Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #76
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: utrecht
Posts: 93
No Ricoh

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Well, they're owned by Ricoh anyway. It's not as if the sticker contained all the electronic, is it ?

in the past i was a fan of the Ricoh slr,
in the digital time the fan feeling went away

02-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #77
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Orleans
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by ebk Quote
No Pentax no sale


If the product doesn't meet your needs you shouldn't buy it and if someone else makes a better product you should buy it, surely you don't blindly buy anything Pentax releases. But if you are in the market for a camera you can take swimming, you will look at the choices and pick the one that might suit you best. They might need to win your business where you would have bought the pentax by default, but maybe they are confident that this product is so compelling that if you complete that evaluation you will buy it.
02-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #78
Veteran Member
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,754
Changing the name on a box does not change the contents of the box.

I'm not that brand loyal; if Ricoh chooses to rename the Pentax 645D to Ricoh 645D then that's fine to me (because I will never be able to afford one) but if they choose to rename the upcoming K-mount DSLR's (or MILC's) to Ricoh then that's fine to me too. Of course I will miss the Pentax name but I'm sure I'll recover from that sooner than later :P
02-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #79
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,003
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
(...)

I'm not that brand loyal; if Ricoh chooses to rename the Pentax 645D to Ricoh 645D then that's fine to me (because I will never be able to afford one) but if they choose to rename the upcoming K-mount DSLR's (or MILC's) to Ricoh then that's fine to me too. Of course I will miss the Pentax name but I'm sure I'll recover from that sooner than later :P
...says the one whose nickname is Asahiflex

I am still missing the Asahi and Takumar brand names...

02-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #80
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,265
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
...says the one whose nickname is Asahiflex

I am still missing the Asahi and Takumar brand names...
They used Takumar only one time in decades, I think it was a prototype of K10 with DA40 renamed to Takumar 40 and the top plate silver retro looking.
02-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,434
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
They used Takumar only one time in decades, I think it was a prototype of K10 with DA40 renamed to Takumar 40 and the top plate silver retro looking.
Yep. Other than on about 25,000,000 lenses.
02-05-2014, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #82
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,487
It amazes me that so many folks "pretend" to not care about brand names or the like.
Like it shows some kind of maturity for caring less?

If brands did not matter, then we'd all be buying things in plain boxes and going with whatever generic goods were sold to us.

Since that is not the case, I wish folks that "Poo-Poo" on brand awareness would stop being so hypocritical of those of us who care about "Pentax".

This is "Pentax Forums" not "Generic Cameras We Love Forums".

Last edited by LaurenOE; 02-05-2014 at 08:23 AM.
02-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #83
Pentaxian
Blacknight659's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 730
Is anyone happy about the rebranding? At the end of the day I personally like the name Pentax better than Ricoh. I am very grateful for the acquisition of Pentax by Ricoh because I believe it is why we are seeing so much life out of the company. However, I am a little tired of the rebranding. I would be more comfortable is they would choose one name and stick with it. Although if they do choose Ricoh for the name, it will be a bit annoying to have miss matched names on my lense vs my future camera bodies.

02-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #84
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,927
i can't wait to see reviews of the converter.....
02-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #85
Pentaxian
JimmyDranox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ploiesti, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,611
Sorely, Ricoh has a strategy. A very wrong one. A strategy based not on marketing laws, but on vanity.

Of course, they can put whatever name they want. They can brand the camera ''Snail''. But they will not gain new costumers, because Ricoh is not known for young costumers, far less than Pentax. And the people who will see the new WG camera on the shelfs, will think that's a chinese clone camera of Pentax.

I don't take into account my personal preferences, or anyone on the forum. I'm talking about marketing principles that can lift or break a company.

LaurenOE, very good point.
02-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,073
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Changing the name on a box does not change the contents of the box.

I'm not that brand loyal; if Ricoh chooses to rename the Pentax 645D to Ricoh 645D then that's fine to me (because I will never be able to afford one) but if they choose to rename the upcoming K-mount DSLR's (or MILC's) to Ricoh then that's fine to me too. Of course I will miss the Pentax name but I'm sure I'll recover from that sooner than later :P
I agree, and a lot of preceeding posters do as well.

I don't really bother about Pentax or Ricoh.

My point is threefold :
- They are not doing what they said when taking over Pentax (about 2 1/2 years ago), and what they said when changing PRIC's name (about 9 month ago),
- They are not clarifying things or product lines (mixing Ricoh with Pentax on K-3 is no good ; changing "only" the brand on WG is no good),
- They haven't really innovated under the Ricoh branding (but for the Theta, and admittedly but to a lesser extent with the APS-C GR)

Don't forget that it is not only OUR perception that counts, but the CUSTOMER TO WIN's , COMMUNICATIONS MEDIA and RETAILER's perceptions.

=> My resumed question is : do you Ricoh think these branding changes and mixes are gonna help you develop your market shares ?
=> My concluding answer is : no, to the contrary.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 02-05-2014 at 08:47 AM.
02-05-2014, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #87
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
Well, let's face the facts: After a good start (classics like the first Optio S models), the P&S division of Pentax detoriated and produced an incredible heap of me-too really bad performing P&S cameras. Even some of the W series models are not all that good, for instance the low light performance of my daughter's W80 is worse than that of my now soon 8 year old W10 (the lens is better in the W80, though).

So I wonder if it's better that customers forget Pentax as a P&S brand anyway, and that Ricoh should focus on the proud DSLR and MF heritage of Pentax.
02-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #88
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,487
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Sorely, Ricoh has a strategy. A very wrong one. A strategy based not on marketing laws, but on vanity.

Of course, they can put whatever name they want. They can brand the camera ''Snail''. But they will not gain new costumers, because Ricoh is not known for young costumers, far less than Pentax. And the people who will see the new WG camera on the shelfs, will think that's a chinese clone camera of Pentax.

I don't take into account my personal preferences, or anyone on the forum. I'm talking about marketing principles that can lift or break a company.

LaurenOE, very good point.
Yep. I wonder if Ricoh vanity is based in something? Is there a corporate need to mark territory? Is it something Japanese or specific to Ricoh?

In Ricoh's world view, did Pentax somehow rain on their parade in the past and this is "payback"?

Are we, as Pentax users, being subjected to retaliation for being Pentax customers?

Was there some secret cabal where Ricoh engineers were secretly employed by Pentax and now the truth is coming out?

It amazes me how Ricoh is "marking their territory".
02-05-2014, 08:36 AM - 5 Likes   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,434
Facts of life

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
Is anyone happy about the rebranding? At the end of the day I personally like the name Pentax better than Ricoh. I am very grateful for the acquisition of Pentax by Ricoh because I believe it is why we are seeing so much life out of the company. However, I am a little tired of the rebranding. I would be more comfortable is they would choose one name and stick with it. Although if they do choose Ricoh for the name, it will be a bit annoying to have miss matched names on my lense vs my future camera bodies.
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
It amazes me that so many folks "pretend" to not care about brand names or the like.
Like it shows some kind of maturity for caring less?

It brands did not matter, then we'd all be buying things in plain boxes and going with whatever generic goods were sold to us.

Since that is not the case, I wish folks that "Poo-Poo" on brand awareness would stop being so hypocritical of those of us who care about "Pentax".

This is "Pentax Forums" not "Generic Cameras We Love Forums".
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Sorely, Ricoh has a strategy. A very wrong one. A strategy based not on marketing laws, but on vanity.

Of course, they can put whatever name they want. They can brand the camera ''Snail''. But they will not gain new costumers, because Ricoh is not known for young costumers, far less than Pentax. And the people who will see the new WG camera on the shelfs, will think that's a chinese clone camera of Pentax.

I don't take into account my personal preferences, or anyone on the forum. I'm talking about marketing principles that can lift or break a company.

LaurenOE, very good point.
They aren't stupid and they aren't vain. They're doing what their market research tells them will yield the highest profit over the intermediate term. If the Pentax brand had such powerful, magic cache' they would have released the Pentax GR. Pentax doesn't have positive brand recognition any more. It means nothing outside our little community.

Pentax destroyed the brand from the inside all by itself, starting in 1988. Just look at the crappy, ugly, plastic products!! Sure - there was a gem in there every once in a while, but most of the time they exploited their history at our expense. FA-J lenses??? HAHAHAH!! Dealer support?? They should sell us because we're Pentax. I swear, I know 2 retired former Pentax Reps who went to Canon in the 80's and I know why.

Aside from the K10D what has Pentax done in the last 15 years???

The K3. And that's at least half Ricoh.

Hoya merely consumed the entrails.

I don't like it - but blaming Ricoh doesn't do anyone any good.

I do care. Unfortunately there aren't enough people like me left in the world to keep the brand name relevant and marketable, and certainly not enough between 25 and 54. Today doesn't really matter. 2024 matters, when today's 25-44 are 35-54.

Pentax is K-nmount, Q and 645. Forget about Ricoh around the edges. Pentax as a brand is the money shot.
02-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #90
Pentaxian
JimmyDranox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ploiesti, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,611
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I do care. Unfortunately there aren't enough people like me left in the world to keep the brand name relevant and marketable, and certainly not enough between 25 and 54. Today doesn't really matter. 2024 matters, when today's 25-44 are 35-54.
Tell this to Apple funs.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
converter, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, phone, waterproof
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax A 28/ 2.8, M 50/1.7, and Pentax rear converter-A 2x-S Reduced Price davidgreen3003 Sold Items 13 01-28-2014 01:37 PM
High-End fixed lens P&S cameras ? LFLee Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 14 04-15-2012 06:10 AM
For Sale - Sold: Rare: Pentax Rear Converter A 2X-S MINT w/Case & Caps (Worldwide) cheekygeek Sold Items 9 04-02-2010 09:41 AM
Vacations and P&S cameras Glarus Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 13 03-10-2010 02:49 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax SMC 1.4x-S & 2x-S Rear Converter A (TeleConverter) frank Sold Items 7 06-21-2009 02:22 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top