Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have to say it.... PENTAX IS DOOOOOMED!!!! DOOOOOMED I SAY!

... now sell me your good lenses cheap.

02-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #32
Pentaxian

"As such, I wanted to take this opportunity to reiterate our commitment to the historical PENTAX brand. The PENTAX name will continue to appear on all of our interchangeable lens cameras, lenses and sport optics, while the Ricoh name will be reserved for our compact cameras."

I have no issue with Ricoh following this road. I've got 6 Pentax bodies...3 are SLR's. 3 are DSLR's.....I've got about 10 digital Pentax lenses and probably around the same amount of Takumar and Pentax film lenses.

When I bought my first Pentax camera body...a new 1968 Asahi Pentax S1a....that was all that Pentax made...SLR's. I've had a film point and shoot Pentax and a digital P+S...one of those WG (can't recall the name) digital Pentax P+S cameras.

But to me....the only real Pentax is either the SLR or DSLR interchangeable lens bodies.

As a long term....(46 years ) , loyal Pentax customer who really likes tradition and has bought/ buys lot's of Pentax products....I hope Ricoh remembers to cater to old customers like myself.

BTW....so far I like what Ricoh is doing with the iconic Pentax brand.

'Pentax' Les

Last edited by lesmore49; 02-05-2014 at 06:55 PM.
02-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I think this indicates that their PR team is sensitive to the attitudes of the user base.
02-05-2014, 06:51 PM - 3 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

I posted something very similar in another thread, but it seemed appropriate to share here as well, with a few updates based on new information. Forgive me if you are reading it twice...

I have been through this before. I grew up on a farm. My dad always drove Ford trucks and we also had a blue Ford tractor. In the 90's Ford Motor Company sold their agriculture division to Fiat. Over several years time Fiat removed the Ford branding, replacing it with the New Holland moniker (New Holland was a subsidiary of Ford's agriculture division that produced forage equipment). It did not happen all at once. First the New Holland name was added to the tractors in small letters below the word FORD. After a couple years they traded places and New Holland moved to the top with a small FORD below. Next the FORD was dropped all together. Finally the iconic blue oval on the front of each tractor was replaced by a newly created blue New Holland symbol.

I love Pentax, and I hope the name does not go away. I am disappointed that these new WG's are branded Ricoh. If they could put "Pentax" on the lens however, it would make me feel a little better (for that matter I think it would be a good move to start putting "Pentax" on the lenses of the GR's).

Who knows what the long term branding stagey will be? I sure don't, but I hope they do as they have said and keep the PENTAX name on the ILC and sports optics. If they don't? Well, I will be disappointed. I will even be upset, and then I will get over it and buy a Ricoh K-1. After all, it is the product I love. The name has meaning, but that meaning is an association to the product.

If the Pentax name goes away I will get over it and continue to buy nee Pentax products. I know because another company whose products I love did this to me before... and right now I am in the market to buy a blue tractor.

02-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The name doesn't concern me. I am confused why one name instead of two. Would not one name let marketing dollars go further? Can someone who understands marketing explain?

As an example, there's a "Ricoh" billboard in NYC Times Square. The money spent on that does little for the Pentax brand. Similarly, Pentax marketing won't increase visibility of Ricoh cameras. Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. use a single brand for all cameras regardless of format.
One more.

One of the reasons why Ricoh bought Pentax is that Ricoh wanted to strengthen consumer business which it deems as weak or at least to be bolstered. I'm not a marketing guy, but if Ricoh keeps its word, it would not be out of focus to assume that Pentax is going to be overlapped by Ricoh.
02-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
I posted something very similar in another thread, but it seemed appropriate to share here as well, with a few updates based on new information. Forgive me if you are reading it twice...

I have been through this before. I grew up on a farm. My dad always drove Ford trucks and we also had a blue Ford tractor. In the 90's Ford Motor Company sold their agriculture division to Fiat. Over several years time Fiat removed the Ford branding, replacing it with the New Holland moniker (New Holland was a subsidiary of Ford's agriculture division that produced forage equipment). It did not happen all at once. First the New Holland name was added to the tractors in small letters below the word FORD. After a couple years they traded places and New Holland moved to the top with a small FORD below. Next the FORD was dropped all together. Finally the iconic blue oval on the front of each tractor was replaced by a newly created blue New Holland symbol.

I love Pentax, and I hope the name does not go away. I am disappointed that these new WG's are branded Ricoh. If they could put "Pentax" on the lens however, it would make me feel a little better (for that matter I think it would be a good move to start putting "Pentax" on the lenses of the GR's).

Who knows what the long term branding stagey will be? I sure don't, but I hope they do as they have said and keep the PENTAX name on the ILC and sports optics. If they don't? Well, I will be disappointed. I will even be upset, and then I will get over it and buy a Ricoh K-1. After all, it is the product I love. The name has meaning, but that meaning is an association to the product.

If the Pentax name goes away I will get over it and continue to buy nee Pentax products. I know because another company whose products I love did this to me before... and right now I am in the market to buy a blue tractor.
02-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I must say I am surprised this wasn't self-evident to us. Pentax has been telling us this for a year.

02-05-2014, 06:59 PM - 3 Likes   #38
Inactive Account

I just realize something that Ricoh has the Pentax never had...

A Marketing Department and a PR Department that are putting thought into naming and branding.

Rejoice!!!
02-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
That's too much.
What do you mean by this?
02-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
What do you mean by this?
I mean you're exaggerating. I don't think "Pentax is now clearly in company with the most elite names in the business, which are above Canon and Nikon."
02-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #41
Banned

I believe this thread deserves to be closed, right now.
First post was enough to say it all, and many are already engaged in mindless suicide missions.
02-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Pentax is doomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
02-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
That's too much.
I don't know. I do know that back in the film days the Pentax 6 X 7 was highly regarded by professional photographers using medium format.

I used...still have...a Mamiya medium format film system...three Mamiya-Sekor lenses....one body. I used the Pentax 6 X 7 body (really liked the 90 mm F 2.8 leaf shutter lens...also the rosewood grip) occasionally and was very impressed with both the body and the lens quality and variety. The 6 X 7 was used by many studio photographers back then.

Could be that Ricoh is looking at returning to those medium format days...but with the digital 645.

Who knows at this point. We shall see , I suppose.
02-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Pentax is doomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And so is Tokyo!

I think we need a massive dose of Ativan, stat. People are flipping out. Anybody remember Datsun? Chillax.
02-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
And so is Tokyo!

I think we need a massive dose of Ativan, stat. People are flipping out. Anybody remember Datsun? Chillax.
Tokyo is doomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!