Photos: Gallery
I'm just trying to become a pentaxian this month

that's a better goal

Free stuff is cool though
02-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #153
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ClinchShots Quote
dansamy killing the post amounts.
Not really. And posts in this thread don't count towards your daily tally.
02-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #154
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by T2SEAL Quote
I am looking for a lightening strike trigger for my K30, anyone have suggestions?
You might try looking here:

The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com

And here:

Flashes, Lighting, and Studio - PentaxForums.com

Or here:

Pentax Camera and Field Accessories - PentaxForums.com

Maybe here:

Pentax Camera and Field Accessories - PentaxForums.com

There is a review or two here:

Lens Reviews and Lens Information

Happy hunting!

02-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #155
Veteran Member

Forum Rules: "The person with the highest number of points each day will win a daily prize. The top 12 members each day will also receive grand prize raffle entries. At the end of the month, the person with the highest number of raffle entries will automatically win a grand prize. Two more grand prize winners will then be drawn based on the actual number of raffle entries held by each member."
By Definition of the word "Give away" It really doesn't seem like a true "Giveaway" It seems more like a "Reward" or "Compensation" for time spent and or quota met.
A true "Giveaway" would not require obtaining a certain level of service in exchange to acquire a product.
just my 2 cents.
I actually may have to steep away from the Forum until March. Events like this make the forum less enjoyable and more stressful.
02-05-2014, 11:09 AM - 2 Likes   #156
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Some posts also make it less enjoyable and more stressful.

(just my 2 cents)

Last edited by Parallax; 02-05-2014 at 11:20 AM.
02-05-2014, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #157
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
I actually may have to steep away from the Forum until March. Events like this make the forum less enjoyable and more stressful.
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Some posts also make it less enjoyable and more stressful.

(just my 2 cents)
Anytime the word "free" is attached to something the game changes. People's behavior changes. On forums those who are generally quiet suddenly become very active.

Remember the T-shirt design contest?

Many people had the appearance of being very butt hurt over the whole thing. And I bet the m0dErAt0rz were pulling their hair out by the time it was over.

02-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #158
Site Supporter

I'm trying to make sure that I'm at least contributing in a thoughtful, meaningful way when I post. If I don't have something contributory, I just pass it by.

But I have seen some spamtastic behavior.
02-05-2014, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #159
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
But I have seen some spamtastic behavior.
Yep, and that's actually understandable and expected. The suggestions as to how it might be done better are expected and appreciated. What I don't get is whiny, critical, "this sucks because it's not the way I would have done it" posts.
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I'm trying to make sure that I'm at least contributing in a thoughtful, meaningful way when I post.
I try and do that too. Well, sometimes anyway.
02-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #160
Site Supporter

There's one poster who's making me wish this forum used auto-merge...
02-05-2014, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Geez, I post just for fun. Now that there's some sort of reward for posting . . .
I think I average about 80 posts a YEAR, some of these people are posting 80 times a DAY.

I either need a new job or a personal assistant to compete with that...
02-05-2014, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #162
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

What I don't get is whiny, critical, "this sucks because it's not the way I would have done it" posts.
When I moderated on a truck driver's forum the owner held a contest and the prize was a top of the line truck specific GPS. The contest announcement woke up members who had not posted in years. About 98% of the contestants whined and bitched.

I won the contest.

Since I use my laptop with Streets and Trips for navigation and trip planning I suggested that another contest be held, and I would donate the GPS as the prize.

The second time around I won again.

So another contest was suggested, and m0dErAt0rZ were excluded.

Also a couple other prizes were added, a truck specific atlas and a pair of gloves or some such.

The winner of that contest gave the GPS to the second prize winner in trade for the atlas.

And as I mentioned, each time the whining and bitching drove the staff nuts. Some members got so mad they swore that they quit and would never visit the forum again.

Within 6 months most of them were back, posting up a storm and bickering with each other just like old times.

Truck drivers fit into one of two very distinct groups.

Severely antisocial, and severely needful of human interaction. And when they congregate on a forum things get weird.

I am so glad that I am just a retired heavy equipment mechanic who happens to drive a truck.
02-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #163
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I won the contest.
A word of caution. If you ever get to Pierre, SD, don't trust it!
We have a railroad bridge over one of the main streets. It's a rather low bridge, but there's is a HUGE sign that clearly states the clearance. It gets hit by a truck or RV ( or one gets wedged wedged under it) about half a dozen times a year. The most common reason given? "My GPS routed me this way".
02-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So little time, so many pictures!
02-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #165
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

A word of caution. If you ever get to Pierre, SD, don't trust it!
We have a railroad bridge over one of the main streets. It's a rather low bridge, but there's is a HUGE sign that clearly states the clearance. It gets hit by a truck or RV ( or one gets wedged wedged under it) about half a dozen times a year. The most common reason given? "My GPS routed me this way".
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Since I use my laptop with Streets and Trips for navigation and trip planning I suggested that another contest be held, and I would donate the GPS as the prize.

The second time around I won again.

So another contest was suggested, and m0dErAt0rZ were excluded.

Also a couple other prizes were added, a truck specific atlas and a pair of gloves or some such.

The winner of that contest gave the GPS to the second prize winner in trade for the atlas.
~ Ahem! ~