Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I only hope they had some strategy before putting a Pentax name and an MX designation on that camera.
If they change it, like they did with the WG, then what should we think of their ability to think strategically?
What is the point of the whole exercise?
If THAT was part of a strategy, I hope that they'll abandon it...

Last edited by Boris_Akunin; 02-04-2014 at 10:26 PM.
02-04-2014, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If the WG line was renamed, then how big is a chance that truly new Ricoh branded compacts will ever come (except for GR)? In fact, many people, including myself, were eager to see what will Ricoh do in compacts arena building on the success of GR. I still see nothing there.
Yep.

What we see here is that the Ricoh brain trust, even when it comes to compact/PS cameras, was/is dead.

I am (still) looking forward to something of a K-01/GXR replacement or something without a Pentax/Hoya pipeline "do-over", but it looks like the only thing that will come out of the Ricoh closet -after a deep look inside - is a trip to Narnia.

02-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only hope they had some strategy before putting a Pentax name and an MX designation on that camera.
Well, indeed, not a single Pentax user ever expected MX-1, so it was a surprise.

If they change it, like they did with the WG, then what should we think of their ability to think strategically?
I mean, what is the point of the whole exercise?
Maybe I'm just making this up but I've thought all along the strategy is to have Pentax be the brand for ILCs and Ricoh the brand for non-ILCs.
02-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #49

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Maybe I'm just making this up but I've thought all along the strategy is to have Pentax be the brand for ILCs and Ricoh the brand for non-ILCs.
Agreed. CP+ will be the best place to be clear.

02-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #50
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I think we here were presuming that, based on some (I believe) valid points taken out of the context of some interviews. After that assertion, I myself was surprised to see the MX-1 being announced, and even branded as a Pentax camera. A total surprise.
That, then some other official’s statements I mentioned above, and lack of new and original compacts (MX-1 is a rebranded OEM product), added to the overall confusion …

Last edited by Uluru; 02-04-2014 at 06:19 PM.
02-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #51
JPT
Pentaxian

Since a Ricoh executive mentioned that future compacts would be branded Ricoh in a newspaper interview, there have been just two Pentax branded compacts - the X-5 and the MX-1. Both of those cameras are styled to look like classic Pentax cameras, so it would be crazy to give them the Ricoh branding. Apart from those exceptions, I think the policy stands.

I'm pretty sure the WG cameras are not a big focus of development now, but if they continue to make money, they will want to keep them on the market. I would imagine that they are developing more advanced cameras to be produced at Ricoh's China factory. Right now they would appear to be only producing GR cameras, but they must have spare capacity since the GXR went out of production.
02-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I would imagine that they are developing more advanced cameras to be produced at Ricoh's China factory. Right now they would appear to be only producing GR cameras, but they must have spare capacity since the GXR went out of production.
My vote goes to a new GR21!

02-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #53
JPT
Pentaxian

Well, there's a historical precedent for a GR21, but since they already have a 21mm converter lens, it would make more sense to go for a 43mm or something like that.
02-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Well, there's a historical precedent for a GR21, but since they already have a 21mm converter lens, it would make more sense to go for a 43mm or something like that.
43mm is more of a Pentax thing... I'd buy it but a 50mm equiv. version would probably sell better among non-Pentaxians.
02-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #55
Veteran Member

If anything, I'd also like to see a proper form designed replacement for the K-01.

It has (had) some good features - and could effectively be a K-50/500 level camera for less if only they...

a) Put in / allowed for an EVF
b) Designed the form factor to 'really' be usable
c) Made the LCD screen to be bright enough to be usable in daylight (SoCal desert = very bright)
d) Made it WR (like K-50)
e) More 'media' friendly than K-50 (microphone/headset jacks).

This would be more geared to media than pure camera / photo hardcore - but then again, it doesn't have a 100% pentaprism viewfinder like all the rest
02-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
If anything, I'd also like to see a proper form designed replacement for the K-01.

It has (had) some good features - and could effectively be a K-50/500 level camera for less if only they...

a) Put in / allowed for an EVF
b) Designed the form factor to 'really' be usable
c) Made the LCD screen to be bright enough to be usable in daylight (SoCal desert = very bright)
d) Made it WR (like K-50)
e) More 'media' friendly than K-50 (microphone/headset jacks).

This would be more geared to media than pure camera / photo hardcore - but then again, it doesn't have a 100% pentaprism viewfinder like all the rest
It should be thin wherever it's possible (everwhere except where the empty mirror box goes), I'm still parial to the idea of a removable mirror box. (A short mount on the camera and a K-mount adapter with all contacts and integrated AF-motor)
02-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
If the new WG's add RAW capability I'll be more interested.

I'm hoping that if there is a followup to the MX-1 that it will not be branded a Ricoh primarily and that the Pentax name will sit on its front gloriously. But Pentax is K mount, and I don't mind Pentax being DSLR/SLR/Mirrorless only. It reminds me of the Asahi days.
I hope this is the strategy. I could care less about P&S, but I hope they don't release a K-3 or K-01 predecessor under the Ricoh name. That would be the moment I jumped over the wall and bought a Sony A7.
02-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #58
Veteran Member

This brand change is plain stupid. I can imagine some young people looking at a Ricoh camera, and asking:

- This Ricoh is a chinese brand?
- Sorely, is a junk camera.
02-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I'm not saying the images/rumors are false, but I do find it odd that Ricoh would use the WG-4 designation, given the cultural phobia over the number 4.
Tetraphobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
02-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #60

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I'm not saying the images/rumors are false, but I do find it odd that Ricoh would use the WG-4 designation, given the cultural phobia over the number 4.
Tetraphobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nikon has the D4.