Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 03:38 AM - 2 Likes   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PENTAX-DA AF-KONVERTER 1,4x + FluCard - first impressions (in German)

02-06-2014, 04:06 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very encouraging report, can't wait to see pictures!
02-06-2014, 04:06 AM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by on9ye Quote
Can i use it with my PZ1p?
In (proper) autofocus mode, most certainly no, in manual mode why not.
02-06-2014, 04:14 AM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
He was talking about the 50-135 + TC…

If the 50-135 works well with TC on FF, it will be an interesting combo for those upgrading to FF.
My apologies, my mind was busy thinking at the * Telephoto... I shouldn't browse that fast through threads.

About the RC covering "full frame", is there any other source - preferable a Ricoh Imaging one - that claims this, besides DPReview?

02-06-2014, 04:48 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Great to read that focal length x 1.4 is properly reported to the body, essential for SR to work properly. Also the maximum aperture on the DA*300/4 is reported as f/5.6 on the TC, again great so that it can be taken into account.

I wonder whether the FA*300/4.5 would also work on this TC. I expect it would, since the TC supports screw drive and the way the FA* communicates focal length and aperture to the body is identical to later lenses. Otherwise, and depending on results, I might be forced to finally replace my FA*300/4.5 by a DA*300/4. So far I never felt the need...

Wim
02-06-2014, 06:43 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Great to read that focal length x 1.4 is properly reported to the body, essential for SR to work properly. Also the maximum aperture on the DA*300/4 is reported as f/5.6 on the TC, again great so that it can be taken into account.

I wonder whether the FA*300/4.5 would also work on this TC. I expect it would, since the TC supports screw drive and the way the FA* communicates focal length and aperture to the body is identical to later lenses. Otherwise, and depending on results, I might be forced to finally replace my FA*300/4.5 by a DA*300/4. So far I never felt the need...

Wim
If it does report the focal length and max aperture correctly that would be a major improvement over every TC out there in K-mount.

This does seem like you are going to see a lot of FA* telephotos on the marketplace. Of course FA* could use screw drive TCs so I guess people would use a 3rd party TC. We wont know if it's functional until someone tries it out with it.
02-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
TC's only make sense if you are maxing out your lens length with the lenses that you have. Aside from about a half dozen lenses you would be better off getting a longer lens instead of TC
Yes. But one of the exceptions may be the DA-F 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR.

It is sometimes useful to get a bit further away from the subject with macro photography. I wonder what the combination of TC + 100mm Macro will be like?

02-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
If it does report the focal length and max aperture correctly that would be a major improvement over every TC out there in K-mount.

This does seem like you are going to see a lot of FA* telephotos on the marketplace. Of course FA* could use screw drive TCs so I guess people would use a 3rd party TC. We wont know if it's functional until someone tries it out with it.
Note the announced TC does support screw drive. All DA limited primes are listed as compatible, and these are all screw drive. So I'm not yet counting on my FA* going onto the marketplace. I still assume the firmware upgrade is to allow for lens corrections to be applied correctly given the presence of the TC. Sth which does not work anyway with FA* glass as it is I believe.

Another plus of this WR TC is the sealing it most likely has on the body side which means the lens mount would also be sealed off when using non-WR lenses, and no dirt would be able to get into the camera.

Wim
02-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote

It is sometimes useful to get a bit further away from the subject with macro photography. I wonder what the combination of TC + 100mm Macro will be like?
I used to use my Tamron 1.4x on my Tamron SP90/2.8 macro for that reason. It worked just fine for working distance and I could get more magnification at shortest distance as well. Nowadays I have a Sigma EX180/3.5 macro which allows me to keep my distance and my camera allows more crop. Should I decide to get the TC, I'll probably try it on that lens as well, though hand holding that combo will become very hard (the main reason why I don't use the Tamron 1.4x on the 180mm macro).

Wim
02-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Tess loves the 1.7 TC plus Tamron 90 macro combination... it will probably be stellar.
02-06-2014, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
If manufacturer a can only make a profit @500 and manufacturer B also needs $500 why would manufacturer C be able to sell at $250?
Manufacturers A, B and C should sell at $100. Because profit is evil, and is the exact amount by which labor is undercompensated for its work and consumers are exploited by their greedy corporate oligarchs., don'tcha know.
02-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #102
Veteran Member

I guess I should apologize for my shock and dismay at a 600 price. since I don't own and don't care about canikon, I've never price compared brand TCs. so I guess if canikon sells their TC's for around the same price, its ok.

and so as one of the uninitiated, I must conclude that weather sealing is worth an extra $300 over a tamron or $400 over a sigma, or almost $500 over the vivitar I have (which is the tamron just without something but I've not missed that something so I don't even remember what it was)

and btw, my $115 vivitar on my sigma 100-300 is pretty darn good. I've got several images that if I didn't tell you they were with the TC until you get to about 200% pixel peeping you wouldn't even know.

so again, I apologize for my shock and dismay at what I consider a very high price for a TC. and I sincerely apologize for being the second post. I fully intend to wait until the 4th or 5th post from now on to voice dissention so that I might maintain my lemming status slightly longer.

Last edited by nomadkng; 02-06-2014 at 09:02 AM.
02-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I guess I should apologize for my shock and dismay at a 600 price. since I don't own and don't care about canikon, I've never price compared brand TCs. so I guess if canikon sells their TC's for around the same price, its ok.

and so as one of the uninitiated, I must conclude that weather sealing is worth an extra $300 over a tamron or $400 over a sigma, or almost $500 over the vivitar I have (which is the tamron just without something but I've not missed that something so I don't even remember what it was)

and btw, my $115 vivitar on my sigma 100-300 is pretty darn good. I've got several images that if I didn't tell you they were with the TC until you get to about 200% pixel peeping you wouldn't even know.

so again, I apologize for my shock and dismay at what I consider a very high price for a TC. and I sincerely apologize for being the second post. I fully intend to wait until the 4th or 5th post from now on to voice dissention so that I might maintain my lemming status slightly longer.
Wait a year... if it's not $399 I'll be surprised.
02-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #104
Veteran Member

The 100 macro is one of the half dozen or so that would get a big benefit from the TC for sure.
02-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #105
Veteran Member

$600 is a ridiculous price. I'd be prepared to pay $350 to $400 for the weather sealing and correct focal length reporting.

Otherwise my $200 Tamron AF-PZ 1.4x, which gives really good IQ and which works well with my 18-135, 60-250 and Sigma 50-500 and 17-70 lenses, not to mention screw drive lenses will definitely not be replaced.

Ricoh disappoints yet again with its price gouging, but good news for sellers of the Tamron 1.4x and Pentax-F 1.7x TCs!