Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #361
Unregistered User

Looking at these images I can only say that the TC makes them soft. To soft for my taste. I had the same "problem" with my K-3+DA*300+TC-combo. The DA*300 performs way better than this.

03-25-2014, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #362
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whatever....
03-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #363
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Looking at these images I can only say that the TC makes them soft.
Well, your opinion is as valued as everyone else's, but it certainly puts you in the minority. Possibly a minority of one.
03-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #364

The photo's of the Crow's (the first one look's like a Raven to me) are very nice, to my eye not soft at all.

Looks like a great combo!

03-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #365
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The crows look soft and fluffy to me! That's only because they have puffed up to stay warm though. I want to see a moon shot with that and one of the *600 lenses. I bet it would be awesome.
03-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #366
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
The photo's of the Crow's (the first one look's like a Raven to me) are very nice, to my eye not soft at all.

especially sharp when you consider how far away they were, and they may well have been ravens...I spent some time looking for way to tell the difference, and never really came to a solid opinion. I based it on bird calls I've heard in the woods behind our house, but there is nothing to say these were the same birds. I have one out of focus image of one of the birds taking off, and it was huge, probably larger than a crow. But it' so hard to tell. You can see my focus was back on the branches where he was sitting, I didn't anticipate him taking off, there are times when manual focus isn't all it's cracked up to be. If I'd had the 1.7 on I might have had a shot, but then,both his wingtips would have been outside of the frame.

Last edited by normhead; 03-26-2014 at 07:00 AM.
03-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #367

Received my tc yesterday, finally! I'm not the best to make judgement on this having only owned my K-3 and lenses for 2 months and being my first decent camera since an AE-1 in the 70's.

DA*300 has not given me many in focus pictures especially compared to the 60-250. Couple of weeks ago figured out it was backfocusing and +3 helped as did going to back button AF and disabling the shutter button focus, AF.C with spot focus is what I have settled on. Still a lot of OOF pics and figured that I could use the tc on the 60-250 and send the 300 back in to be checked, several others on here have had the same issue. I tested the tc with the 300 and also had to set fine focus adjustment to +3.

Late yesterday with low light and overcast skies took 10 shots with the 300 and 10 with the 300 + tc all at the same bird on the feeder from a tripod. All 10 with the tc came out in good focus, not so with the 300 by itself. Cropped and played around the images enough that I ordered a second tc today. Not sure if it will work stacked and would hope the engineers thought of that when they did the firmware. Have yet to do BIF but with luck will be able to give it a try this weekend with both of them. To me one of the biggest benefits is better focus on the 300, especially for BIF. I'm hanging on to the 300 for now it is working perfectly with the tc.

6.3 iso 200 1/400.

03-26-2014, 07:07 PM - 2 Likes   #368
Pentaxian

Cross posted from Post Your Photos, K-3 images, and some were in the Your Pet a Day thread, I didn't put any in the Macro club, Sigma Lenses, there are so many places you could possibly post a picture it's hard to even remember them all.

If you don't have a 100 macro, put the 1.4 TC on your 70 macro... that gives you 98mm ƒ4.

Gotta have a stick, can't go on a walk without a stick..

03-26-2014, 11:24 PM   #369
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote

By the size of its beak, I'd also say it's a raven...
nice pics BTW!
03-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #370
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a shot with the TC and the DA* 60-250

And here of a very distant and skittish meadowlark with the TC on the 560 (hey, somebody had to buy one) It's early with this lens (only two weeks old) but I do find the TC softens the picture a bit and have mostly used it for skittish birds or distant raptors where I can't cross a fence line or boundary
03-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cold Iron Quote
Received my tc yesterday, finally! I'm not the best to make judgement on this having only owned my K-3 and lenses for 2 months and being my first decent camera since an AE-1 in the 70's. DA*300 has not given me many in focus pictures especially compared to the 60-250. Couple of weeks ago figured out it was backfocusing and +3 helped as did going to back button AF and disabling the shutter button focus, AF.C with spot focus is what I have settled on. Still a lot of OOF pics and figured that I could use the tc on the 60-250 and send the 300 back in to be checked, several others on here have had the same issue. I tested the tc with the 300 and also had to set fine focus adjustment to +3. Late yesterday with low light and overcast skies took 10 shots with the 300 and 10 with the 300 + tc all at the same bird on the feeder from a tripod. All 10 with the tc came out in good focus, not so with the 300 by itself. Cropped and played around the images enough that I ordered a second tc today. Not sure if it will work stacked and would hope the engineers thought of that when they did the firmware. Have yet to do BIF but with luck will be able to give it a try this weekend with both of them. To me one of the biggest benefits is better focus on the 300, especially for BIF. I'm hanging on to the 300 for now it is working perfectly with the tc.
That's too bad about your 300. Mine is a gem, and if anyone wants to take it they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
BH still shows the TC as pre order, are you all Canadians? Where are you getting your TC's?

---------- Post added 03-27-14 at 12:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
And here of a very distant and skittish meadowlark with the TC on the 560 (hey, somebody had to buy one) It's early with this lens (only two weeks old) but I do find the TC softens the picture a bit and have mostly used it for skittish birds or distant raptors where I can't cross a fence line or boundary
A 560! Noticed there was a note next to the 560 on the list of supported lenses, something about the focus?

---------- Post added 03-27-14 at 01:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Cross posted from Post Your Photos, K-3 images, and some were in the Your Pet a Day thread, I didn't put any in the Macro club, Sigma Lenses, there are so many places you could possibly post a picture it's hard to even remember them all. If you don't have a 100 macro, put the 1.4 TC on your 70 macro... that gives you 98mm ƒ4. Gotta have a stick, can't go on a walk without a stick..
Warms the heart to see all the family out having fun
03-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #372

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
That's too bad about your 300. Mine is a gem, and if anyone wants to take it they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
BH still shows the TC as pre order, are you all Canadians? Where are you getting your TC's?
I am hoping that I will feel that way about mine eventually, and am starting to especially when it gets a perfect picture.

No not Canada but close Mn. I was on preorder with B&H for around a month. Once I got it and tried it did some searching because it is still pre-order at B&H and found it on Amazon. Seller isn't Amazon directly but The Camera Box, they don't have it on the website yet so I called them to order directly and get 2 day shipping. Really want to try them stacked and there is a 15% restocking fee so if it doesn't work then think I may just keep one on the 60-250 and the other on the 300. But trying to save up for the Sigma 500/4 or that 560 beast so not sure.

So jealous riseform! Very nice.
03-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #373
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am hoping that I will feel that way about mine eventually, and am starting to especially when it gets a perfect picture.

No not Canada but close Mn. I was on preorder with B&H for around a month. Once I got it and tried it did some searching because it is still pre-order at B&H and found it on Amazon. Seller isn't Amazon directly but The Camera Box, they don't have it on the website yet so I called them to order directly and get 2 day shipping. Really want to try them stacked and there is a 15% restocking fee so if it doesn't work then think I may just keep one on the 60-250 and the other on the 300. But trying to save up for the Sigma 500/4 or that 560 beast so not sure.

So jealous riseform! Very nice.
Thanks for the link.
04-01-2014, 01:22 AM   #374
Unregistered User

I ordered a second tc today. Not sure if it will work stacked and would hope the engineers thought of that when they did the firmware.
If you stack them the autofocusing will not work as good as with only one. Also the camera will only see one TC so the focal length will still read 420 on the DA*300.
04-01-2014, 04:44 AM   #375

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
If you stack them the autofocusing will not work as good as with only one. Also the camera will only see one TC so the focal length will still read 420 on the DA*300.
So I found out this weekend... And with just one tc if the light isn't good it seems to hunt a bit more than without the tc. IQ isn't as good on the DA*300 or the DA*60-250 when stacked I believe. Focusing may be part of that too I need to play with it more, it certainly requires more light. The 300 even with just one tc makes steadiness a requirement and motion blur becomes an issue if I'm not careful especially with BIF. With just one tc it has given some very good pictures as long as I do my part.

With 2 stacked it is still a work in progress yet, most pictures are a little soft at 540mm but DOF could be part of it also.