketed side, would have it arranged where there would be Nature vs Nature photo, Sports vs Sports, or Macro vs Macro genre photos competing against each other. The voting on the bracketed side would be completely up to the rest of us (Non Mods/Reps). Do-or-die style matchups where each week a news series of face offs occurs until the Champion is awarded their shiny, new K-3.

Could possibly do an Olympic style one.. I was once in a Music Competition that was themed like the Olympics with various genres grouped into different 'events' -- talk about big fun!!
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
. I think if you do a photo contest for a K-3 it should be a bracket system and you would have different rounds to go through.
My thoughts exactly.
02-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #247
mee
Veteran Member

hahaha wow when did you post that?

I guess as they say.. great minds think alike.. but, I'm not so sure I'd really group yourself with me.. my mind is far from great.

02-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #248
Veteran Member

hahaha wow when did you post that?

I guess as they say.. great minds think alike.. but, I'm not so sure I'd really group yourself with me.. my mind is far from great.
Yesterday or the day before i think. I agree you need to do a bracket. Do 4-6 "regions" each region is a different kind of photography. That way macro shots, nature, landscape, street, portrait/people, etc has its own region. The best picture of each type makes it out of its bracket and then competes with a shot of a different type. I think it would be neat to see it done that way. I agree with @dansamy on how you you should promote voting and that the voting should not be users alone, maybe the users should elect a panel of "official judges" or maybe our sponsors could chip in some people to judge(i dont know how possible that is). The votes should be weighted percentage wise. The official judges vote should count for 50% and the users vote should count the other 50%. You could do the giveaway in march and obviously call it "march madness"
02-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #249
Site Supporter

I think it's too close to set up a high quality photography contest for March.
02-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #250
MSL
Pentaxian

I think it's too close to set up a high quality photography contest for March.
If nothing else - some of us need a bit snow to melt and the temperatures to warm up if only to let our creative brains thaw out. How about August instead
02-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #251
Site Supporter

August is good. That's beach weather! And that's 6 months after the great post-a-thon!
02-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #252
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Sorry, August is no good. Vacation just before school starts.
02-11-2014, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #253
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by colourful64 Quote
So I have been a creeper for years, picking up tidbits along the way.. a month long contest means i must speak up
And you saying this and getting liked for this brought me out of the top 12 for the day..
02-11-2014, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #254
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
And you saying this and getting liked for this brought me out of the top 12 for the day..
There's an interloper among us!
02-11-2014, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
Nothing wrong with that