Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Good point, although I have to say I find that odd as well.

02-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #62
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I'm not saying the images/rumors are false, but I do find it odd that Ricoh would use the WG-4 designation, given the cultural phobia over the number 4.
Tetraphobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the K line they embraced odd numbers. 7, 5, 3.
Avoided the K-9, obviously.
Although I believe there would be nothing wrong with K-8, K-6 or K-4 names.
Nikon uses number 4 without any superstition.

Anyway, Ricoh loves shuffling names, inventing new company names, changing them, rebadging this and that. It’s their forte and, of course, no explanation is ever given — it makes them look they are very busy.

I expect them to rename K-3, in due course, to the K-4, as the real K-3 will come with updated new colour scheme on its dials. Firmware update sticker will be downloadable from their website.
02-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #63
Site Supporter

I'm interested to see what price the TC will be...
02-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #64
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I'm interested to see what price the TC will be...
I have just heard that the price will be "right" and "okay".
Nothing specific at this moment, but it won't bezerk people.
Embargo ends Friday night and we'll most likely hear more during the weekend and early next week.

02-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #65
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh made the GRD4. And since when has Pentax numbering made sense?
02-05-2014, 01:40 AM - 2 Likes   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sgtsween Quote
I hope this is the strategy. I could care less about P&S, but I hope they don't release a K-3 or K-01 predecessor under the Ricoh name. That would be the moment I jumped over the wall and bought a Sony A7.
Sony which did exactly the same with Minolta. That makes sense indeed.
02-05-2014, 01:56 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Although I believe there would be nothing wrong with K-8, K-6 or K-4 names.
Nikon uses number 4 without any superstition.
Panasonic and Olympus have consequently dropped it on every micro 4/3 camera. But Olympus had an OM-4...

02-05-2014, 02:03 AM   #68
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Sgtsween Quote
I hope this is the strategy. I could care less about P&S, but I hope they don't release a K-3 or K-01 predecessor under the Ricoh name. That would be the moment I jumped over the wall and bought a Sony A7.
No, they will most likely not do that. Anything that supports sports Pentax mounts — and there are three mounts is use right now — will be branded as Pentax.

On the other hand, some confusing points about the (sudden) WG camera rebranding came from the statements of a Ricoh Imaging manager, who at a certain point said, "No, WGs are a typically Pentax product, they will remain as Pentax".

So at this stage, we can surmise Mr Kawauchi has talked nonsense.

However, we see nameplate changes again, but no new substance, and most users (I believe) are more unnerved with that fact — that instead of new exciting products we are given endless name changes on immaterial things, again and again.

And it is quite legible for users to raise questions, at a first available interview. Adam, PF team, hope you will interrogate further during the CP+.

Last edited by Uluru; 02-05-2014 at 02:11 AM.
02-05-2014, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #69

No, they will most likely not do that. Anything that supports sports Pentax mounts — and there are three mounts is use right now — will be branded as Pentax.

On the other hand, some confusing points about the (sudden) WG camera rebranding came from the statements of a Ricoh Imaging manager, who at a certain point said, "No, WGs are a typically Pentax product, they will remain as Pentax".

So at this stage, we can surmise Mr Kawauchi has talked nonsense.

However, we see nameplate changes again, but no new substance, and most users (I believe) are more unnerved with that fact — that instead of new exciting products we are given endless name changes on immaterial things, again and again.

And it is quite legible for users to raise questions, at a first available interview. Adam, PF team, hope you will interrogate further during the CP+.
I sure hope that is the case. There are so many interesting cameras out there making think I should switch systems, but there it too much about Pentax that I love. I guess it boils down to the fact that if Ricoh cared so little about the brand and rebadged everything as a Ricoh, what motiviation would I have to maintain my brand loyalty? I like Pentax to the point that I want to stay with the brand even despite some potentially more exciting (to me) products from others like Fuji and Sony (compact FF mirrorless is my grail camera.) I love the Pentax UI, ruggedness and WR, ergonomics (K-5 etc) and solid consistent IQ. Not to mention that I have a blast mounting 25-30 year old lenses with no adaptor and taking excellent images through those little "time machines."
02-05-2014, 05:26 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Mr Kawauchi of Ricoh Imaging told in an interview some time ago that famous Pentax lines of cameras, and he mentioned Q, WG, DSLRs, will NOT be rebranded as Ricoh. Now they do it.
So, he was either lying, or they are still totally confused, disoriented and changing plans constantly.
Thanks to remind us that we should not listen - and be very suspectfull - to any of these corporate annoucements.
Ricoh's top management are like dogs searching by any means to mark their new territory.
Forgetting the ridiculous notoriety of Ricoh as a consumer market label...
R&D synergies, Cobranding in an unstable product line assignment and subminimal marketshares : Ricoh are inconsistent in their telling and in their acts, let's blame them for this.
02-05-2014, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #71
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Thanks to remind us that we should not listen - and be very suspectfull - to any of these corporate annoucements.
Ricoh's top management are like dogs searching by any means to mark their new territory.
Forgetting the ridiculous notoriety of Ricoh as a consumer market label...
R&D synergies, Cobranding in an unstable product line assignment and subminimal marketshares : Ricoh are inconsistent in their telling and in their acts, let's blame them for this.
Pentax is their subsidiary and they will do what they want with it. I wouldn't get so worked up about it.
02-05-2014, 06:07 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Pentax is their subsidiary and they will do what they want with it. I wouldn't get so worked up about it.
Agreed. I don't get was the fuss is all about.
02-05-2014, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #73
Veteran Member

Pentax is doomed!
02-05-2014, 06:55 AM   #74
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

No Pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I guess Ricoh will take over the branding on compacts. It looks really prominent on the top left one and there is no Pentax in the product name at all.

No Pentax no sale

02-05-2014, 06:57 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ebk Quote
No Pentax no sale

Well, they're owned by Ricoh anyway. It's not as if the sticker contained all the electronic, is it ?