Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I downloaded the largest versions and viewed them full screen on my 27" screen, and there is quite a bit more detail in the TC shot, IMHO.
OK, thanks, I only have a 15in laptop, so sometimes it's hard to compare !

have you seen these 34in curved monitors?
Review: A 34-Inch 3440x1440 Monitor is Great for Photo Editing, So is it Better if You Curve It?
That should be crazy for photo PP!

11-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #452
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
OK, thanks, I only have a 15in laptop, so sometimes it's hard to compare !

have you seen these 34in curved monitors?
Review: A 34-Inch 3440x1440 Monitor is Great for Photo Editing, So is it Better if You Curve It?
That should be crazy for photo PP!

I'm just waiting for a decent cost IPS 4K monitor.
11-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #453
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Me too. Waiting impatiently.

There's already the Dell UP2414Q (4K, 24 inches) for well under $1,000 but it has problematic compatibility. It requires multi stream transport (MST), where two separate half-resolution data streams are displayed side by side on the same monitor because its interfaces aren't fast enough to handle 4K at 60Hz in a single data stream. Each stream looks like a separate monitor to the operating system, and some display drivers are smart enough to handle this well while others struggle. (And if you want to try to adjust your BIOS settings or whatever before the OS drivers load, well, I promise it will be weird.)

Asus has the 27 inch PB279Q coming out sometime this year, hopefully, for under $1,000. It's supposed to do 60Hz with a single stream. And there's another Dell 24-incher on the horizon (P2415Q) but I don't think much is known about it yet.
11-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #454
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Me too. Waiting impatiently.

There's already the Dell UP2414Q (4K, 24 inches) for well under $1,000 but it has problematic compatibility. It requires multi stream transport (MST), where two separate half-resolution data streams are displayed side by side on the same monitor because its interfaces aren't fast enough to handle 4K at 60Hz in a single data stream. Each stream looks like a separate monitor to the operating system, and some display drivers are smart enough to handle this well while others struggle. (And if you want to try to adjust your BIOS settings or whatever before the OS drivers load, well, I promise it will be weird.)
...plus I'll never give another $1 to Dell, but that's just me...

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Asus has the 27 inch PB279Q coming out sometime this year, hopefully, for under $1,000. It's supposed to do 60Hz with a single stream. And there's another Dell 24-incher on the horizon (P2415Q) but I don't think much is known about it yet.
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll get a new video card with HDMI2 or whatever it's called but we'll see.

11-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #455
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
...plus I'll never give another $1 to Dell, but that's just me...
Off topic, but why ? I had Dell laptops for years and they are very reliable !
11-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #456
Pentaxian

I thought the same, but then even with 2560x1440 Windows application look really bad and fiddling with fonts sizes messes up pretty much everything.
On top of that having a second monitor of much smaller resolution (1280x1024) puts you in a quandary - do you prefer extremely small on you big screen or a total of approx 16 pixels on the small one.

Going 4K would be probably 2x worse. The prices are there, now I have to wait for Microsoft to get a clue.
11-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #457
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Off topic, but why ? I had Dell laptops for years and they are very reliable !

I had a Dell that eventually had a class action lawsuit for overheating.

But, at let's say warranty expiration - 3 days or so, my laptop starts overheating. It shuts down repeatedly on it's own due to some protection circuit or something.

I call up Dell support. It actually took me a couple of days to get through with them. They make me try a few things. Each thing takes about a day, because I needed to use the laptop for a couple of hours to have the problem occur.

On about expiration minus one day, they tell me to flash the bios. I tell them that I really don't think this will help the problem. They tell me that if I want to continue down the path of them helping, I need to flash the bios.

I flash the bios.

The laptop bricks.

I call Dell. They say I'm now out of warranty and I can purchase a new motherboard for $400 and have it installed at my expense.

Never another $1.

---------- Post added 11-07-14 at 03:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
I thought the same, but then even with 2560x1440 Windows application look really bad and fiddling with fonts sizes messes up pretty much everything.
On top of that having a second monitor of much smaller resolution (1280x1024) puts you in a quandary - do you prefer extremely small on you big screen or a total of approx 16 pixels on the small one.

Going 4K would be probably 2x worse. The prices are there, now I have to wait for Microsoft to get a clue.
I have a 2560x1440 right now and I'm quite happy. I actually also have a second monitor that's 1920x1080 and... I'm still happy. I just have certain applications that I put on one monitor vs the other.

I want the 4k monitor and then I'll make a different monitor my second monitor... haven't decided if I'll keep the 2560x1440 at home or if I'll take it in to work to use there.

11-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #458
Pentaxian

I have a 2560x1440 right now and I'm quite happy. I actually also have a second monitor that's 1920x1080 and... I'm still happy. I just have certain applications that I put on one monitor vs the other.

I want the 4k monitor and then I'll make a different monitor my second monitor... haven't decided if I'll keep the 2560x1440 at home or if I'll take it in to work to use there.
The trouble is that at work I have dual 1920x1080 screens so I'm used to treating them equally in terms what goes where. At home I have to keep track of that, readjust focus every time I look to other screen, and generally stay aware of the physical properties of screens.

Anyway, I digress... but if I buy a 4K monitor, I'll buy two on the spot.
11-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #459
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a Dell that eventually had a class action lawsuit for overheating.

But, at let's say warranty expiration - 3 days or so, my laptop starts overheating. It shuts down repeatedly on it's own due to some protection circuit or something.

I call up Dell support. It actually took me a couple of days to get through with them. They make me try a few things. Each thing takes about a day, because I needed to use the laptop for a couple of hours to have the problem occur.

On about expiration minus one day, they tell me to flash the bios. I tell them that I really don't think this will help the problem. They tell me that if I want to continue down the path of them helping, I need to flash the bios.

I flash the bios.

The laptop bricks.

I call Dell. They say I'm now out of warranty and I can purchase a new motherboard for $400 and have it installed at my expense.

Never another $1.

---------- Post added 11-07-14 at 03:28 PM ----------

Sorry about your bad experience with Dell. I have owned 5 of their notebooks over the last 10 years with excellent results. Right now I have the XPS 15 (9530) with a 3200x1800 screen which is gorgeous. The difference is easy to spot with good photos.
11-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #460
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Sorry about your bad experience with Dell. I have owned 5 of their notebooks over the last 10 years with excellent results. Right now I have the XPS 15 (9530) with a 3200x1800 screen which is gorgeous. The difference is easy to spot with good photos.
I only WISH my current Dell display would die. It's an 1800FP from (gulp) 2002.
11-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #461
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Once technology gets past a certain age it seems to last for ever.
11-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #462
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
DELL announced a 5K btw. No sign of proper colour rendition though

AFAICT (never experienced) Asus (I think it is the PA serie) offers affordable IPS screens.
No 4K yet but 99% Adobe RGB, 2560x1440, IPS, 27", pre-calibrated --> PA279Q