Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
Pentax everywhere on the body... but they should make the camera add a small "ricoh" watermark to every raw-file...
Have you read the camera manufacturer line in the K3 files?

02-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Have you read the camera manufacturer line in the K3 files?
I don't mean in the EXIFs, I was thinking about the image...
02-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

They warned us ahead of time.

Makes sense in general. Ricoh figures they can simply lump them in with their existing compacts like the GR.

The probably think they're elevating the Pentax brand, and they may be right. After all, they've just promised a new 645D, and it uses the same sensor as Phase One and Hasselblad (and possibly even Leica). With the same sensor it's awfully hard to argue that the Pentax is inferior, as Phase One's done in the past (and they were partially correct at the time). Pentax is now clearly in company with the most elite names in the business, which are above Canon and Nikon.

Ricoh doesn't need the Pentax name dragged down by anything less than the Q - even if they're some of the better WR compacts out there.

Come to think of it, they may be elevating both brands, because these new WGs are now branded with (arguably) the best compacts in the business.

Last edited by DSims; 02-05-2014 at 06:13 PM.
02-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Pentax is now clearly in company with the most elite names in the business, which are above Canon and Nikon.
That's too much.

02-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Which means if there's an MX-2 it will bear the name 'RICOH' ? Doesn't seem right
Just call it the XR-2 and make it all black instead.
02-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Just call it the XR-2 and make it all black instead.
Can't we just let the old names die instead of disgracing them with P&Ss?
02-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Can't we just let the old names die instead of disgracing them with P&Ss?

Hahahhaaaa...................AMEN!

02-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At least they haven't announced some cheap mirrorless 'L' camera.
02-05-2014, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

The name doesn't concern me. I am confused why one name instead of two. Would not one name let marketing dollars go further? Can someone who understands marketing explain?

As an example, there's a "Ricoh" billboard in NYC Times Square. The money spent on that does little for the Pentax brand. Similarly, Pentax marketing won't increase visibility of Ricoh cameras. Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. use a single brand for all cameras regardless of format.
02-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Which means if there's an MX-2 it will bear the name 'RICOH' ? Doesn't seem right
It will not be named MX-2, most likely.
Perhaps the MX-1, together with the K-01, was just an experiment to gather whatever information they required and still keep market presence. Because, well, just look at those two cameras: they are two opposites. One is the post-modern futurism, the other a total retro.
02-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Thanks for the post, Adam. Ricoh is certainly putting their stamp (pardon the pun) on Pentax, but it's getting harder and harder to argue that that's a bad thing! (IMHO, YMMV, etc etc)
Some folks consider that "Ricoh" on the back of the k-3 to be almost equivalent to a tramp stamp.

Yes, the k-3 is a great Pentax camera. But it's the first Pentax of a new era. The era of Ricoh. I think they fired a great shot right out of the gate. I hope to see more great stuff.
02-05-2014, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't mean in the EXIFs, I was thinking about the image...
Right at the center of focus.
02-05-2014, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
were people this bitter and nit-picky when digital SLR's first came out too? As far as I'm concerned, it's the innards that count. Anyways, I'd much rather be sporting Ricoh on a camera body than Hoya.
02-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The name doesn't concern me. I am confused why one name instead of two. Would not one name let marketing dollars go further? Can someone who understands marketing explain?

As an example, there's a "Ricoh" billboard in NYC Times Square. The money spent on that does little for the Pentax brand. Similarly, Pentax marketing won't increase visibility of Ricoh cameras. Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. use a single brand for all cameras regardless of format.
Sony uses "Alpha" brand which it has inherited from Minolta. Pentax could be like that.
02-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Oooh, good idea to offer those mounting accessories. Good competition with the GoPro stuff.

Adam, thanks for pointing out the quote from the PR Manager. I like this post!