Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2014, 11:51 PM   #301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
F/8 would be even less dof at the long end...So you might end up using f/11.

Prob better off cropping in real life....
Does the DoF at f5.6 would be the same with the TC (which would read f8) ?

03-14-2014, 12:52 AM   #302

QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
I got mine a couple of days ago. I was in a hurry to meet a friend, so I did not download the firmware update--I just confirmed that it coupled and that the AF was operational and off I went. Disappointed so far with my 300mm f/4 DA*. More later after the firmware download.
Has anyone tried it with any of the FA* lenses?
The coyote was shot at a great distance out the passenger window of my friend's truck. I am not sure if he had shut off his engine by the time I made the exposure.
The hummer was quite close and shot from a tripod. The lighting for a hummer was difficult, but I did not like the lack of sharpness.
Pntxjack i wish you would stop bagging this new TC like normhead! give it time! plus you never uploaded the firmware to your camera!
03-14-2014, 02:21 AM   #303
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
I just read the thread from the beginning... lots of interesting infos here !
I was wondering if it would be whortwhile on a FA* 250-600mm f5.6, even though they say one needs a f4 or better for focusing... f5.6 would become f8 lens, and I often try to shoot at f8 anyways...
I recently acquired the rear converter-a 1.4x-L (one of the sharpest TC), but I really miss the AF when I use it...

In my testing for screw drive the absolute max usable native aperture is f6.3

This is with a K3 and tested using Tamron 18-250 and Sigma 50-500 EX DG.

Both these I'd describe as positive but hunts at lock i.e zzzzzz stop z stop z lock

My 400 telemacro AF's again without issue but would describe this as hesitant i.e zzzzzzzzzz stop z lock

As against <= F4 being zzzzzzzzz lock
03-14-2014, 03:50 AM   #304
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine comes tomorrow so first test will be with the FA* 250-600mm f5.6.

Then the DA* and HSM lenses.

03-14-2014, 04:36 AM   #305
Veteran Member

I used my kenko 1.5x with my Sigma 150-500 on without any Af problems as long as there's enough light
03-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #306
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Does the DoF at f5.6 would be the same with the TC (which would read f8) ?
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.

A 500 mm F/4 lens becomes a 700mm F/5.6 with a t/c. At 700mm F/5.6 there is less dof than at 500mm F/4... so you might stop down slightly more, depending on many things of course.
03-14-2014, 07:00 AM - 4 Likes   #307
Pentaxian

I haven't kept up with this thread...and I've used the TC quite a bit in the last week.... so a few more images.

It's become one of those pieces of kit I just won't leave home without.

03-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #308

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That says "problem" to me. The 300 f/4.5 should not be "way sharper". If anything the DA* should be slightly sharper.

Focus was off with my first copy of the DA*300 (needed +3 AF Adjust on my K20D). I returned it and the replacement focusses accurately and is tack sharp. Have you done any AF testing?
Interesting, last weekend I finally figured out my DA*300 needed +3 adjustment because it was back focusing. Was driving me crazy because I couldn't get a decent shot no matter what I did with it. I have had my K-3 and lenses for ~6 weeks. I feel that it still isn't perfect with +3 and plan on doing more testing on a tripod comparing it to my DA*60-250 this weekend. It sounds like Pentax will exchange lenses based on the fact that it requires fine adjustment then? My tc is still on order, wish it would come sooner than later but I want as sharp of an image with the DA*300 before I use it. Otherwise it will not do me much good on that lens.
03-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #309
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote

*jealous
03-14-2014, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #310
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's become one of those pieces of kit I just won't leave home without.
I can see why! Those marten photos are outstanding, and the bird photos are just great, especially the first nuthatch.

My TC will, be here on Monday.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cold Iron Quote
It sounds like Pentax will exchange lenses based on the fact that it requires fine adjustment then?
I think it depends on the retail store's policy.

I've done both, sent a lens back to Pentax for calibration (DA 18-135, DA 15mm Ltd) and returned a DA*300 to the store for exchange. I was happy with the performance of the first two. I wasn't comfortable with auto-focus on the first copy of the 300mm, so I insisted the dealer exchange it rather than repair.
03-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #311
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
Pntxjack i wish you would stop bagging this new TC like normhead! give it time! plus you never uploaded the firmware to your camera!
You made this same comment to someone else in a different thread on the same subject. Perhaps you should stop telling other members what they should and shouldn't post!!
03-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #312
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I can see why! Those marten photos are outstanding, and the bird photos are just great, especially the first nuthatch.

Yes amazing shots you got there Norm!! I can never get that close to them

My TC will, be here on Monday.

I think it depends on the retail store's policy.

I've done both, sent a lens back to Pentax for calibration (DA 18-135, DA 15mm Ltd) and returned a DA*300 to the store for exchange. I was happy with the performance of the first two. I wasn't comfortable with auto-focus on the first copy of the 300mm, so I insisted the dealer exchange it rather than repair.
my DA*300 was Front focusing & they just fixed it,was not allowed to exchange for a new one!! this is Pentax Sweden..but its fine so no problems.. had a feeling they had no more in stock as Pentax is not so popular here
03-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #313
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
It ain't a bottle of wine!!! (Downloaded and installed the firmware update last night. Took my camera out this morning. Images still look like some one soaked my camera in a tub of Pepsi Cola over night.)
This is what the lens (300mm F/4.5 FA*) that the 1.4xTC went behind is capable of. You don't want to see what I got with the TC.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
You don't want to see what I got with the TC.
Sure we do.
Please post the serial number of the unit as well if you decide to return it, since from what you describe it may have an issue.
Others seem to get better results from theirs so far.
03-15-2014, 06:19 AM   #315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote

Great ! I'll watch this thread with more interest now !