Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 07:06 AM   #166
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
Does anyone know if this teleconverter will be compatible with sigma and tamron lenses or just pentax lenses?
Thanks
Don't count too much upon that.

1) It may physically fit on third party lenses with K-mount, but there is no guarantee whatsoever that it will be a good match optically speaking. Quality teleconverters are usually matched to a limited number of specific, named lenses. And for now, we 'only' have PENTAX/RICOH's published list of compatible lenses to rely on - actually a surprisingly long list!

2) Note that PENTAX/RICOH mentions a future firmware upgrade as a pre-requisite for proper AF-function. That firmware will only be able to (programmed to) reckognize which PENTAX lens is mounted on the converter.

On a side-note: There has been only little discussion on the applicability of this converter on a number of PENTAX wide-angle zooms and primes. A TC for one's favourite wide-angle lens isn't what would first come to mind as a desirable option - - - unless I would like to put a DA lens on one of my 35mm analogue film cameras. Anybody else but me that are a bit surprised?

02-27-2014, 04:30 AM   #167
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was hoping the Pentax TC would work with the Sigma 500 4.5 - I guess I will just have to wait and see. Since I have the DA*300 and Sigma 500 if the TC doesn't work with the 500 I probably would not buy one. Long lenses are like the proverbial "Size Matters" - it is never long enough.
02-27-2014, 04:41 AM   #168

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I was hoping the Pentax TC would work with the Sigma 500 4.5 - I guess I will just have to wait and see. Since I have the DA*300 and Sigma 500 if the TC doesn't work with the 500 I probably would not buy one. Long lenses are like the proverbial "Size Matters" - it is never long enough.
I have the new Pentax tc on pre-order, for use with the Sigma 500/4.5.
I wouldn't know why it should not work. When you use the lens on the camera, aperture and focal length are recognized, and screw drive focussing works perfectly. Why should it be any different when mounting the lens on the tc? Does it not only pass the info about the lens on to the camera? The camera should do the calculating to take the tc into account. I would sooner question a third party tc on a Pentax camera, than a third party lens on a Pentax tc.
Also, as far as I know when using a tc, IQ is best with long focal length primes, only with shorter focal lengths and zoom lenses IQ can be questionable.
Anyhow, I'll see in about a month.

Chris
02-27-2014, 04:55 AM   #169
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Why should it be any different when mounting the lens on the tc?
Let's hope it will work. But WHY does Pentax tell us that our camera bodies will need a firmware upgrade before we can use this new TC?

I strongly suspect that this has got to do with proper AF-function (wich can be individual from lens to lens). The 560mm f/5.6 lens required a firmware upgrade of its own for that reason.

And I can tell, that the Kenko AF-Pz SHQ 1,4X teleconverter and my DA*200 do not work well together AF-wise, neither on my K-5 with SDM, nor on my *ist DL with screw drive.

And, finally, there will always be an uncertainty about optical matching. For example, Sigma expressly state that their converters are optimized for certain, specific Sigma lenses.

02-27-2014, 05:16 AM   #170

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Let's hope it will work. But WHY does Pentax tell us that our camera bodies will need a firmware upgrade before we can use this new TC?
I can imagine for proper communication between camera body and the TC.
02-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #171
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have pre orderered it, hopefully it will maintain AF on the FA*300 f2.8 and FA*600 f4. Fingers crossed
02-27-2014, 06:15 AM   #172
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
I have pre orderered it, hopefully it will maintain AF on the FA*300 f2.8 and FA*600 f4. Fingers crossed
I would be surprised if it didn't work with those lenses.
02-27-2014, 06:25 AM   #173
Pentaxian

'Work' with a lens means two things. Actual physical mounting and working autofocus is one aspect. The second is image IQ.

02-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #174
Site Supporter

I do think 'work' means three things. According to the RICOH Imaging homepage, AF is an issue of its own:
The first PENTAX rear converter to provide AF compatibility
When coupled with an AF lens, the autofocus operation can be performed by the main lens. This rear converter works perfectly with both the camera-driven AF system and the lens-driven AF system (such as the SDM- and DC- series lenses).
*The camera’s firmware must be updated to the latest version before using the autofocus function. Compatible camera bodies are: K-3, K-50, K-500, K-30, K-5 II, K-5 II s, K-5, K-01, K-7, and K-r. Autofocus is possible with a PENTAX lens having maximum aperture of f/4 or brighter.
Well according to that same page, release date is 7 March 2014 so, we shall all soon learn........
02-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #175

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Got to see one yesterday, it was attached to a DA-L 50-200 WR. Aperture on the camera reported f/8 properly and it auto-focused well indoors on a K-3. Your lenses will not be a problem.
02-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
Got to see one yesterday, it was attached to a DA-L 50-200 WR.
That's a Pentax product showcase for you..
02-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #177
Pentaxian

Got to see one yesterday, it was attached to a DA-L 50-200 WR. Aperture on the camera reported f/8 properly and it auto-focused well indoors on a K-3. Your lenses will not be a problem.
Don't suppose you checked the firmware version on the camera?
02-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #178

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Don't suppose you checked the firmware version on the camera?
Nope, but our Ricoh rep is great about keeping things up to date, he'll regularly update our display models if there is enough charge on the battery.

Honestly it was very cold outside yesterday, and our store is very warm. 90% of the time we were waiting for the lenses to defog.
Got enough time to point it at a few things, but the conditions were not suitable for evaluating IQ, so I've no comment along those lines.

It is impressively compact compared to 1.4x converters from Canon and Nikon, I quite liked it, and build quality is rock-solid.The weather-sealing between camera and TC and TC and lens is very tight, it will pair beautifully with any DA* or WR lens.

Last edited by Mock; 02-27-2014 at 10:48 AM.
02-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #179
Pentaxian

Nope, but our Ricoh rep is great about keeping things up to date, he'll regularly update our display models if there is enough charge on the battery.
So was it the reps camera or one of your display models?

Just trying to determine if the converter was being used on an already released or a reps up coming firmware.

Thanks.
02-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #180

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
So was it the reps camera or one of your display models?

Just trying to determine if the converter was being used on an already released or a reps up coming firmware.

Thanks.
It was his camera, could have been a new firmware.