Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
Norm don't have a go at Pentax for a slow TC when you have an old Camera!! that is stupid!!
You might not have noticed, but I mentioned that while the K-x didn't work with my ƒ4 lens and 1.4 TC, it did work with my ƒ2.8 lens and 1.4 TC. Nothing is stupid, you just have to know the parameters that apply in each circumstance. There are times when I have that K-x along for the ride as a back-up body. If you might take it with you, you better know how it works.

03-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #287
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And still, theres no firmware upgrade for the Kx so if there'sd be a firmware it could have been a lot better.
Is that a limit of technology or a missing software upgrade ?
03-13-2014, 12:09 AM   #288
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The K-x also missed out on the GPS module firmware update while the K-r got it. Whether it's a hardware limitation or not I don't know, but Pentax have drawn a line in the sand and the K-x is on the wrong side of it.
Well, in this case, it seems pretty clear to me.
03-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got mine a couple of days ago. I was in a hurry to meet a friend, so I did not download the firmware update--I just confirmed that it coupled and that the AF was operational and off I went. Disappointed so far with my 300mm f/4 DA*. More later after the firmware download.
Has anyone tried it with any of the FA* lenses?
The coyote was shot at a great distance out the passenger window of my friend's truck. I am not sure if he had shut off his engine by the time I made the exposure.
The hummer was quite close and shot from a tripod. The lighting for a hummer was difficult, but I did not like the lack of sharpness.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #290
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
I got mine a couple of days ago. I was in a hurry to meet a friend, so I did not download the firmware update--I just confirmed that it coupled and that the AF was operational and off I went. Disappointed so far with my 300mm f/4 DA*. More later after the firmware download.
The coyote was shot at a great distance out the passenger window of my friend's truck. I am not sure if he had shut off his engine by the time I made the exposure.
The hummer was quite close and shot from a tripod. The lighting for a hummer was difficult, but I did not like the lack of sharpness.
Does your DA*300 focus sharp without the TC? mine had to be adjusted from new at the service center,as front focusing. with that shutter speed & aperture you should have a sharper image...I was planning to get this one for AF,as my AF1.7 is too slow sometimes..wonder if its a bad copy you got?
03-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a quick comment about the hummer shot, depending on how close you were to the hummer, the depth of focus even at f7.1 will be about an inch. Considering the twig in front of the hummer is in focus you may be out the area of sharpest focus.
03-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #292
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I called Lozeau and they had one, so I cancelled my order with Henry's. I am thrilled that I will have it for our trip to Mexico next week. I have a couple of birding trips planned.
Why did you change store?
Just curious.

JP

03-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Why did you change store?
Just curious.

JP
Henry's didn't have one in stock, and couldn't tell me when they might have one. I had the distinct impression they didn't check either, just repeated the same answer twice, "can't guarantee delivery times for non-stock items."

The salesman at Lozeau told me he had one in his hand when I called, so I ordered it, shipped via courier. So far I haven't been able to confirm that they shipped, which is annoying. If I have to leave for Mexico before it gets here, I will carry a grudge forever.
03-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #294
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The wolf looks just slightly OOF, with the focus on some of the grass behind it.
03-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #295
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The wolf looks just slightly OOF, with the focus on some of the grass behind it.
K-5...giant center focus point.
03-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #296
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Does your DA*300 focus sharp without the TC? mine had to be adjusted from new at the service center,as front focusing. with that shutter speed & aperture you should have a sharper image...I was planning to get this one for AF,as my AF1.7 is too slow sometimes..wonder if its a bad copy you got?
Shanti--THANK YOU!!! No, I have never been that fond to the f/4 DA*. My old f/4.5 FA* is WAY sharper. But just got back from a shoot with it attached to the 1.4x and not wild about that either. But happy to report that at least the 300FA* works-I'd guess that the whole series does too.
Is there a third party company you can recommend that I send the F/4DA* to?
Thanks again.
Jack

---------- Post added 03-13-14 at 07:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Thanks JD-
I am not worried about the TC performance on this shot. The critter was far away, and moving fast. And I am not known to have the steadiest hand either.
Jack

---------- Post added 03-13-14 at 07:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
K-5...giant center focus point.
Thanks Cali--
I use a single focus spot in the center, but your commet makes sense if the K5 opted for the twig rather than the feathers, that may be what happened.
Jack
03-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #297
Veteran Member

Shanti--THANK YOU!!! No, I have never been that fond to the f/4 DA*. My old f/4.5 FA* is WAY sharper.
That says "problem" to me. The 300 f/4.5 should not be "way sharper". If anything the DA* should be slightly sharper.

Focus was off with my first copy of the DA*300 (needed +3 AF Adjust on my K20D). I returned it and the replacement focusses accurately and is tack sharp. Have you done any AF testing?

Last edited by audiobomber; 03-13-2014 at 10:21 PM.
03-13-2014, 09:43 PM   #298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just read the thread from the beginning... lots of interesting infos here !
I was wondering if it would be whortwhile on a FA* 250-600mm f5.6, even though they say one needs a f4 or better for focusing... f5.6 would become f8 lens, and I often try to shoot at f8 anyways...
I recently acquired the rear converter-a 1.4x-L (one of the sharpest TC), but I really miss the AF when I use it...

Last edited by Weevil; 03-13-2014 at 09:53 PM.
03-13-2014, 11:13 PM   #299
Veteran Member

F/8 would be even less dof at the long end...So you might end up using f/11.

Prob better off cropping in real life....
03-13-2014, 11:43 PM   #300
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Cross posted from the other TC thread...

Heres a few more images for you to look at..
A few quick images from this morning...
Really nice photos, normhead - both here and in the other thread. I've never had a chance to see your shots before.

The new TC looks really good, but most importantly, you really make good use of your equipment!