Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #256
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
Can anyone tell me if this new teleconverter is compatible with sigma and tamron lenses? everyone seems to be talking about pentax lenses and complaining! they are not the only lenses used on pentax camera's!
A good point, I am waiting to see if anyone with the Sigma 500 has success with this TC and feels the extended reach is better than cropping/

03-09-2014, 06:26 AM   #257
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Holy, cajolie... send me a Sigma 500, I'll test it for you....

I've used it with the tamron 90macro, and Sigma 70 macro and it works great...Calculates your focal length and puts in in the exif, allows you to use selective focus,

Tamron 90

Sigma 70 macro

I can't imagine there'd be an issue with the Sigma 500, but I only have access to a Sigma 500 in my day dreams, when I don't have to carry it. Any top end long glass should work with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick in Ohio Quote
I hope someone can try the new tc on one of the older camera bodies to see if it will work. Not sure why it would not work on my K-200D.

Rick
I tried it on my K-x with the 60-250. It didn't focus reliably in medium light (dusk). Almost all the cameras it's rated to work on have at least -1 EV focusing systems, the newest have -3 EV focusing systems, that are rated for ƒ 2.8. My guess is the older focusing systems don't have the low light focusing ability to be reliable with the loss of a stop you get when you put the TC on. My 60-250 ƒ4 becomes a lens with a minimum aperture of ƒ 5.6. IN low light on the K-x, focusing needs coaxing. Put the tamron 90 2.8 on the K-x and it works fine. There is a lot of Pentax glass that probably wouldn't work well with the TC on an older body.

Last edited by normhead; 03-09-2014 at 06:55 AM.
03-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #258
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A better question is, are 3rd-party Sigma and Tamron lenses compatible with this OEM teleconverter?
Good point. Pentax is not in business to cater to 3rd party manufacturers.
03-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried the 1.4 X rear converter on a Sigma HSM lens (18-250) and it doesn't accurately reflect focal length and focus is hard to obtain since it is such a slow lens. Not too surprising.

Dale

03-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #260
Veteran Member

1.7 tc

Taken with DA*300 + AF1.7TC F8,ISO400 K5II don't think the new 1.4 will do better,but maybe will lock focus quicker as many missed shots in the branches before 1 locked on,so quality may not improve ,only my nerves as more keepers
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
03-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #261
Veteran Member

Also add in the fully effective SR due to corrects FL reporting.
03-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #262

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
A good point, I am waiting to see if anyone with the Sigma 500 has success with this TC and feels the extended reach is better than cropping/
Will someone please answer my question? there is no point in having this TC if it is not compatible with my sigma and Tamron lenses, I only have 1 pentax (100mm macro WR) lens as sigma and tamron are better quality lenses for my camera and at better prices.

---------- Post added 03-10-14 at 09:57 AM ----------

A better question is, are 3rd-party Sigma and Tamron lenses compatible with this OEM teleconverter?
Kunzite you have just asked the same question as myself!

03-09-2014, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #263
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I have no idea whether the new converter will work with my sigma 500 but I am very happy with the tamron 1.4 adapter...bob I haven't noticed any issues with lost detail...this has been cropped and I used the teleconverter 1.4 and the aperture was 7.1 and I think it looks pretty darn good...if you want to play with my sigma 1.4 ex I would be happy to ship to you...it works with the 500 as well...

03-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #264
Veteran Member

Will someone please answer my question? there is no point in having this TC if it is not compatible with my sigma and Tamron lenses,
See Normheads post a little above yours...
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've used it with the tamron 90macro, and Sigma 70 macro and it works great..
There are a lot of Tamron and Sigma lenses out there though. Not all may be suitable, just as not all Pentax lenses may be suitable.

---------- Post added 2014-03-10 at 02:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
this has been cropped a
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
I think it looks pretty darn good
It certainly does. The bird looks like it is about to jump right out of the page. Excellent shot.
03-10-2014, 12:52 AM   #265

Ok thankyou, the lenses that i will use the TC for will be 70-200 f2.8 tamron, 70-300 sigma, and if i get my new lens the 50-500 sigma f4.5-6.3 maybe others too they are sigma lenses the only pentax lens i have the 100mm macro WR.
03-10-2014, 01:38 AM   #266
Pentaxian

Kunzite you have just asked the same question as myself!
Yes and no.
What I pointed out is that Pentax has no reason to make sure their rear converters works with 3rd-party lenses using - in some cases - reverse engineered protocols. It's always the 3rd-party maker who has to be compatible with the OEM technology, and not the other way around.

After my RC will arrive (if only Ricoh Europe could be bothered to send one here...) I'll try testing it on a friend's 100-300 Sigma. But I think you'll already know by then... as the reports already started to show up; sorry, I'm not very helpful.
03-10-2014, 01:42 AM   #267

great! so it looks like the new pentax 1.4x rear teleconverter will NOT be compatible with sigma and tamron lenses.
03-10-2014, 02:02 AM   #268
Pentaxian

That's not what I wrote, and it's not what people are reporting.
It could be that Sigma reverse engineered, and Tamron implemented Pentax' protocols well enough so that it will work.
03-10-2014, 05:56 AM   #269
Veteran Member

it looks like the new pentax 1.4x rear teleconverter will NOT be compatible with sigma and tamron lenses.
Some may work, some may not. Just like with some of the existing TC from Pentax, Sigma, Tamron, Kenko etc. Even the existing Sigma TC won't work with all Sigma lenses.

70-300 sigma, and if i get my new lens the 50-500 sigma
I'd be reluctant to put any TC on either of those lenses, simply because of their slow apertures.
03-10-2014, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #270
Veteran Member

Yes and no.
What I pointed out is that Pentax has no reason to make sure their rear converters works with 3rd-party lenses using - in some cases - reverse engineered protocols. It's always the 3rd-party maker who has to be compatible with the OEM technology, and not the other way around.
great! so it looks like the new pentax 1.4x rear teleconverter will NOT be compatible with sigma and tamron lenses.
That's not what I wrote, and it's not what people are reporting.
It could be that Sigma reverse engineered, and Tamron implemented Pentax' protocols well enough so that it will work.
If this Teleconverter has super IQ and AF with the DA* 300mm f/4, the DA* 60-250mm f/4, and the D-FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro, and is rubbish with every other lens, it will be worth every penny to me! If Ricoh/Pentax has compromised the quality of this Teleconverter with those lenses in order to make it work with lots of other lenses, I will be disappointed.

What I am saying is that we all have our priorities, and Ricoh/Pentax has to choose who to make happy in line with their own business objectives. They want to sell lots of Teleconverters, but they also want to sell lots of the three lenses I've identified above. And lots of K-mount bodies that work well with those top-end K-mount lenses plus the Teleconverter, for all of us nature, wildlife, motor-sport, and airshow photographers.

I have the Sigma 500mm f/4.5 APO EX DG, and of course I want it to work with that too! But I can get (and have) other Teleconverters that work with that lens. It is lower priority for me. (I also have another Sigma lens and a Samyang lens, and those are even lower priority).