Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I like the fact that Pentax Forums is giving stuff away, just not sure about the actual contest itself. Are we going to be getting a bunch of crappy posts similar to the crappy one line "reviews" that we're posted during the last contest? Oh well, good luck to those that "enter".

02-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I also have mixed feelings about this contest. Rather than post to purely participate I think there will be a small nagging voice telling me to filter my posts a bit in order to evoke responses and likes on purpose.
Yes, I'm pretty sure this was a stealth post.
02-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #18

Spam filter engaged.
02-01-2014, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I'd rather have seen it like this:

A random draw from the pool of February daily posters for that day, and every post is like buying another raffle ticket, giving you a better chance of being drawn.

If you win a daily prize, it takes you out of the running for another daily prize, but your monthly totals still increase your chances for one of the grand prizes at the end of the month, which would still be a random draw from the pool.

That put's a little luck back into it, instead of just pure volume of posts, which some people could really abuse.

Just my .02 cents worth,
Eric

02-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #20

This seems like a pretty daft contest to me.
02-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Would really like to win the DA 35mm F2.4, all the luck.
02-01-2014, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I think I'd rather have seen it like this:

A random draw from the pool of February daily posters for that day, and every post is like buying another raffle ticket, giving you a better chance of being drawn.

If you win a daily prize, it takes you out of the running for another daily prize, but your monthly totals still increase your chances for one of the grand prizes at the end of the month, which would still be a random draw from the pool.

That put's a little luck back into it, instead of just pure volume of posts, which some people could really abuse.

Just my .02 cents worth,
Eric
How about a raffle in which everyone who posts on a particular day gets one entry, regardless of the number of posts they make or number of likes they earn? That way you'd be encouraging people who don't post much to get more involved without encouraging people to spam every thread they can find.
02-01-2014, 10:44 AM - 2 Likes   #23

Need to cover this hollow:

02-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks for taking some of the feedback given into account in devising the rules for winning. Good luck to everyone!
02-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote

I'm definitely all for any kind of contest to inspire participation, but I also second these thoughts. I just think the kind of random draw Erictator mentions is less likely to inspire same amount of abuse as this kind of "by volume" contest. I'm mainly thinking about all the extra work this could make behind the scenes to pick a "real" winner in the face of severe abuse. Then again, maybe a random draw wouldn't be as effective in inspiring activity? I guess, come March, we'll find out.
02-01-2014, 12:09 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2000 Quote
Need to cover this hollow:
The hollow above PENTAX or the hollow below PENTAX?
02-01-2014, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #27

By Top Poster, do you mean number of posts, or the quality of a members posts? I hope they will all be helpful and relevant.

Best regards,

/Clay

Last edited by Clay; 02-01-2014 at 12:26 PM.
02-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #28

need new camera

I have really enjoyed my Pentax 1000 & ME Super. But it is getting harder to get film developed at a quality developer. I need to upgrade to digital. I really like Pentax so this one would be great.
02-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clay Quote
By Top Poster, do you mean number of posts, or the quality of a members posts? I hope they will all be helpful and relevant.

Best regards,

/Clay
Well, technically nonsensical and one-word posts are against forum rules.

QuoteQuote:
Please do not post meaningless threads, or nonsensical (or one-word) replies.
PentaxForums.com - Forum Rules
02-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Contest

QuoteOriginally posted by stevo Quote
How about a raffle in which everyone who posts on a particular day gets one entry, regardless of the number of posts they make or number of likes they earn? That way you'd be encouraging people who don't post much to get more involved without encouraging people to spam every thread they can find.
Agreed, otherwise it is a giveaway to the mega-posting darlings.