02-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #31
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
From your own post of 08/14/2013:

Pentax is there to stay.

In his own (translated) words:
– Yes, Pentax will always exist at the product level,
– In the future, in the professional field's name is still a Pentax.

Thus I believe we can at least relax regarding those two issues, especially in the wake of recent website address changes. Personally I'm glad to hear that clear confirmation.

However, I have understood from the interview that some non-system, *compact* cameras are still under question re exact branding. They may be branded either as Pentax or Ricoh. Which isn't any news, really, because that same issue was stated a while ago. (my emphasis)

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/233394-pentax-there...#ixzz2sNsxxsZx

Pentax is committed to K-mount, Q and 645.
My quote is irrelevant in this case Monochrome, because Kawauchi did mention WG. That is why this struck me as "just wait a minute ..." moment.
So perhaps he was just talking from the top of his head without any reference.
It doesn't really matter now; they may name cameras as they want.

Maybe WG may become Nemo?

02-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Mr Kawauchi of Ricoh Imaging told in an interview some time ago that famous Pentax lines of cameras, and he mentioned Q, WG, DSLRs, will NOT be rebranded as Ricoh. Now they do it.
So, he was either lying, or they are still totally confused, disoriented and changing plans constantly.
Link? I remember only DSLR and ILC cameras in the Pentax branding statement.
02-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #33
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Link? I remember only DSLR and ILC cameras in the Pentax branding statement.
Translation:

"Mr. Kawauchi said the company has no such intention, we all know the truth is not to light in the digital SLR era, so in the future in the professional field is still the name of Pentax, Pentax others rather special area does not change, such as Ultra-small micro-single Q series, three anti-WG series, and so will be maintained. Some of the lack of other consumer characteristics may be adjusted."

Link is here...

Last edited by Uluru; 02-04-2014 at 01:50 PM.
02-04-2014, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Translation:

"Mr. Kawauchi said the company has no such intention, we all know the truth is not to light in the digital SLR era, so in the future in the professional field is still the name of Pentax, Pentax others rather special area does not change, such as Ultra-small micro-single Q series, three anti-WG series, and so will be maintained. Some of the lack of other consumer characteristics may be adjusted."

Link is here...
Not so sure that means the name. Could mean the products won't be discontinued. Other than GR, what products does Ricoh have now?

And again, Pentax - K-mount, Q and 645, in English, native speaker (not trranslated), spoken directly to me. WG is none of the three.

Besides, who really cares? They own the brand. They can do what they think is right globally. We have a limited, continent-centric, culture-centric view.

Be happy you don't work for my company. I've had 16 different business cards in 27 years and not changed my telephone number once. As far as my customers are concerned they do business with me, not the company whose name is on the door this quarter.

02-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Translation:
Thanks!
02-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Ricoh have bought many companies and they never used said companies' brand names more than a few years post acquisition. Those were BtoB brands, not BtoC, but some of them, such as Gestetner, were as praised in the reproduction business as, for instance, Leitz or Zeiss for microscopes.

They didn't care and the outcome of the rebranding has proven they were right.
02-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #37
Banned

As Lauren said, it would be perceived as a more positive move to bring in something *new* rather than stick a new nameplate on the long established existing product.
Is it there that their imagination ends? They have optimised parts of the lineup by reducing the amount of paint used (to write a name) by one letter? From that perspective the move is disappointing, and that is to be announced at a major photography equipment and consumer show, together with a TC sitting on the roadmap for 7 years already?
Really cool.

Last edited by Uluru; 02-04-2014 at 03:04 PM.
02-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I'll bite

I'm seriously considering a Nikon 1 AW1 to replace my Optio W10 whenever the trustworthy (soon 8 year old!) camera starts leaking…
Yes, the Nikon AW1 is a consideration for a all weather camera over the P&S all weather cameras. It has a larger sensor, and can change lenses. Still a little difficult to use outside of all automatic mode. Plus now hotshoe and the lens is slow.
02-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Ricoh have bought many companies and they never used said companies' brand names more than a few years post acquisition. Those were BtoB brands, not BtoC, but some of them, such as Gestetner, were as praised in the reproduction business as, for instance, Leitz or Zeiss for microscopes.

They didn't care and the outcome of the rebranding has proven they were right.

Ricoh acquired Savin in 1995, and it still sells photocopiers under the Savin name.
02-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #40
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Yes, the Nikon AW1 is a consideration for a all weather camera over the P&S all weather cameras. It has a larger sensor, and can change lenses. Still a little difficult to use outside of all automatic mode. Plus now hotshoe and the lens is slow.
That is exactly kind of thing that makes Pentax users go crazy in this case: why didn't Ricoh come up with a total WR and divers version of the GR ?, or with the proper RX100 answer ?, or something similar and *new* .. instead of sticking a new plate on the existing Pentax product?

Will they kill the MX-1?
02-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #41
Pentaxian

As Lauren said, it would be perceived as a more positive move to bring in something *new* rather than stick a new nameplate on the long established existing product.
Is it there that their imagination ends? They have optimised parts of the lineup by reducing the amount of paint used (to write a name) by one letter? From that perspective the move is disappointing, and that is to be announced at a major photography equipment and consumer show, together with a TC sitting on the roadmap for 7 years already?
Really cool.
By "something *new*" you mean abandoning the current product lines, right? No more WG-series products? Then, what would be the next *new* thing to do, no more K-mount?
And what should they do instead? GoPro copies? Rebrand Sony cameras with metal knobs and wooden grips?

By the way, in case you haven't noticed the two new compacts are new products.

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Ricoh acquired Savin in 1995, and it still sells photocopiers under the Savin name.
Let's ignore that
02-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #42
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the WG series sells, I don't think the Pentax name has got much to do with it. It's probably due to the design. Pentax compact cameras have always been very low profile even in Japan. Ricoh, on the other hand, has a solid brand identity, if only a niche one. I'm concerned that they will cheapen that by putting the name on products that don't seem to follow the Ricoh ethos. I'm not trying to knock the WG specifically. I was more concerned about the other Optio rebrand they did earlier in the year. Perhaps they see a future where the WG series becomes a brand in itself, like the GR and Pentax.
02-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #43
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
By "something *new*" you mean abandoning the current product lines, right? No more WG-series products? Then, what would be the next *new* thing to do, no more K-mount?
And what should they do instead? GoPro copies? Rebrand Sony cameras with metal knobs and wooden grips?
By the way, in case you haven't noticed the two new compacts are new products.
I do not understand your reply at all.

New WGs are an update to an old Pentax line of waterproof and shockproof cameras. They are popular.
But I was questioning the nameplate change, that is all. Will Ricoh's name sell them better and serve them better?

If the WG line was renamed, then how big is a chance that truly new Ricoh branded compacts will ever come (except for GR)? In fact, many people, including myself, were eager to see what will Ricoh do in compacts arena building on the success of GR. I still see nothing there.

And even from Mr Kawauchi's words, those intrinsic Pentax lines (including WG) would remain Pentax. But it seems they will not. So I'm puzzled with the strategy of the branding and product development, and with the integrity of official's talk, that is all. Or should I not be concerned with things they say?

Regarding the Rx100, by many opinions out there that is the most advanced compact zoom on the market, with a good, steady price all this long. And it has been unanswered by any other company. I would expect Ricoh, with its long tradition of hard core innovation in compacts arena, will come up with a zoom compact that betters the Rx100. Was my expectation unrealistic? Or I should have better expected Ricoh to come with a renamed WG instead, as a form of unprecedented innovation?

Last edited by Uluru; 02-04-2014 at 04:23 PM.
02-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Will they kill the MX-1?
Why kill it? Rebrand it as Ricoh and free up the name.

Wasting the "MX" name on a P&S was a mistake anyway...
02-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
Why kill it? Rebrand it as Ricoh and free up the name.

Wasting the "MX" name on a P&S was a mistake anyway...
I only hope they had some strategy before putting a Pentax name and an MX designation on that camera.
Well, indeed, not a single Pentax user ever expected MX-1, so it was a surprise.

If they change it, like they did with the WG, then what should we think of their ability to think strategically?
I mean, what is the point of the whole exercise?