Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #166
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,781
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Well that's confusing for folks with one brand being marketed by two owners.
It's'the same with Rolls-Royce for instance: the brand name belongs to Vickers for aircraft engines and to BMW for cars.

02-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #167
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,426
And here there are separate domains (medical and consumer cameras) as well. Hoya and Ricoh are not the only companies using the Pentax brand, by the way I think Seiko "killed" their Pentax brand, though (can anyone confirm?)
02-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #168
Forum Member
Beaugrand's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 63
I have a couple of Pentax cameras that carry the Honeywell name as well.
02-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #169
Forum Member
liquid0's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 51
Interesting.

02-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #170
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,302
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I think Seiko "killed" their Pentax brand, though (can anyone confirm?)
SEIKO Optical Europe GmbH :: PENTAX
02-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #171
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 202
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And here there are separate domains (medical and consumer cameras) as well. Hoya and Ricoh are not the only companies using the Pentax brand, by the way I think Seiko "killed" their Pentax brand, though (can anyone confirm?)
You can buy Pentax eyeglasses now, but I'm not sure if they're new products or not. Seiko Optical Instruments used to sell Pentax after it merged with Pentax glasses division.

BTW, there is one more company which sells Pentax products; TI Asahi, which makes and sells surveying instruments. Pentax's surveying instrument division was sold to Taiwan Instruments (that's why the company's name is "TI" Asahi). Its domain is "Pentaxsurveying.com".
02-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #172
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
So the Pentax-cake did get divided in many pieces.
02-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #173
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,493
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And here there are separate domains (medical and consumer cameras) as well. Hoya and Ricoh are not the only companies using the Pentax brand, by the way I think Seiko "killed" their Pentax brand, though (can anyone confirm?)
4/10/12 Seiko and Hoya entered a basic strategic agreement to jointly develop and market eyewear. Epson simultaneously sold its eyewear operations to Hoya. I still see Pentax-branded lenses at my Optician but they could be old stock.

02-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #174
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,450
My local Wal-Mart carries Nikon lenses...
02-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #175
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 202
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
My local Wal-Mart carries Nikon lenses...
Right. Nikon lenses are now in the hands of a joint company of Nikon and Essilor, French optics maker.
02-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #176
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 691
QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
Right. Nikon lenses are now in the hands of a joint company of Nikon and Essilor, French optics maker.
Who knows... maybe someday Pentax cameras/lenses could end up at Zeiss where I think the name was originally copyrighted way back.
02-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #177
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,302
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Who knows... maybe someday Pentax cameras/lenses could end up at Zeiss where I think the name was originally copyrighted way back.
That trademark was vacated at the end of WW II along with all other German patents and trademarks. Pentax = Pentaprism + Contax. The Contax trademark is owned by Kyocera who stopped using it in 2005.
02-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #178
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 691
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That trademark was vacated at the end of WW II along with all other German patents and trademarks. Pentax = Pentaprism + Contax. The Contax trademark is owned by Kyocera who stopped using it in 2005.
True.... but one never knows. It would be nice if a German optical company would make cameras that were close to being in the price point of the Japanese cameras. Heck.... why not an American company?
02-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #179
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,302
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
True.... but one never knows. It would be nice if a German optical company would make cameras that were close to being in the price point of the Japanese cameras. Heck.... why not an American company?
Because the names Polaroid and Kodak belong to the Chinese junk dealers now. Besides, Apple sells more cameras than any of the camera companies.
02-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #180
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 691
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Because the names Polaroid and Kodak belong to the Chinese junk dealers now. Besides, Apple sells more cameras than any of the camera companies.
I know.... guess that I'm just lamenting the fact that we just don't make hardly any quality consumer products here anymore. I don't mind buying quality Japanese and German products but I'd like to see the US making things like they did when I was a kid... and the Apple products are made in China..........
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
brand, brands, business, cameras, consumer, contax, day, diameter, engineers, gxr, lcd, leica, name, option, pentax, pentax camera, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentax vs ricoh, products, rangefinder, register, ricoh, ricoh brand name, thread, tie, time, vs ricoh brand, wg-20, wg-4
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ricoh announces company name change - no more Pentax Ricoh Imaging, just Ricoh. rawr Pentax News and Rumors 528 10-28-2013 04:39 PM
Quality name brand lens filter Adk X Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 05-24-2012 06:47 PM
Facts about the Pentax brand name under Ricoh falconeye Pentax News and Rumors 276 08-30-2011 05:44 PM
Extra batteries for K-5: genuine Pentax or no-name brand? secateurs Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 6 10-18-2010 04:10 PM
Pentax K-R - rather interesting name - maybe it's digital version of Ricoh KR ogl Pentax News and Rumors 9 08-20-2010 11:48 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:47 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top