Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 02:50 AM   #106

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm glad that's all cleared up. Regarding Ricoh on the K3, I think Ricoh could do worse. They could start branding things like clothing lines (e.g., Marc by Marc Jacobs for Marc Jacobs). Just imagine trying to buy the new Pentax by Ricoh for Ricoh Imaging Company K3 DSLR...

02-07-2014, 03:46 AM - 3 Likes   #107
Inactive Account

Bottom line, it's a niche brand in a difficult market. Long term I think the camera makers will live to regret moving to a technology that makes expensive cameras the consumable instead of cheap film. Fast big bucks maybe but long term viability is an issue. A return to a market based on cheaper consumables (durable digital cameras but much more printing of images) would favour companies like Canon and Ricoh, who have printing within their portfolios. Not so good for Nikon.

Personally, the K3 is an outstanding camera and I could not care less Whether it has Pentax or Ricoh on the front.
02-07-2014, 03:54 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

It's just a bellows unit that allows you to use your DSLR to copy film images. It will work with Slides & Negatives, 35mm & medium format.
I used to have a Minolta negative and slide scanner that would do a tray of 4 at a time. it was convent because it hooked right up to the computer.
02-07-2014, 03:58 AM   #109

thanks for this info!

02-07-2014, 05:46 AM   #110

agree on MX-2

By limiting the Pentax name to DSLRs they shut the door for forthcoming POS cameras with retrodesign and legacy of older Pentax legendary SLRs. It's a pity, I was looking forward to a MX-2 with IQ based on the GR and retro design with VF and hot shoe.
02-07-2014, 06:35 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Indeed, a derisory strategic "branding" hesitation/orientation, that has amongst other consequences, the effect to limit your potential.
Welldone Ricoh.
02-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #112
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Indeed, a derisory strategic "branding" hesitation/orientation, that has amongst other consequences, the effect to limit your potential.
Welldone Ricoh.
Huh?

That made no sense.

02-07-2014, 06:48 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Didn't they supply you with a sheet of sand paper for that?
They didn't need the sandpaper - I was already chaffed.

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I thought they included a pre-cut strip of gaffer tape?
I'm almost on my 4th K3, you would think by now they would, right?

---------- Post added 02-07-14 at 06:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The statement should be self-evident.
Yep. The GXR. Such a brilliant idea from the Ricoh brain trust. Engineers to Engineers? I'll take Pentax engineers any day!

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
That means if there is a GXR-2 it will bear the name "Pentax"?
That would be hysterical. Seeing as the GXR was something Ricoh was so proud of and Pentax engineers promptly killed on day one, I wonder what the legacy will be.

I'm thinking a K01-GXR mashup as the logical choice.
02-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #114
Site Supporter

Why on earth are you on a fourth k-3?
02-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe?

Maybe bad strategy, maybe not. If compact sales and predictions are accurate, it might do Ricoh a favor splitting Pentax off, as it now appears they will. The premium DSLR 'Line' will benefit from the Pentax legacy (both film and digital) and the Ricoh brand cameras can play in the ever-increasing sandbox of small-format, mirror or 'less, R/F, EVF, retro, waterproof cell-photo-fighter devices.
How is that a bad thing?
Anything innovative from the Ricoh line that gets tested 'under the radar' can be easily applied to the DSLR's, without risking the higher expectations of the gearheads, reviewers and forums.
It looks like they both gain, but probably the Pentax brand gains more.
JMO,
Ron
02-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Why on earth are you on a fourth k-3?
I shoot professionally these days. It's my job, and I do it with Pentax.
Usually I have two K3 cameras running video/photo with my 2 K5 cameras doing time lapse or for stills.

Bingo.

I need more cameras!
The K3 can be on stand by with power on almost ALL day, along with a ton of other features.
It's a superb tool for what I do!

02-07-2014, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #117
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
That's too much.
I don't think it is "too much," frankly. Is it "too much" to argue that brands such as Leica, Hasselblad, and Mamiya are perceived to be in a class beyond Canon / Nikon? We are talking about perceptions, I think. If Ricoh keeps its word that they intend to bring focus to the Pentax name by delineating it as a more professional-end line, then I think it is not at all "too much" to shape perceptions of the Pentax brand being in the same class as Leica, Hasselblad, et. al. And that class is very definitely beyond the Canon / Nikon world. Indeed, Canon / Nikon have really dropped a notch in my view. They are very much consumer-grade brands now. Part of that is their ubiquity, of course, but I get the sense they each have kind of hit their ceiling in terms of market share. With medium format-ish stuff like the 645D, Pentax simply steps over Canon and Nikon and has a lot more profitable future, I think. What muddles that is every time Ricoh does stupid stuff like placing "Ricoh" on the back of the otherwise Pentax cameras. That's just corporate hubris, and it attains nothing but ticking off loyal Pentaxians and confusing those unfamiliar with the brand. If Ricoh can reign in such dopey actions and keep their word with regard to preserving Pentax for their higher-end stuff, I think they will be able to pull it off.

But then I shoot film, so what do I know?
02-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
I don't think it is "too much," frankly. Is it "too much" to argue that brands such as Leica, Hasselblad, and Mamiya are perceived to be in a class beyond Canon / Nikon? We are talking about perceptions, I think. If Ricoh keeps its word that they intend to bring focus to the Pentax name by delineating it as a more professional-end line, then I think it is not at all "too much" to shape perceptions of the Pentax brand being in the same class as Leica, Hasselblad, et. al. And that class is very definitely beyond the Canon / Nikon world. Indeed, Canon / Nikon have really dropped a notch in my view. They are very much consumer-grade brands now. Part of that is their ubiquity, of course, but I get the sense they each have kind of hit their ceiling in terms of market share. With medium format-ish stuff like the 645D, Pentax simply steps over Canon and Nikon and has a lot more profitable future, I think. What muddles that is every time Ricoh does stupid stuff like placing "Ricoh" on the back of the otherwise Pentax cameras. That's just corporate hubris, and it attains nothing but ticking off loyal Pentaxians and confusing those unfamiliar with the brand. If Ricoh can reign in such dopey actions and keep their word with regard to preserving Pentax for their higher-end stuff, I think they will be able to pull it off.

But then I shoot film, so what do I know?
My emphasis added - exactly!!!!

Coming from *me* it's discounted or poo-pooed as not being "supported by market research" or Harvard MBAs.

More people care about the Pentax brand than some folks give credit to.
Ricoh is asking the wrong people if they care about "Pentax".

02-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank goodness, and thanks Adam. If I saw Ricoh instead of Pentax on my future lenses and bodies, I would be MORE tempted to switch to the "C word" brand, or maybe the "S word" brand.
02-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
My emphasis added - exactly!!!!

Coming from *me* it's discounted or poo-pooed as not being "supported by market research" or Harvard MBAs.

More people care about the Pentax brand than some folks give credit to.
Ricoh is asking the wrong people if they care about "Pentax".

+1 again.
But actually i don't think they are asking anyone, just applying their "corporate cultural" inclination.
Branding is some king of experimental science, but "marketing" and "renommée" have their codes that shouldn't be ignored.